Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Upgrading covering
  Previous  1  2  3 13  14  15  Next

cbsp

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 10:20 pm
Amother yellow, I'm also going to object to your not so subtle use of the word "heter" when it comes to wigs.

For those communities which consider a wig as a valid method to fulfill "kisui rosh," it's not a leniency which the word heter implies. It's as good a head covering as any other material.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 10:42 pm
A sheitel is called a heter- its a leniency. Its called that across the board. It was a halachic debate with many forbidding it.
Exact words from Rav Ephraim Wachsman shlita at a major asifa in 5775:
"The sheitel originated as a leniency in order to accommodate the weakness of the generation. Then the leniencies became greater and greater. There was a time when it was still recognized as a certain level of tznius. But than a change happened, and instead of a sheitel becoming a symbol of tznius, it turned in to a a symbol of glamour, something that looks more and more natural. Instead of fulfilling the purpose of the sheitel that was to make us less noticeable, it became an enhancement and improvement. Everybody knows this, everybody ubderstands this, but no one says it, because the truth is hidden..."
Rav Wachsman is American and very knowledgeable on the topic. This speech can actually be heard on Inspire by Wire.
The sheitel is a leniency- its not an ideal. Its allowed (if it doesn't enchance and improve ones appearance otherwise it defeats the whole purpose of the mitzvah) but it was not our mesorah or preferred over a cloth head covering.

CiCi

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 10:58 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
A sheitel is called a heter- its a leniency. Its called that across the board. It was a halachic debate with many forbidding it.
Exact words from Rav Ephraim Wachsman shlita at a major asifa in 5775:
"The sheitel originated as a leniency in order to accommodate the weakness of the generation. Then the leniencies became greater and greater. There was a time when it was still recognized as a certain level of tznius. But than a change happened, and instead of a sheitel becoming a symbol of tznius, it turned in to a a symbol of glamour, something that looks more and more natural. Instead of fulfilling the purpose of the sheitel that was to make us less noticeable, it became an enhancement and improvement. Everybody knows this, everybody ubderstands this, but no one says it, because the truth is hidden..."
Rav Wachsman is American and very knowledgeable on the topic. This speech can actually be heard on Inspire by Wire.
The sheitel is a leniency- its not an ideal. Its allowed (if it doesn't enchance and improve ones appearance otherwise it defeats the whole purpose of the mitzvah) but it was not our mesorah or preferred over a cloth head covering.

I don't know Rabbi Wachsman's wife but I'm wiling to bet that she wears a shaitel and not a tichel. I'm sure this was only part of the speech he gave, I believe the rest of it is about wearing tzniusdige shaitlech.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:14 pm
CiCi wrote:
I don't know Rabbi Wachsman's wife but I'm wiling to bet that she wears a shaitel and not a tichel. I'm sure this was only part of the speech he gave, I believe the rest of it is about wearing tzniusdige shaitlech.

Sorry, but you lost the bet. Rolling Eyes

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:20 pm
So actually no- I know Rebbetzin Wachsman personally and she switched to only tichels years ago. (She used to wear a sheitel)
And actually Rav Wachsman shlita totally mentioned and praised women who wear tichels in this very speech heard by thousands: (his exact words- all written in the book Adorned with Dignity)
"There is a group of women who have taken upon themselves to wear tichels as often as they can. We have to be mechazek them! Theyre not extreme or fanatic. In truth, people who use such terms are just trying to validate themselves so that they dont have to confront the emes.
These nashim tzidkaniyos are regular women who went through our Bais Yaakovs, yet they took upon themselves the mesorah of our tzaddikim and gedolei Yistael. Indeed, they were taught to live with the truth and respect the truth. Thus, they looked at the sheitels of today and said to themselves- this contradicts my values, this is not emes, this is not yiras shamayim.
And we should admire these women and aspire to get to their level of yiras shamayim. Of course there are many different kehillos and people who are on different levels. And to some people who are just at the very beginning, the whole idea of covering yhe hair is in itself an avodah and a self sacrifice. But the wives of bnei torah, of erhliche yidden who sacrifice to learn and support Torah... we know what is emes. And we know that we cannot sacrifice the future of klal Yisrael and the emes of Klal Yisrael for a nisayon that is an illusion and is taking us away from the emes."

The emes is truly hidden today....

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:22 pm
Yellow I’m almost getting convinced!
You’re definitely well educated in this subject.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:32 pm
Again none of this is my personal feelings or my own opinion.
Heres a letter from Harav Shmuel Halevi Wosner ztl, Harav Michal Lipkowitz and Haran Nissim Karelitz on 15 Teves 5756:

"It gladdens our hearts upon hearing that women have taken upon themselves to be scrupulous in the mitzvah of tznius and have returned to the accepted custom of Yisrael to cover their heads with a kerchief, as opposed to a wig, in order to fulfill the opinion of all poskim. How proper and beautiful is this practicd, and how much it increases purity and kedushah. Surely, their zechid is very great...
We would like to encourage these women of valor and bless them from the depths of our hearts with children, life and abundant sustenance and all goodness. And as the Yalkut teaches, "The generations will not be redeemed only in the merit of the modest women in the generation."
Although we do not hsve the capabilities of enforcing this on all women...surely it is our obligation to give chizuk to these righteous women who are able to return and wear a ker hief as a head-covering, just like the Chasam Sofer wrote in Shulchan Aruch and in his holy will."
(Printed in the amazing book Adorned with Dignity)

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:40 pm
Im glad the posts are helping someone!

Im a bit passionate about the subject:)
But only because as Rav Wachsman said so eloquently the truth is hidden today (and this is such an important mitzvah.)

Genius

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:44 pm
Im glad the posts are helping someone!

Im a bit passionate about the subject:)
But only because as Rav Wachsman said so eloquently the truth is hidden today (and this is such an important mitzvah.)

Passionate indeed!

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:49 pm
Sorry! One more important letter printed in Adorned with Dignity:
"We support and bless those women who have returned to the age-old custom of covering their head with a kerchief instead of a wig in order to fulfill the opinion of all poskim... and especially in todays times when many of the contemporary wigs are not in line with the guidelines of tznius."
Letter signed by Harav Shmuel Halevi Wosner ztl, Harav Lipkowitz, Harav Elyashiv ztl, Harav Shmuel Aurbach (in name of his father Harav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach ztl), Harav Gestetner, Harav Hager, Rebbe of Visnitz, Harav Karelitz

This is not only meant for Jewish women in Israel- its for all Jewish women

CiCi

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 12:09 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Sorry, but you lost the bet. Rolling Eyes

I'm glad I didn't bet with money. LOL

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 12:18 am
The deviation from tradition is addessed in Adorned with Dignity:
When women began to wear sheitels in public, it was a new phenomenon that deviated from the tradition.
This breakage of tradition occurred around 180 years ago when the czar of the Russian empire (which at that time included Lithuania) decreed that all women under his jurisdiction may not cover their hair. This heartbreaking act of immodesty forced some Rabbanim in that time to allow women to wear sheitels in public as opposed to their own hair. This leniency was based on a heter by the Shiltei Giborim, a posek who lived approximately five hundred years ago, which is brought down by the Rema. Since it was recognizable in those times that the sheitels werent the womens own hair the Rabbanim figured that it was better for a woman to wear a wig rather than her own hair.
NOTE: it should be noted that many Rabbanim throughout the generations vehemently opposed this heter- among them: the Be'er Sheva, the Chida, the Yeshuos Yaakov, the Pachad Yizchok, the Shiurei Knesses HaGedolah, the Magen Giborim, the Sdei Chemed, Rav Avraham Palagi, Rav Yitzchak Abualpaya, the Vilna Gaon, the Chasam Sofer, all sephardic Rabbanim, the Divrei Chaim and many chassidic Rabbanim among many other gedolim and rabbanim. Various Rabbanim believed that the Shiltei Giborim and the Rema only allowed a woman to wear a sheitel in her courtyard.

Harav Shmuel Halevi Wosner ztl expounds upon this debate in his sefer Sheivet Halevi:
"It is known that the Shiltei Giborim and the Rema gave a heter. Yet this was a minority against the majority that were machmir. And in places where they couldnt enforce this, they relied on the leniency. (Some are of the opinion that even those who were lenienr did not intend to give an explicit heter...)
Harav Binyamin Rabinowitz attested to the reason for the outbreak of sheitels (see his approbation for the sefer Daas Moshe V'yisroel):
The custom of wearing sheitels in public started approximately 150 years ago because of the decree of the Czar that women must uncover their hair in public...even after the decree was abolished, this custom remained and continued to be practiced in later generations until the cause for this custom has become completely forgotten."
(Adorned with Dignity))

Anyways my point is not to argue the heter which is accepted in most Ashkenazic circles- its to give the background to show wigs came about. As Rav Wachsman said in his speech the wigs "The sheitel originated as a leniency in order to accommodate the weakness of the generation..."
Its not the ideal.
And this big debate at that time was on very ugly wigs!

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 12:19 am
Amother yellow, I truly admire women who wear a tichel only, despite this meaning that they go against the flow.
What I am confused/disappointed about is that these women spend so much time on the internet.
I say this kindly: The women I know who upgraded to tichels eschew mindless browsing on imamother.
Don't you see the inconsistency here?
I know that no one is perfect in all areas, but I see so much more of a need to cut down on internet activity.
Either way, may your exalted headcovering bring you and your family and all of Klal Yisroel much bracha.

CiCi

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 12:20 am
Sorry! One more important letter printed in Adorned with Dignity:
"We support and bless those women who have returned to the age-old custom of covering their head with a kerchief instead of a wig in order to fulfill the opinion of all poskim... and especially in todays times when many of the contemporary wigs are not in line with the guidelines of tznius."
Letter signed by Harav Shmuel Halevi Wosner ztl, Harav Lipkowitz, Harav Elyashiv ztl, Harav Shmuel Aurbach (in name of his father Harav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach ztl), Harav Gestetner, Harav Hager, Rebbe of Visnitz, Harav Karelitz

This is not only meant for Jewish women in Israel- its for all Jewish women

Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not putting on a tichel, I have enough from my snoods/chenilles however they are called, sliding around my head all day. With my shaitel I feel sufficiently covered with clips holding the shaitel in place.

But kol hakovod to those who switch to wearing only tichels.

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 12:22 am
Amother yellow, I truly admire women who wear a tichel only, despite this meaning that they go against the flow.
What I am confused/disappointed about is that these women spend so much time on the internet.
I say this kindly: The women I know who upgraded to tichels eschew mindless browsing on imamother.
I know that no one is perfect in all areas, but I see so much more of a need to cut down on internet activity.
Either way, may your exalted headcovering bring you and your family and all of Klal Yisroel much bracha.

Now this thread will be upgraded to an internet discussion. I’ll start.
Do you think internet with a filter is a problem for mature adults?

Genius

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 12:22 am

Why don’t you at least quote a sefer if you choose to debate Miss Yellow about a different subject entirely?

CiCi

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 12:28 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
Yellow I’m almost getting convinced!
You’re definitely well educated in this subject.

What does it mean now that you are almost convinced? Are you ready to never wear wigs again? I think it's the first time I've seen anyone getting convinced from someone else on this forum.

Last edited by CiCi on Tue, Sep 15 2020, 12:39 am; edited 2 times in total

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 12:29 am
CiCi wrote:
What does it mean now that you are almost convinced? Are you ready to never wear wigs again? I think it's the first time I've seen anyone getting convinced from someone else on this forum.

Sorry, the right word was inspired.
Don’t worry it’s not something you do in a day.
But yea I’m pretty impressed with the amount of knowledge she shared. I’m beginning to think she authored that book Wink

CiCi

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 12:39 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
Sorry, the right word was inspired.
Don’t worry it’s not something you do in a day.
But yea I’m pretty impressed with the amount of knowledge she shared. I’m beginning to think she authored that book Wink

I wasn't particularly worried, just puzzled Wink

ExtraCredit

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 12:46 am
CiCi wrote:
I wasn't particularly worried, just puzzled Wink

Did you find the missing piece yet?
Page 14 of 15   Previous  1  2  3 13  14  15  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels