Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Who was wrong - me or coworker - regarding what boss said

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:01 am
I work part time at a construction office job. I spent a long time on Sunday morning organizing my paperwork based on the clients names, projects they have open, etc. I was going to file/enter and put away it all today. I was off Monday and Tuesday. I get an email from my coworker with a whole listing of paperwork on my desk, and questions what each one is!! I was so upset, I called her very not happily and asked why did you touch my stuff? She said well it was a huge mess and the boss wasn’t happy and wanted it organized. Now I have to go back and reorganize and sort it. Was I wrong for being upset that someone touched my desk and paperwork??

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:03 am
Not wrong but if the boss asked, what was she supposed to do?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:07 am
I don’t think it’s ok to touch other people’s desk.
I may be wrong, but isn’t a person’s desk sort of personal?
She could have called you.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:10 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I don’t think it’s ok to touch other people’s desk.
I may be wrong, but isn’t a person’s desk sort of personal?
She could have called you.

Right, that’s what I told her. At least call me and ask if there’s any order or something. Now I have to re-sort and organize again. Feeling bad that I was upset at her if she’s just the messenger

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:11 am
Is there any rule that desks must be clear at end of day?

Should the record have been filed away and not left out over an extended day. Like should they be in fire proof locked cabinets instead of a desk they can blow away on. In Europe There are laws about how personal informatio is stored and protected.

can visitors see the files out?

Are work stations personal or shared?

eileengray

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:12 am
I’d say the boss was in the wrong. He should have called you or asked the coworker to call you instead of asking her to sort everything out.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:13 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Is there any rule that desks must be clear at end of day?

Should the record have been filed away and not left out over an extended day. Like should they be in fire proof locked cabinets instead of a desk they can blow away on. In Europe There are laws about how personal informatio is stored and protected.

can visitors see the files out?

Are work stations personal or shared?

No rules about our desks, or files

It’s my own desk and visitors can’t see it from the reception/customer service area

GoodEnough

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:33 am
The co-worker should've called you before touching. Especially if it was obvious that it was already sorted/organised.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:10 am
I don’t like a mess. If it were my office, I would file it while I am organizing it. And I even prefer to scan the papers and keep them in files on the computer - much cleaner and more reliable.

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 8:33 am
Strategywise, it's not a good idea to leave something that looks like a mess on your desk during your day off!

So I think it is just something to consider for the future: find a plastic bin, put it in the plastic bin, the plastic bin in a closed cupboard, and you will be fine...

ora_43

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 10:04 am
Weird.

Did she just move the files somewhere else, eg put them all in one big stack, or stick them in drawers? Or did she sort them according to her own system?

If it was the first thing, I wouldn't blame her, but I would mention to the boss that you had been halfway through a sorting project and that, while you on your end are happy to make more of an effort to get piles cleared away by the end of the day, you'd also appreciate a heads up if he thinks your desk is messy so that you can deal with it (unless the files were supposed to have been sorted already, in which case, maybe don't say anything).

If she sorted things according to her own system, I think you weren't out of line making it clear you were irritated. That's a weird thing to do, and even if the boss asked she could have called you, or she could have said, "I'm not sure what system OP uses, so I'm just going to move it to a drawer." It's not a bad thing that she learned that sorting someone else's files without talking to them first is a terrible idea.

(and also here, I'd consider saying something to your boss, too)

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 11:50 am
Was your boss looking for something?

Talk to him directly about this.

If he asked her she had to do it.

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:28 pm
Coworker, unless the boss is known to be a bully in which case boss gets the blame.

I'm not sure exactly what the boss said - was it "ugh that desk is a mess, it better get straightened up" or was it directly "Janet, clean up Sarah's desk." But even if it were the latter, she should have called you and asked what you would want done with the stuff.

If you spent your own time (not work hours) on that organization, don't do that again - do it during work and if anyone has issues you can very validly say that the reason your actual work is not getting done is because you first have to find your stuff that someone else mixed up.

I would be livid. Also (again, assuming the boss is not a huge bully) I would strongly request of the boss that if he has any future concerns about your workspace, he should address you directly.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I work part time at a construction office job. I spent a long time on Sunday morning organizing my paperwork based on the clients names, projects they have open, etc. I was going to file/enter and put away it all today. I was off Monday and Tuesday. I get an email from my coworker with a whole listing of paperwork on my desk, and questions what each one is!! I was so upset, I called her very not happily and asked why did you touch my stuff? She said well it was a huge mess and the boss wasn’t happy and wanted it organized. Now I have to go back and reorganize and sort it. Was I wrong for being upset that someone touched my desk and paperwork??

You were wrong to be upset.

Optimally, your coworker should have called to say hey, boss is unhappy that you left piles of stuff on your desk, and wants me to organize it. What's the story. But its not horribly wrong for her to think she could figure out (if it was organized, I don't understand why she didn't), and she did ask when she couldn't.

But this is not something she took on herself. Your boss told her to do it.

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 2:28 pm
I dunno, if my boss asked me to organize someone else's desk, I would 1. tell them I am not comfortable with that and it should be addressed directly to the person whose desk it is, and 2. call them and ask what they want done with their stuff. Who thinks it's normal to take someone else's many papers and move them around?

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 2:31 pm
Do you share the desk with her.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 5:00 pm
It depends on the particular dynamics of your office. Does your boss make this kind of request to employees often? It makes sense to be frustrated but I wouldn't get angry over it.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 6:09 pm
Actually I'd first be DKLZ and ask coworker what happened. Would want to get the story before making assumptions and then would know how best to handle.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 7:09 pm
Not sure who’s right or wrong but I’d be thrilled if someone organizes my desk for me! Laugh
Can she come do my cabinets?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics