Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
I was considering Eliana, but...
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 5:31 pm
Actually, "he tormented" would be eennAH, binyan pi'el, just like deebber or tzeevvah. "He answered" is "ahNAH," binyan kal. Not sounding out the dagesh in the nun in eennah won't change the meaning to an ashkentuzi at all and may just tell a Temani that the speaker is an ignorant ashkentuzi whose tefillot are of no value because they make no sense.

Where the dagesh would make a difference is in something like iSHSHah and eeshAHH, the first with a dagesh in the shin meaning "woman" and the second with an aleph-yud-shin-heh-with-a-mapik meaning "her husband." OK, it's cheating a drop because the mapik in the heh, if pronounced, tells you it's "hers". Of course, very few non-Sefaradi Hebrew speakers pronounce the dageshim and mapiks unless they're leining, and many not even then.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 4:36 am
Yay for racism

keym

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 9:56 am
This reminds me of a funny line my seminary teacher said that a random taxi driver told her.
What's the difference between BiTAchon and BitaCHON? Ones mileil, and ones milra.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names