Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Sibling Relationships - 11 boy and 8 boy

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 11:24 pm
My 11 year old boy is having trouble with his relationship with his 8 year old brother. The 11 year old wants independence, understandably, but he is often mean when his 8 year old brother also wants to play with the 11 year old's group of friends. The 11 year old is having trouble having the 8 year old even attend a kids' shul program together. I understand this is likely normal tween behavior, but any advice for keeping their relationship warm?

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 1:15 am
1) Try to get the 8-year old to hang out with his own peers, so that he isn't trying to hang out with his brother's. Set them up for success! The 11yo understandably doesn't want a brother 3 years younger tagging along.

2) Make sure they have positive times together. Take them both out for ice cream together, get a new game they can play together at night.

3) Give it time.

I was the 11yo (okay not exactly, but I can relate). I have a good relationship with my sister now, but being pressured to have her around when I wanted to be with my friends did not help matters. I was somewhat embarrassed of her, and also a little threatened by her presence - she was always more self-assured than I was.

Our relationship would have been better in those years had my parents kept us apart when with friends, and given us more opportunities to spend positive time together alone.

ChanieMommy

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 2:34 am
Sometimes parents, without wanting, set this kind of thing up for failure by asking the 11 year old to let their brother tag along. I think that if you consistently defend the older's right to be free of his brother, the relationship will improve automatically...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics