Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Eating seasonally

sequoia

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 11:14 am
Do you eat seasonally? I never did before. Here in Ukraine everyone does.

There are different times for pomegranates, persimmon, radishes, cabbage, strawberries, apples... People never buy anything out of season, because "it isn't good."

Of course some things like cucumbers and bananas are available year round.

How about you?

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 11:16 am
Yes because I shop farmers markets and buy local when I can. Even my 5 year old (when I commented on snap peas being in trader joe) knew that it’s not snap pea season. She said so! Truth is so much of the produce in supermarkets is not local so it doesn’t really matter but with the exception of staples like onions, garlic etc I really do buy seasonally.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 11:21 am
I don't drive out of town etc but I buy seasonal unless I want something else and it looks ok

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 12:31 pm
Yes and no.
I buy "priceonally" meaning I refuse to spend $5 on a pint of strawberries or $4 on an avocado. Since the price will most likely be lowest in season, that's when I'm most likely to buy. But that doesn't mean that I'll pass up blueberries if I see them for $1 a pint in December.

Our economy is so global that most produce is available year-round; it's always in season somewhere, or it's greenhouse grown, so price is really the limiting factor.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 12:35 pm
zaq wrote:
Yes and no.
I buy "priceonally" meaning I refuse to spend $5 on a pint of strawberries or $4 on an avocado. Since the price will most likely be lowest in season, that's when I'm most likely to buy. But that doesn't mean that I'll pass up blueberries if I see them for $1 a pint in December.

Our economy is so global that most produce is available year-round; it's always in season somewhere, or it's greenhouse grown, so price is really the limiting factor.

Mostly the same. But there are certain things that are just awful tasting out of season. Tomatoes. Yuck.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 12:40 pm
I live in Israel, that’s how we shop here, however in the past 10-20 years many fruits and vegetables are available all year round rather than just at specialty stores and very expensive. It used to be you could never buy grapes in the winter or oranges in the summer. There are still many fruits that are seasonal - like strawberries, cherries, peaches, and plums. And of course price is very much affected by season, you might find sweat potatoes or avocado in every store year round but the price can be three times what you’d pay in season.

egam

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 1:33 pm
sequoia wrote:
Do you eat seasonally? I never did before. Here in Ukraine everyone does.

There are different times for pomegranates, persimmon, radishes, cabbage, strawberries, apples... People never buy anything out of season, because "it isn't good."

Of course some things like cucumbers and bananas are available year round.

How about you?

I did. When I lived in Ukraine. There was no other way. There weren’t cucumbers out of season either at that time and bananas you could only buy in Moscow.
And yes, anything out of season, aka as greenhouse grown, is not good.
Ukraine has amazing produce. I have yet to find something similar tasting in America.

Teomima

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 1:54 pm
Like chancy123 said, eating seasonally is mostly the default here. Because we grow a huge portion of our own produce in Israel, they become available in season. You can't find cherries in the fall, or mangos in the winter. I love this system because we develope associations between foods and seasons and holidays. For example, pesach means artichokes and fresh garlic. The end of the school year is when it's time to go cherry picking for freshest, sweetest fruits imaginable. Summer means cool, delicious watermelon and mango. Rosh hashanah is exactly when the pomegranate trees perfect their giant red globes.

Some basics are grown year-round, thanks rather varied climates right here within our own tiny country. And of course you can find imports. But more and more I see the Israeli grown selection develope and vary. You can now get Israeli grown limes, brussel sprouts, sweet corn, asparagus....things that used to be imported, or poor quality/limited quantity.

sequoia

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 3:03 pm
egam wrote:
I did. When I lived in Ukraine. There was no other way. There weren’t cucumbers out of season either at that time and bananas you could only buy in Moscow.
And yes, anything out of season, aka as greenhouse grown, is not good.
Ukraine has amazing produce. I have yet to find something similar tasting in America.

yes

and the dairy products

yo'ma

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 1:08 pm
We usually can only get seasonal foods, but lately we’ve been getting a bit non seasonal. We usually can’t get pomegranate for Rosh Hashana, but they had them last year. We get them pesach time.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 1:43 pm
We eat largely, but not entirely, seasonally.

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 3:35 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Mostly the same. But there are certain things that are just awful tasting out of season. Tomatoes. Yuck.

I find that commercial tomatoes almost always taste like plastic all year round.

Colorpop

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 3:40 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
I live in Israel, that’s how we shop here, however in the past 10-20 years many fruits and vegetables are available all year round rather than just at specialty stores and very expensive. It used to be you could never buy grapes in the winter or oranges in the summer. There are still many fruits that are seasonal - like strawberries, cherries, peaches, and plums. And of course price is very much affected by season, you might find sweat potatoes or avocado in every store year round but the price can be three times what you’d pay in season.

I'm also in Israel, and have not been able to find some of the seasonal fruit during the wrong seasons. (ex - avocados)

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 3:43 pm
I dont eat 100% seasonally but I find that in season produce is cheaper and tastier then strawberries in January so the majority of our produce is seasonal but Im not super rigid either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking