Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Torah as a girl's name?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:57 am
Is it totally crazy? I know some people are against any unusual name, so let me put it like this: would Torah be less advisable than say Rinatya or Ahavatel?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:58 am
Why would you do that??!!!

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:59 am
You'd be setting her up for a life of teasing. Don't do it. The other names are a little offbeat, but not unfair the way Torah would be. I say this as someone with an unusual name myself.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:01 am
Are any of these actual names? My children have unusual names. But they are actually names. Just not common ones.

Nothing you've mentioned sounds like it was ever used as a name?

And I wonder if you are even allowed to use "Torah" as a name for a person?

bigsis144

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:01 am
I knew a Torah growing up, I always felt really bad for her. It was a very “my parents are socially clueless Baalei Teshuva” kind of name.

ora_43

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:09 am
Yes.

And those other two are pretty bad, too.

Dear American MO people: we like creative names. That's great. We like to get creative with Hebrew and find names that are personally meaningful. Also great!

But do we really need names that so so clearly mark our kids as American? Like, "Anael" is one thing, "Renatya Naima Tamid" is another.

And honestly, past age 10 or so, not many people are saying, "I hate Tohar, I've met 3 other kids named Tohar, I wish I had a completely unique name like Kefira Azamra Kochvinezzer."

Or, in English terms: Audrey is a unique-ish name. "Desani Ferrari" and "Khaleesi" are unique in a whole different way. Be the right kind of unique.

... Sorry, OP. You just had the misfortune to post this right after a couple of similar threads about odd names.

Remember that your children are real live human beings of their own, who will really have to pronounce their names in business meetings with a straight face someday. Unique names are nice; names that nobody has ever heard of get old fast.

(#askmehowIknow Can't Believe It )

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:14 am
What Scratching Head

What the h@ck is wrong with a common name?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:21 am
Please do not do this.

naomi2

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:24 am
You can name her shabbat, or hashem, or sukkot, or tefilin, or shofar. They are slightly better than naming her Torah LOL

ChanieMommy

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:25 am
Quote:
Torah as a girl's name, does it sound crazy?

Yes, to me it sounds quite out of the norm, and I would implore you: don't

Rappel

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:27 am
No.

I know a sweet little girl named Orayta, but I don't think Torah should be used as a name. (Even Orayta seems very pretentious.) She will never feel comfortable in any religious society. Her beautiful soul is as full of light as the Torah itself, and that will be true even without the label.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:32 am
I wouldn’t do it OP. But for what it’s worth, I think you can use a super unique name (within reason) as a middle name.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:35 am
Idea! What about Atara? Nickname can be Tara which has a similar sound and also a similar meaning in a way (“crown” - we put a crown on a Torah to show honor).

etky

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:35 am
naomi2 wrote:
You can name her shabbat, or hashem, or sukkot, or tefilin, or shofar. They are slightly better than naming her Torah LOL

I know a Succah, but yes, it is a strange name.
If you like the theme of Torah you can use a permutation of the word Orayta as in Orian. I know several.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:37 am
Only give Torah if your last name is Sinai!

dorothy1

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:56 am
ora_43 wrote:
Yes.

Dear American MO people: we like creative names. That's great. We like to get creative with Hebrew and find names that are personally meaningful. Also great!

But do we really need names that so so clearly mark our kids as American? Like, "Anael" is one thing, "Renatya Naima Tamid" is another.

And honestly, past age 10 or so, not many people are saying, "I hate Tohar, I've met 3 other kids named Tohar, I wish I had a completely unique name like Kefira Azamra Kochvinezzer."

Or, in English terms: Audrey is a unique-ish name. "Desani Ferrari" and "Khaleesi" are unique in a whole different way. Be the right kind of unique.

... Sorry, OP. You just had the misfortune to post this right after a couple of similar threads about odd names.

Remember that your children are real live human beings of their own, who will really have to pronounce their names in business meetings with a straight face someday. Unique names are nice; names that nobody has ever heard of get old fast.

(#askmehowIknow Can't Believe It )

Audrey is like the non jewish equivalent of Bracha or something . Top ten name these days, or at least top 15. Unusual would be like ... A baby named Danica, Desiree, Denise, Dorothy. Usual is Ava, Charlotte , Eleanor , Bella ... these days at least .

dorothy1

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:57 am
dorothy1 wrote:
Audrey is like the non jewish equivalent of Bracha or something . Top ten name these days, or at least top 15. Unusual would be like ... A baby named Danica, Desiree, Denise, Dorothy. Usual is Ava, Charlotte , Eleanor , Bella ... these days at least .

I just realised my username is Dorothy . Ha! Not my real name !

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 11:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it totally crazy? I know some people are against any unusual name, so let me put it like this: would Torah be less advisable than say Rinatya or Ahavatel?

YES

Rappel

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 12:25 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Yes.

I completely agree.

It's reached a point where my Israeli OBGYN warned me before DS's Brit "and don't be like all your friends - give him a normal name!" LOL

agreer

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 12:37 pm
Yes, it's a ridiculous name for a girl (or boy)
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names