Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Bottom line - does robot vacuum replace regular vacuum
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:20 pm
I am in the market for a vacuum and I keep hearing about these robot vacuums. I am willing to spend the money I just want to know if I buy one will I also need to vacuum? Would love to get rid of the upright. I keep hearing conflicting reports. Can someone that has a high end robot vacuum opine?

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:41 pm
It does not replace a regular vacuum, no.

It replaces middle-of-the-week housework/cleaning help that I used to do or hire. It cannot handle the more intense shabbos cleaning, and certainly not Pesach cleaning.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:43 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
It does not replace a regular vacuum, no.

It replaces middle-of-the-week housework/cleaning help that I used to do or hire. It cannot handle the more intense shabbos cleaning, and certainly not Pesach cleaning.

oh Shucks - not what I wanted to hear Sad
I'd love to just get the top of the line device and call it a day.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:43 pm
I have one and I love it. Doesn’t replace it cuz doesn’t do corners well and doesn’t do steps.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:44 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I have one and I love it. Doesn’t replace it cuz doesn’t do corners well and doesn’t do steps.

okay- what if I did corners and steps, would it otherwise replace?

tichellady

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
okay- what if I did corners and steps, would it otherwise replace?

Yes

octopus

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 7:56 pm
Do they have something like this for mopping?

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 8:00 pm
They do, I tried it but it does more of a quick wipe down than an actual mop. Some run out of water before they get through the whole room. Was not a success for us

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 8:04 pm
We got one as a gift. It is completely useless as a main vacuum cleaner, particularly if you have kids. It mainly gets dust. Might be ok for a neat couple, but not a busy household.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 8:06 pm
Just wondering if this replaced mopping and vacuuming for anyone out there? If you don't have such high standards and never had a cleaning lady anyways.

nchr

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 8:08 pm
I am very happy with my robot. You need to do the stairs and corners or hard to get places with a regular vacuum every other week or maybe more depending on your family, but not necessarily an expensive one IMO. We also are pretty careful about messes - I.e. do not bring dirt into the house, slippers only, only eating at designated food locations such as in a seat at the table, one toy at a time, etc. It does not replace mopping.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 8:10 pm
It does all of our corners really well. Not all the furniture nooks. But we move things occasionally so it can get to those spots. It's not for steps and not for the couch. We have hardwood and tile throughout. For us it kind of does replace our vacuum which we used tonise a lot. We got a tiny mini vacuum for the couch and other such twice a year projects.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 8:21 pm
Mine is always getting stuck on my carpet for some reason. Liked it in the beginning but really not so happy with Sad

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 8:54 pm
I just got a cheaper one. I love it love it love it. It does a great job and oh the relief I feel that someone is starting to clean and it's not me. It can't do steps and it misses corners but I run it over and over until it succeeds and my house is spotless. So much dust and crumbs it picks up, it's great.
Worth every cheap penny I paid for it

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:03 pm
I got it as a gift. totally useless on my wood floor. doesn't do floors in a seder….goes here and there...and nowhere. makes a lot of noise...I totally sidelined it....

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:07 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I got it as a gift. totally useless on my wood floor. doesn't do floors in a seder….goes here and there...and nowhere. makes a lot of noise...I totally sidelined it....

We love love the Roomba! But it's more useful to use while we're out of the house. When we are home, it's annoying to have underfoot or watch it's funny path.
When we are home and we need to use it,, we lock it into one bedroom at a time so it doesn't wander and we don't hear the noise. We set it up in the main areas later at night - using the virtual wall so it concentrates there only.
But we really get the best out of it when it's set to turn on while we're out of the house.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:08 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:

My floors are mostly wood and it works fine. Maybe it depends on the brand.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:29 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I just got a cheaper one. I love it love it love it. It does a great job and oh the relief I feel that someone is starting to clean and it's not me. It can't do steps and it misses corners but I run it over and over until it succeeds and my house is spotless. So much dust and crumbs it picks up, it's great.
Worth every cheap penny I paid for it
plz share which one! Looking for cheap one

queen esther

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:46 pm
I kind of agree with ra_mom above, similar to my experience. I am NOT a great housekeeper, not very strict about mess, etc. So our floors get kind of dirty, I have wood and tile everywhere other than one room. Got a robot when I decided I needed some more help with cleaning and haven't had my actual live person help in months. I still have a vacuum to be able to do couch (might only be for pesach but shhhh....) Or if I wanted to be ambitious and clean corners and other hard to reach places.. Which I don't really have time for now, so for me the robot did replace the constant sweeping up I either had to do or felt guilty not doing. I still have to spend time clearing big things from the floor and making sure nothing around to get stuck- which is different from a broom or vacuum, where you can just do whichever part you want and go around stuff, or sweep up toys/junk to one spot and then clear. But I like knowing that once I spend that time cleaning up, the actual sweeping will be done pretty well, it gets mostly everything that's not blocked. Goes around my chair legs, under couch. I am happy I got it but also spent a lot of time deciding if worth it.

ally

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 10:02 pm
It’s great for maintenance but doesn’t replace a deep clean. It gets a lot of dust though and to me that’s worth it. We have a cheap one (deebot - costs less than $200) and it has lasted more than a year of daily use.
We had a Scooba (mopping roomba) a few years ago. It was more of a surface clean and took too much effort to prepare/clean. They might have improved since then.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry