Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
What’s the deal with cutting up an onion?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 5:17 pm
& not using the whole thing?
I need to remove what part?

I’m not sure .... I should know this but I don’t. TMI

Rappel

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 5:21 pm
If you're not using the whole onion:

Leave on the peel, so it's not affected by "ruach ra." Cut it with a parve knife, or mark it in such a way that you'll know if it's meat or dairy.

And for flavour and hygiene: wrap it up in a plastic baggie and stick it in the fridge.

Malkqueen

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 5:29 pm
Rappel wrote:
If you're not using the whole onion:

Leave on the peel, so it's not affected by "ruach ra." Cut it with a parve knife, or mark it in such a way that you'll know if it's meat or dairy.

And for flavour and hygiene: wrap it up in a plastic baggie and stick it in the fridge.

I remember learning that you have to leave the "tail" of it on, not the peel.
If you do take off the tail end, then you have to add seasoning (oil and salt) to it.

And yes, always use a pareve knife to cut an onion!

Elfrida

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 5:34 pm
Malkqueen wrote:
If you do take off the tail end, then you have to add seasoning (oil and salt) to it.

This is what I learnt. Leave the root end still attached. Or use a smaller onion!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 6:00 pm
Malkqueen wrote:

This.

amother
White

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 6:08 pm
I once heard from a big Posek that it’s just not worth the risk of treifing up your kitchen to save the 32 cents. And just dump the extra. If someone makes a mistake and doesn’t use parve knife, or if you think it’s fleishig but it’s really milchig- you got big problems.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 6:53 pm
Always use a parve knife. But wasn’t sure about the tail of it. Which end of it is the tail?

Frumme

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 7:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Always use a parve knife. But wasn’t sure about the tail of it. Which end of it is the tail?

The side with the roots coming out Smile

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Sep 10 2020, 7:22 pm
I always remember to leave on the top and the bottom and the brown paper bag (skin)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 3:48 am
Thanks for the visual Frumme!
So helpful

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 5:07 am
I leave the root end, schmear it with olive oil, and then wrap it in a plastic bag. I use it within 24 hours, or throw it away.

I try to always have a variety of onion sizes around, so I rarely have to deal with it.

singleagain

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 7:53 am
What's wrong with cutting the roots?

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 9:37 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
I once heard from a big Posek that it’s just not worth the risk of treifing up your kitchen to save the 32 cents. And just dump the extra. If someone makes a mistake and doesn’t use parve knife, or if you think it’s fleishig but it’s really milchig- you got big problems.

Not to question the posek, but to me it is not about the 32 cents. Baal Taschis is a big deal to me. Maybe because of Halacha or just that I grew up with grandparents who wholeheartedly believed their parents died from starvation in the camps.
What happens if you put the whole onion in and it is extra oniony, sounds extra delicious to me.
(Or like the other posters said, you are careful to always use a pareve knife)

ChanieMommy

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 9:41 am
The hairy part is what you should leave on if you don't use the whole onion...

Frumme

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 9:51 am
singleagain wrote:
What's wrong with cutting the roots?

Nothing, just for kabbalistic reasons you should salt the onion before putting it away overnight if you have extra (some say salt and oil but we just salt it). Has to do with food items that have a shell or skin like onions and (cooked) eggs

singleagain

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 9:57 am
Frumme wrote:
Nothing, just for kabbalistic reasons you should salt the onion before putting it away overnight if you have extra (some say salt and oil but we just salt it). Has to do with food items that have a shell or skin like onions and (cooked) eggs

Oh... Is there a simple reason why. I never heard of it

tichellady

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 10:13 am
Never heard of this. We always cut onions pareve and refrigerate what’s left

Frumme

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 10:26 am
singleagain wrote:
Oh... Is there a simple reason why. I never heard of it

Sure! Things like onions, garlic, and eggs have a shell which are like a physical representation of kelipah (spiritual shells). In Kabbalah, kelipot are things that literally "cover" G-dliness in the world. Generally speaking, kelipot can be be impure or "neutral" (kelipas nogah). So the idea is that physical things that have shells do so for a reason and if they don't have that shell or other protective covering (e.g. salt), they are susceptible to tumah (spiritual impurities). Leaving the root on, for whatever reason, is able to keep this tumah away, possibly because it has life to it (you can stick the bottom half of an onion with the roots into the ground and easily grow your own onion) but I'm not exactly sure.

At least, that's the kitzur as to how I understand it.... Very Happy

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 10:52 am
Thanks, imasoftov for posting the video on onions in 'immediate reactions" Very informative, I have to watch and take notes.

AIUI you have to leave on a portion of EITHER the peel or the root, or mix the onion with other foods. Easy enough to do. in any event, if I'm not using the entire onion, I leave the root on because it makes for less teary processing. the root end contains more of the compounds that irritate the eye , so it's better to cut an onion from the top and leave the root intact. Unless of course you enjoy the sensation of sulfuric acid in your eye. because that's what it is. the sulfur-containing compounds that give onions their characteristic flavor and smell combine with your tears to form sulfuric acid. very mild sulfuric acid, but still.

singleagain

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 11:26 am
Frumme wrote:
Sure! Things like onions, garlic, and eggs have a shell which are like a physical representation of kelipah (spiritual shells). In Kabbalah, kelipot are things that literally "cover" G-dliness in the world. Generally speaking, kelipot can be be impure or "neutral" (kelipas nogah). So the idea is that physical things that have shells do so for a reason and if they don't have that shell or other protective covering (e.g. salt), they are susceptible to tumah (spiritual impurities). Leaving the root on, for whatever reason, is able to keep this tumah away, possibly because it has life to it (you can stick the bottom half of an onion with the roots into the ground and easily grow your own onion) but I'm not exactly sure.

At least, that's the kitzur as to how I understand it.... Very Happy

Interesting thanks for sharing
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking