Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Covid in school

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 4:49 pm
My 10 year old just came home and told me there’s a kid in his class who tested positive for covid yesterday. I confirmed it with another parent and it’s actually true. The school didn’t notify any parents, and they “handled” it by having their class Learn in the lunchroom today (not sure what exactly that helps). Is that the norm? Are schools not obligated to tell parents if there’s a covid case in the class? I’m horrified. And the rest of the class went home on the school bus today like normal, even though they are all exposed.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 4:53 pm
They are obligated to inform you, since the whole class needs to quarantine!

Call the school immediately.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 5:00 pm
Doesn’t seem they planned to tell us! So angry!

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 5:07 pm
This is horrible! Can you tell us where you're located, and if you're comfortable, what type of school this is?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 5:10 pm
I don’t want to get the school in trouble or cause panic but it’s a typical Brooklyn schOol

Last edited by amother on Sun, Sep 13 2020, 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

momtra

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 5:11 pm
Did they let parents know before the start of the school year what their plan would be?

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 5:20 pm
I have also experienced that...brooklyn school. (Different because my son is 12) I am fuming. I want to keep my son home but the school won't set up zoom unless they are all quarantined. I am so angry.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 5:30 pm
High school. One kid tested positive. School asked parents not to test since to many( false )positives will cause the school to close down.

Another kid got sick. School moved kids to outside learning off of the property. Kids weren't allowed onto the bus for 14 days.

I think another dc may have gotten sick over the weekend. Since it's a "dont test " policy, who knows.

Because of this I am working remotely now. I was back in the office over the summer, but now since all my kids schools have this policy I have no way of knowing if we had direct contact to Covid.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 5:54 pm
Exhibit B why there have been more fatalities from Covid in the US than elsewhere. Hint: It's not because of politics or over counting. But, because of negligence from within. As long as people have their freedom they couldn't care who else they infect or kill on the way.

I can't even. What are these schools thinking?? Yes, I know the virus may be less deadly now. I know we have better ways to treat it. Blah blah blah. However, if you want life to continue like normal you need to take precautions and isolate those who have Covid or have been in contact with known cases. Otherwise...

Hashem Yishmor.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:57 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
High school. One kid tested positive. School asked parents not to test since to many( false )positives will cause the school to close down.

Another kid got sick. School moved kids to outside learning off of the property. Kids weren't allowed onto the bus for 14 days.

I think another dc may have gotten sick over the weekend. Since it's a "dont test " policy, who knows.

Because of this I am working remotely now. I was back in the office over the summer, but now since all my kids schools have this policy I have no way of knowing if we had direct contact to Covid.

"Don't test" means not unnecessarily. If someone has symptoms then of course they should test.

As to the rest of it... Hashem yishmor, I don't even know what to say

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:37 pm
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/0......html

(CNN)At least three teachers have died from complications of Covid-19 in recent weeks, according to CNN reporting and local media reports.

Demetria Bannister, a 28-year-old elementary school teacher in Columbia, South Carolina, was diagnosed with the virus last Friday and died Monday from Covid-19 complications, a week into the start of the school year there, CNN affiliate WIS reported.
AshLee DeMarinis, a 34-year-old middle school teacher in Potosi, Missouri, died Sunday after battling complications related to Covid-19 for three weeks, CNN affiliate KMOV reported.
Thomas Slade, a teacher at Vancleave High School in Jackson County, Mississippi, passed away last week, Superintendent John Strycker said in a statement on Wednesday.
CNN affiliate WLOX reported that Slade died on Sunday due to complications related to Covid-19.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:51 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/10/us/demetria-bannister-teacher-coronavirus-death-trnd/index.html

(CNN)At least three teachers have died from complications of Covid-19 in recent weeks, according to CNN reporting and local media reports.

Demetria Bannister, a 28-year-old elementary school teacher in Columbia, South Carolina, was diagnosed with the virus last Friday and died Monday from Covid-19 complications, a week into the start of the school year there, CNN affiliate WIS reported.
AshLee DeMarinis, a 34-year-old middle school teacher in Potosi, Missouri, died Sunday after battling complications related to Covid-19 for three weeks, CNN affiliate KMOV reported.
Thomas Slade, a teacher at Vancleave High School in Jackson County, Mississippi, passed away last week, Superintendent John Strycker said in a statement on Wednesday.
CNN affiliate WLOX reported that Slade died on Sunday due to complications related to Covid-19.

Crying

I'm a teacher in one of these don't test, don't tell schools.

I'm scared.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics