Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Rice

happy chick

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:38 am
I like to bake rice in the oven, usually just w salt and spices. How do you make it different, maybe w tomato sauce or w veggies? Just looking for a variety to the same plain old boring.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:41 am
Add sautéed onion garlic and mushrooms for mushroom rice.
Red rice
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....83012

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:53 am
If it's for a fleishig meal, save gravy from chicken and add.

EsG

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:56 am
I make rice with a can of mushrooms drained and a packet of onion soup mix and a drizzle of olive oil on top. Bake for an hour covered. Omg so good.

Frumme

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:57 am
Replace the water with chicken or vegetable stock, or mix in chicken soup mix into the water.

Saute onions and peppers and mix in after the rice is cooked.

Add tumeric (or the all-purpose orange Sazon seasoning mix) to liven up the color and flavor

Hashemlovesme1

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:02 am
Has anyone tried these kinds of recipes with brown rice? When I try it, it always comes out tough.

aj1

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:02 am
EsG wrote:
I make rice with a can of mushrooms drained and a packet of onion soup mix and a drizzle of olive oil on top. Bake for an hour covered. Omg so good.

how much water do you use for it?

EsG

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:11 am
aj1 wrote:
how much water do you use for it?

The regular amount it says on the rice package. Mine says 2 cups of water per 1 cup of rice. I think different brands recommend different amounts though.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:12 am
Hashemlovesme1 wrote:
Has anyone tried these kinds of recipes with brown rice? When I try it, it always comes out tough.

Brown rice needs to bake for 1.5 hours at 375.

aliavi

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:24 am
EsG wrote:
The regular amount it says on the rice package. Mine says 2 cups of water per 1 cup of rice. I think different brands recommend different amounts though.

It depends on elevation. Typical is 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 cups of water.

aliavi

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:27 am
I use the recipe from Daniella Silver with wild rice. Lemon zest onion, bell pepper, garlic and onion. combine then top with candied almonds.

happy chick

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:16 am
EsG wrote:

Sounds yum. Can I use fresh mushrooms?

EsG

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:21 am
happy chick wrote:
Sounds yum. Can I use fresh mushrooms?

I would saute them first but yeah for sure! Fresh is always better in my opinion.

ChanieMommy

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:24 am
As a general rule, I prefer to keep the rice and gravy separted and mix it on the plate, because if you bake it together, it gets so mushed up that you have soggy rice and no liquid sauce in the end...

However, sometimes I put rice with broccoli and mushrooms in the bottom of a clay pot chicken, I add half the usual quantity of water, and chicken gravy does the rest.

also, a friend of mine had a nice afghan tchulent receipe with rice and tomato sauce... Perhaps I can find it for you...

happy chick

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:45 am
ChanieMommy wrote:
As a general rule, I prefer to keep the rice and gravy separted and mix it on the plate, because if you bake it together, it gets so mushed up that you have soggy rice and no liquid sauce in the end...

However, sometimes I put rice with broccoli and mushrooms in the bottom of a clay pot chicken, I add half the usual quantity of water, and chicken gravy does the rest.

also, a friend of mine had a nice afghan tchulent receipe with rice and tomato sauce... Perhaps I can find it for you...

I would love that! DH doesn't eat fleishig and I'm so bored of the plain potatoes/beans cholent.

ChanieMommy

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 12:13 pm
happy chick wrote:
I would love that! DH doesn't eat fleishig and I'm so bored of the plain potatoes/beans cholent.

I haven't found the afghan tchulent yet, but here are three receipes that could be interesting for you, of the top of my head.

Dafina:

Caramelise sugar (in oil)
Add water,
potatoes,
soaked chick peas (soaked over night)
salt
pepper
whole eggs in shell

Cook over night

harira (leaving out the meat and the noodles, add fresh herbs on the plate)

Red lentil dal (this is made in 30 minutes, but you can also let it on the fire for tchulent, although it tastes well cold too, as a salad)

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes