Home

Tickets again for no masks

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 11:19 pm
Today, in Boro Park, FDNY inspectors visited many stores on 13th Avenue and gave tickets to stores whose employees were not wearing masks.

This is really strange because:

1 - practically no one has been wearing masks in boro park for months. Why are they now giving tickets?

2 - they were only ticketing for employees not wearing masks. They didn't bother the customers. Does the virus have some magic power that only infects customers?

3 - why would FDNY inspectors hand out tickets for noncompliance in mask wearing? They're not the health dept, cops, or sheriff's dept. What right does FDNY have to do this?
Back to top

#BestBubby




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 11:28 pm
This is unconstitutional because there is NO LAW that one must wear mask - it is
an "excutive order" from the governor who is acting like a dictator.

A law must be passed by our representatives (state assembly / senate) but this order is not a law.
Back to top

SingALong




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 11:54 pm
What happens if someone doesn’t pay the ticket?
Back to top

amother




Cerise
 

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 11:57 pm
Probably due to the increase in positivity percentages in BP lately. Probably ticketing the store employees since if employees wear masks patrons are more likely to.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Sep 08 2020, 11:57 pm
So what exactly is an executive order? A suggestion? If it doesnt have the power of a law, what's even the point?

I'm really starting to think we live in a very stupid country
Back to top

#BestBubby




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So what exactly is an executive order? A suggestion? If it doesnt have the power of a law, what's even the point?

I'm really starting to think we live in a very stupid country


I think an executive order is only for emergency situation.

Covid has been around for six months, so I don't think under the Constitution, the governor
can just issue executive orders like a dictator.

Let our representatives VOTE on whether we should have mask mandates which gives
WE THE PEOPLE an opportunity to tell our representatives what WE THE PEOPLE want!
Back to top

southernbubby




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:27 am
The signs on the doors of chain stores like ShopRite and Walmart say that it is a local ordinance. We have the same thing with local parking restrictions. Yes they can give tickets but if they are given unfairly, people can contest the tickets.
They may be the result of people who called 311 to complain about crowded stores where nobody is wearing masks. They have a right to call the police and complain about situations that could threaten public health.
Back to top

little neshamala




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:38 am
Im SO tired of this.
You know that Wuhan, where this virus originated, has not had a single case in the past 3 months?
Its possible for this to go away!

But if people keep complaining about mask wearing then we're going to be stuck with it.
Back to top

Simple1




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:40 am
If anything, they should ticket the owners, not the workers who are not getting paid enough to make it worth it to pay a ticket. The employers can then decide if it's worth it only hiring employees who wear masks.
Back to top

NotInNJMommy




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:51 am
Simple1 wrote:
If anything, they should ticket the owners, not the workers who are not getting paid enough to make it worth it to pay a ticket. The employers can then decide if it's worth it only hiring employees who wear masks.


When I read the first post, it says they are issuing tickets to stores that have employees not in masks. They aren't ticketing the employees.
Back to top

NotInNJMommy




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:55 am
#BestBubby wrote:
I think an executive order is only for emergency situation.

Covid has been around for six months, so I don't think under the Constitution, the governor
can just issue executive orders like a dictator.

Let our representatives VOTE on whether we should have mask mandates which gives
WE THE PEOPLE an opportunity to tell our representatives what WE THE PEOPLE want!


We are in a state of emergency on state and local levels in NY and leaders can enact certain measures as part of that to protect public health and safety.

If you want to wait for legislative bodies to vote and pass laws, I think we'll get an efficacious vaccine sooner than that. That's why there's a state of emergency and local officials can issue executive orders on this.

(and as an aside, the NYS legislature did adjust some permanent laws that conflicted with the mask ordinances, removing that issue and allowing requiring masks to be legal in NYS)
Back to top

Ruchel




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:36 pm
It's a new law. Same here, same israel
Back to top

zaq




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:33 pm
From https://www.nga.org/governors/.....rity/

The authority for governors to issue executive orders is found in state constitutions and statutes as well as case law, or is implied by the powers assigned to state chief executives. Governors use executive orders—certain of which are subject to legislative review in some states—for a variety of purposes, among them to:

trigger emergency powers during natural disasters, energy crises, and other situations requiring immediate attention''
--which the Covid pandemic is.
Back to top

zaq




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:35 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I think an executive order is only for emergency situation.

Covid has been around for six months, so I don't think under the Constitution, the governor
can just issue executive orders like a dictator.

Let our representatives VOTE on whether we should have mask mandates which gives
WE THE PEOPLE an opportunity to tell our representatives what WE THE PEOPLE want!


"Emergency" doesn't mean just short-term, like a house fire. A state of emergency can go on for a long, long time.

For state by state information on the power of governors to issue executive orders, see “Gubernatorial Executive Orders: Authorization, Provisions, Procedures” (Table 4.5, The Book of the States 2019, source: The Council of State Governments).
Back to top

amother




Lilac
 

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So what exactly is an executive order? A suggestion? If it doesnt have the power of a law, what's even the point?

I'm really starting to think we live in a very stupid country


It does have the power of law; it's just not on the books as a permanent law that would need to be repealed after it's no longer relevant.

I'm starting to think we have some very stupid members. Or incredibly self-centered ones who want to do what they want to do and don't give a rat's tail who gets sick as a result.
Back to top

Simple1




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 4:48 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
When I read the first post, it says they are issuing tickets to stores that have employees not in masks. They aren't ticketing the employees.


You're right.
Back to top

imasoftov




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:15 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
It does have the power of law; it's just not on the books as a permanent law that would need to be repealed after it's no longer relevant.

I'm starting to think we have some very stupid members. Or incredibly self-centered ones who want to do what they want to do and don't give a rat's tail who gets sick as a result.

Dunning–Kruger effect
Back to top

amother




Brunette
 

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Today, in Boro Park, FDNY inspectors visited many stores on 13th Avenue and gave tickets to stores whose employees were not wearing masks.

This is really strange because:

1 - practically no one has been wearing masks in boro park for months. Why are they now giving tickets?

Either some people complained recently, or this is a response to the recent uptick in infections, or any other reason. It sounds like you’re complaining that they weren’t giving tickets before?

2 - they were only ticketing for employees not wearing masks. They didn't bother the customers. Does the virus have some magic power that only infects customers?

I would imagine it’s because the store owners would fight such tickets by complaining they can’t control what customers do, but they can very well control what their employees do.

3 - why would FDNY inspectors hand out tickets for noncompliance in mask wearing? They're not the health dept, cops, or sheriff's dept. What right does FDNY have to do this?

I don’t know. It doesn’t really matter. Presumably it falls under their jurisdiction somehow.
Back to top

amother




cornflower
 

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 9:40 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Im SO tired of this.
You know that Wuhan, where this virus originated, has not had a single case in the past 3 months?
Its possible for this to go away!

But if people keep complaining about mask wearing then we're going to be stuck with it.


You really believe China? They’ve been lying to us since January.
Back to top

soap suds




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 10:08 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Im SO tired of this.
You know that Wuhan, where this virus originated, has not had a single case in the past 3 months?
Its possible for this to go away!

But if people keep complaining about mask wearing then we're going to be stuck with it.

Neither did BP until until 2-3 weeks ago.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Iso cool or exciting masks
by amother
2 Sun, Sep 12 2021, 12:00 am View last post
Shopping help... again 0 Sun, Sep 05 2021, 9:32 pm View last post
Pls recommend COMFORTABLE masks for children
by amother
45 Thu, Aug 26 2021, 3:44 pm View last post
Hershey Park Group Tickets
by amother
10 Wed, Aug 25 2021, 7:50 am View last post
Ready to try again. Suggestions needed
by amother
29 Mon, Aug 16 2021, 12:26 pm View last post