Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Natural Treatment/Supplements for ADD?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:52 pm
Has anyone tried natural treatments/supplements for a child with ADD that were successful (and how successful)?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:54 pm
DD hates taking pills, so she has a double shot of espresso every morning, and an energy drink around lunch time. The stimulants help her focus, but it doesn't have the rebound effect that a lot of prescription meds have.

This may not work for everyone, so please don't take anything I say as advice!

Talk to a certified integrated medicine doctor for more specific suggestions.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 12:57 pm
We tried with some success but ultimately it was not enough to get my son through the day. He takes zinc, magnesium and fish oil in addition to two non stimulant medications. He is almost 10 and has not needed to take a stimulant yet which to us was very important.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:01 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
DD hates taking pills, so she has a double shot of espresso every morning, and an energy drink around lunch time. The stimulants help her focus, but it doesn't have the rebound effect that a lot of prescription meds have.

Best advice!!

Zehava

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone tried natural treatments/supplements for a child with ADD that were successful (and how successful)?

CBD worked very well for us for a while. DD did say it made her a bit tired but meds can do that as well.

Zehava

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 1:05 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

I wouldn’t recommend that much caffeine for a younger child.

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 2:00 pm
PM member Sparkle here (I think that's her username?) she could practically write the bible on alternative/holistic supports.

mha, I'd like to learn more, why are other medications better than stimulants?

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 2:58 pm
Its not a matter of better but I wanted to see if I could keep my son off the stimulant category for as long as I could due to some of the side effects mostly eating and sleeping related. We found that intuniv and straterra together with the other stuff he takes has been really good for him.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Sep 09 2020, 3:14 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Its not a matter of better but I wanted to see if I could keep my son off the stimulant category for as long as I could due to some of the side effects mostly eating and sleeping related. We found that intuniv and straterra together with the other stuff he takes has been really good for him.

We do that too. We tried stimulants- nightmare. And yes, so was coffee. We have these two meds, which are semi helpful for focus and fairly helpful for regulation issues, with no sleep or eating interference. And we have OT.

If you do supplements, please make sure you work with a doctor, and that you treat them like medications in terms of maintaining levels and in terms of interactions with medications and other supplements.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)