Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Tickets again for no masks

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 11:19 pm
Today, in Boro Park, FDNY inspectors visited many stores on 13th Avenue and gave tickets to stores whose employees were not wearing masks.

This is really strange because:

1 - practically no one has been wearing masks in boro park for months. Why are they now giving tickets?

2 - they were only ticketing for employees not wearing masks. They didn't bother the customers. Does the virus have some magic power that only infects customers?

3 - why would FDNY inspectors hand out tickets for noncompliance in mask wearing? They're not the health dept, cops, or sheriff's dept. What right does FDNY have to do this?

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 11:28 pm
This is unconstitutional because there is NO LAW that one must wear mask - it is
an "excutive order" from the governor who is acting like a dictator.

A law must be passed by our representatives (state assembly / senate) but this order is not a law.

SingALong

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 11:54 pm
What happens if someone doesn’t pay the ticket?

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 11:57 pm
Probably due to the increase in positivity percentages in BP lately. Probably ticketing the store employees since if employees wear masks patrons are more likely to.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 11:57 pm
So what exactly is an executive order? A suggestion? If it doesnt have the power of a law, what's even the point?

I'm really starting to think we live in a very stupid country

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So what exactly is an executive order? A suggestion? If it doesnt have the power of a law, what's even the point?

I think an executive order is only for emergency situation.

Covid has been around for six months, so I don't think under the Constitution, the governor
can just issue executive orders like a dictator.

Let our representatives VOTE on whether we should have mask mandates which gives
WE THE PEOPLE an opportunity to tell our representatives what WE THE PEOPLE want!

southernbubby

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:27 am
The signs on the doors of chain stores like ShopRite and Walmart say that it is a local ordinance. We have the same thing with local parking restrictions. Yes they can give tickets but if they are given unfairly, people can contest the tickets.
They may be the result of people who called 311 to complain about crowded stores where nobody is wearing masks. They have a right to call the police and complain about situations that could threaten public health.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:38 am
Im SO tired of this.
You know that Wuhan, where this virus originated, has not had a single case in the past 3 months?
Its possible for this to go away!

But if people keep complaining about mask wearing then we're going to be stuck with it.

Simple1

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:40 am
If anything, they should ticket the owners, not the workers who are not getting paid enough to make it worth it to pay a ticket. The employers can then decide if it's worth it only hiring employees who wear masks.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:51 am
Simple1 wrote:
If anything, they should ticket the owners, not the workers who are not getting paid enough to make it worth it to pay a ticket. The employers can then decide if it's worth it only hiring employees who wear masks.

When I read the first post, it says they are issuing tickets to stores that have employees not in masks. They aren't ticketing the employees.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:55 am
#BestBubby wrote:

Covid has been around for six months, so I don't think under the Constitution, the governor

Let our representatives VOTE on whether we should have mask mandates which gives
WE THE PEOPLE an opportunity to tell our representatives what WE THE PEOPLE want!

We are in a state of emergency on state and local levels in NY and leaders can enact certain measures as part of that to protect public health and safety.

If you want to wait for legislative bodies to vote and pass laws, I think we'll get an efficacious vaccine sooner than that. That's why there's a state of emergency and local officials can issue executive orders on this.

(and as an aside, the NYS legislature did adjust some permanent laws that conflicted with the mask ordinances, removing that issue and allowing requiring masks to be legal in NYS)

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:36 pm
It's a new law. Same here, same israel

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:33 pm
From https://www.nga.org/governors/.....rity/

The authority for governors to issue executive orders is found in state constitutions and statutes as well as case law, or is implied by the powers assigned to state chief executives. Governors use executive orders—certain of which are subject to legislative review in some states—for a variety of purposes, among them to:

trigger emergency powers during natural disasters, energy crises, and other situations requiring immediate attention''
--which the Covid pandemic is.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:35 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

"Emergency" doesn't mean just short-term, like a house fire. A state of emergency can go on for a long, long time.

For state by state information on the power of governors to issue executive orders, see “Gubernatorial Executive Orders: Authorization, Provisions, Procedures” (Table 4.5, The Book of the States 2019, source: The Council of State Governments).

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It does have the power of law; it's just not on the books as a permanent law that would need to be repealed after it's no longer relevant.

I'm starting to think we have some very stupid members. Or incredibly self-centered ones who want to do what they want to do and don't give a rat's tail who gets sick as a result.

Simple1

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:48 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
When I read the first post, it says they are issuing tickets to stores that have employees not in masks. They aren't ticketing the employees.

You're right.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:15 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
It does have the power of law; it's just not on the books as a permanent law that would need to be repealed after it's no longer relevant.

I'm starting to think we have some very stupid members. Or incredibly self-centered ones who want to do what they want to do and don't give a rat's tail who gets sick as a result.

Dunning–Kruger effect

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Today, in Boro Park, FDNY inspectors visited many stores on 13th Avenue and gave tickets to stores whose employees were not wearing masks.

This is really strange because:

1 - practically no one has been wearing masks in boro park for months. Why are they now giving tickets?

Either some people complained recently, or this is a response to the recent uptick in infections, or any other reason. It sounds like you’re complaining that they weren’t giving tickets before?

2 - they were only ticketing for employees not wearing masks. They didn't bother the customers. Does the virus have some magic power that only infects customers?

I would imagine it’s because the store owners would fight such tickets by complaining they can’t control what customers do, but they can very well control what their employees do.

3 - why would FDNY inspectors hand out tickets for noncompliance in mask wearing? They're not the health dept, cops, or sheriff's dept. What right does FDNY have to do this?

I don’t know. It doesn’t really matter. Presumably it falls under their jurisdiction somehow.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:40 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Im SO tired of this.
You know that Wuhan, where this virus originated, has not had a single case in the past 3 months?

But if people keep complaining about mask wearing then we're going to be stuck with it.

You really believe China? They’ve been lying to us since January.

soap suds

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 10:08 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Im SO tired of this.

Neither did BP until until 2-3 weeks ago.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics