Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Torah as a girl's name?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 5:27 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Right? I think Osnat is so pretty. But no English speaker will give it as a name, which - that's fair.

Dodavahu is real! Eliezer ben Dodavahu appears in Sefer Melachim.

(although now I'm a little nervous that Kefira A. Kochvi is real, too. At a minimum that's probably close to someone's actual name. Your name is beautiful, Kefira - it means "lioness," people - maybe not exactly a popular name for Israeli children, but actually quite pretty.)

There was an Osnat in my American BY.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 5:30 pm
Someone mentioned the name Bracha as being unusual in some circles. I can't imagine anyone being teased for the name "Bracha" in any circles. Which circles would it be considered unusual?

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 5:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it totally crazy? I know some people are against any unusual name, so let me put it like this: would Torah be less advisable than say Rinatya or Ahavatel?

Torah is completely out there.
Ahavatel is just weird.

There are several Rinatyas, but all the ones we know are Black Hebrews. Same for Hilatya.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 5:42 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Someone mentioned the name Bracha as being unusual in some circles. I can't imagine anyone being teased for the name "Bracha" in any circles. Which circles would it be considered unusual?

I grew up conservative and went to conservative day school. My hebrew name is Bracha. I hate the name to this day! I would have given anything to be another Rachel, Dina, or Ilana.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 5:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it totally crazy? I know some people are against any unusual name, so let me put it like this: would Torah be less advisable than say Rinatya or Ahavatel?

I personally would not name a child Torah. Rinatya or Ahavatel are much better in my opinion.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 5:47 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I grew up conservative and went to conservative day school. My hebrew name is Bracha. I hate the name to this day! I would have given anything to be another Rachel, Dina, or Ilana.

Oh, ok, thanks for the explanation. I personally think it's a beautiful name. I have a daughter Bracha & she really is a blessing to me & the whole family. I just never thought of it as unusual .

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 5:57 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

Maybe the word teased was a bit extreme. But Bracha is considered an old fashioned 'grandmother ' type name in secular and some DL circles in Israel. Kind of like Yocheved.

Nothing is wrong with these names, of course. Enjoy your Bracha Smile

tigerwife

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 6:28 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Right? I think Osnat is so pretty. But no English speaker will give it as a name, which - that's fair.

Dodavahu is real! Eliezer ben Dodavahu appears in Sefer Melachim.

(although now I'm a little nervous that Kefira A. Kochvi is real, too. At a minimum that's probably close to someone's actual name. Your name is beautiful, Kefira - it means "lioness," people - maybe not exactly a popular name for Israeli children, but actually quite pretty.)

I actually know several Chareidi American Osnats/ Osnas’s.

But Torah? Nope.

And Yocheved and Bracha and beautiful common names here.

flmommy

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 6:29 pm
OP did we convince you? One of the only questions on Imamother everyone seems to agree on!

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:53 pm
iyar wrote:
Osnat is a beautiful name, and unlike a lot of imamother names of the month it's a genuine name of a person in the Torah (and not an evil person like Nimrod or Atalyah).
But can you tell me ora- Is Dodavahu a real name or is that Kefira A Kochvi's younger sister?

I knew a little girl osnot who kids nicknamed snot. I would never name my daughter that.

dorothy1

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 8:33 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:

If you’re talking about me, I was saying the opposite. Audrey is not unusual. Maybe not the most common name, but very commons

My circle is American yeshivish/OOT yeshivish and j haven’t been anywhere where Bracha would be unusual but I’m sure there’s communities Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 8:50 am
If you are looking for a modern Hebrew name, please avoid Oshrit.

DD had a teacher by that name, and unfortunately this teacher had a very high pitched and loud voice.

All the girls called her "O-Shriek" behind her back.

Give your child a normal name. I'm sure that they will shine in many other ways. Personally, I always loved the name Kohavah "star".

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 9:09 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

DD had a teacher by that name, and unfortunately this teacher had a very high pitched and loud voice.

Give your child a normal name. I'm sure that they will shine in many other ways. Personally, I always loved the name Kohavah "star".

Nofit is no different.

Everyone would chant "Nofit has no feet! Nofit has no feet!"

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 9:11 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

I'm shocked that Israeli kids know the word 'shriek'. I've taught advanced 5 pt English in high schools here and I doubt most of the kids would know what that meant.

Anyway, names are extremely personal. Oshrit is rather uncommon. Kochavah is very old fashioned.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 9:16 am
I remember that years ago, a list circulated for Americans in Israel of names you could give your kids to guarantee that they wouldn't be yordim.

I only remember Dudu for boys.

Girls' names included Nofit, Osnat, and Moran .

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 9:20 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I'm shocked that Israeli kids know the word 'shriek'. I've taught advanced 5 pt English in high schools here and I doubt most of the kids would know what that meant.

Anyway, names are extremely personal. Oshrit is rather uncommon. Kochavah is very old fashioned.

It was weird. These girls could curse like sailors in English, and the teacher never batted an eye. The one time DD said that someone was "tipeshah", she got sent to the rav for a big lecture.

I'm thinking, "Hey, be happy that she's learning Hebrew!"

Reality

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 9:34 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I knew a little girl osnot who kids nicknamed snot. I would never name my daughter that.

This. While it wasn't that bad in my daughter's class there was always the giggles over that poor girl's name.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 11:28 am
I know two Zimratyas, they both go by Zimrat and live in the big city. I also know two Sinais - one is a girl and one is a boy (there's also Sinai Tor of course.....).

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 12:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don't care for any of them, but IMHO calling a kid Torah is supremely arrogant. Just one shade less so than naming her G-d.

etky

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 12:59 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
My dd had a girl named Rinatya in her class last year. I know an Anael. Both are in Israel and DL and not of American origin. But Torah? I would not recommend it. Too far out, imho.

Same. I know two Rinatyas and quite a few Anaels. All Israeli DL.
Torah is in a different league entirely Rolling Eyes
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names