Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Updated:Help me decide special needs preschool or Mainstream

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 1:10 am
Ok, so my son needs OT for sensory issues, a Seit to help in integrate in class when too shy/anxious and speech. He is not delayed, and meets or exceeds most milestones, except speech. What preschool would be better for him, an integration type preschool for kids with learning disabilities and some without, the teacher have special Ed credentials, and work with the therapists to incorporate their work into the classroom. Their goal is to have them catch up in time to transfer to mainstream grade school.Or send him to a mainstream yeshiva preschool with his siblings and get said therapies there?

Update: the integrated class is in red zone a thus virtual, the mainstream yeshiva is in person. Given the virtual component, which one is better 3.5hrs of virtual or or 5 hrs if in person and getting pulled out for services 2x speech, 2x Ot, 2x counseling.and seit

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 1:26 am
Mainstream if he is actually approved for those services. Gesher is wonderful for the right fit.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 1:42 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Mainstream if he is actually approved for those services. Gesher is wonderful for the right fit.
Are you suggesting mainstream for him as it sounds like he is not the “right fit” for Gesher. What kind of kids are the right fit for Gesher. He has been evaluated by NY DOE and therapy had been recommended but we did not have a meeting yet where they make the final “approval”

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 5:34 am
I don’t know enough about Gesher to know if it’s the right fit for your kid, but in general, the more help they get in preschool, the more likely they are to catch up by the time it matters.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 7:33 am
I sent my child to Gesher for social/anxiety concerns and while the teacher was great, in retrospect I did not think it was the best choice. After 1 year we switched to a mainstream school with services. And going to a school like Gesher does make it more difficult (not impossible) to get into a typical school.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 7:48 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I sent my child to Gesher for social/anxiety concerns and while the teacher was great, in retrospect I did not think it was the best choice. After 1 year we switched to a mainstream school with services. And going to a school like Gesher does make it more difficult (not impossible) to get into a typical school.
If the morah was great, what was the drawback sending to Gesher.

happy rock

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 8:37 am
I am a seit in Geshet as well as a parent. Please pm me so I can help you.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 9:19 am
Never sent to Gesher - but wondering if you might consider the public school (assuming you live in the Five towns). There are many boys with yarmulkes there. I sent my son to the #4 school. It was amazing (not to mention saving a lot of money). I did discuss with a local Yeshiva first. They felt he'd be better off there for pre- school, and told me they'd take him in for first grade. He started first grade there and did GREAT. I taught him to read Hebrew myself. I was so concerned about him being behind in Hebrew, that I overcompensated. It turns out he was ahead of the other boys in kriya. He is an honor student.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 9:01 pm
Public school is not an option for us.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 9:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If the morah was great, what was the drawback sending to Gesher.

I felt that my child's issues were not adequately addressed and several of the children in class had behavior challenges which I didn't feel was the best environment for my child.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 9:26 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I felt that my child's issues were not adequately addressed and several of the children in class had behavior challenges which I didn't feel was the best environment for my child.

I agree with this. A child with no learning or behavior issues is better off in a mainstream setting with support for their social/anxiety issues.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 6:10 am
To the mothers who feel like a developmentally normal toddler would be better in a mainstream yeshiva, Could you elaborate more why, what types of scenarios would have you shy away from gesher. Do you think being in a classroom with behaviorally challanged children or children with mild delays would be a bad influence, or being around “ normal kids would be better for them to thrive, developmentally. Just trying to hear both sides fully.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 6:11 am
Note my dc is almost 3, going into nursery

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 11:22 am
Update, so my dc does need speech therapy, has speech delays, trouble retrieving words, poor articulation. So I’m thinking using a special needs school to help him progress. Any suggestions, we are willing to travel to brooklyn queens or Long Island.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 12:00 pm
Mrs Bodner at gesher will be honest with you. We paid her to go to my sons school to observe him and talk to teachers etc and then she gave her opinion (she recommended he stay in regular yeshiva)

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 12:05 pm
I taught in an integrated preschool. I found that the kids that could be in a regular classroom with services lost out. The class will be taught focusing on the lowest common denominator. Many of the kids that just needed speech or ot did pick up some behavioral issues from the other kids.
My kid needed a lot of therapy in preschool and she did great in a regular school. Why would you not want him to receive therapy in a regular yeshiva?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 12:46 pm
I don’t know how much help my dc needs, so my thought process was better safe than sorry, it’s only preschool. ( if we send to a special needs school it’s just for a couple years then transfer in pre1a. , I’d rather send now out Doubt then need the extra help in pre1a.And supposedly kids who receive services and are in an integrated class gain much more progress, which effects their capabilities later in life too..Integrated classes are part special needs kids and part normal kids. So if my kid was Similar to the normal half then I would want send to a normal yeshiva. I just new to all this, Trying to figure out what is best for dc.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 12:54 pm
What type of behavioral issues to the lower kids in an integrated class have? My dc gets frustrated and screams due to processing /sensory/ and speech issues. But too shy to scream in school, more timid and quite in school

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 8:39 pm
Update: the integrated class is in red zone a thus virtual, the mainstream yeshiva is in person. Given the virtual component, which one is better 3.5hrs of virtual or or 5 hrs if in person and getting pulled out for services 2x speech, 2x Ot, 2x counseling. Plus a seit

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Oct 18 2020, 10:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Update: the integrated class is in red zone a thus virtual, the mainstream yeshiva is in person. Given the virtual component, which one is better 3.5hrs of virtual or or 5 hrs if in person and getting pulled out for services 2x speech, 2x Ot, 2x counseling. Plus a seit

As a mother of a high-functioning child in a special needs school, which has been shut down due to being in a red zone, I would say in person is much better. At this point, if we were able to, we would switch out with services in a regular yeshiva/school which is still open. In-person services are much more effective and beneficial, and with this craziness, we don't know how much longer these schools will be closed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics