Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Meat recipes
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 8:01 pm
I bought several cuts of meat in Bingo and wanted to try some new and good recipes, preferably different from each other.

Oyster steak

Shoulder steak

Lamb shoulder

Silvertip Roast

Putting this in an anon-enabled forum as I have been asking around in real-life too!

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 8:14 pm
This is from Dolly Welsh. I use this recipe. Its really incredible! I marinate night before with spices and vinigar and otherwise follow directions. Slice cery thin across the grain and its DELISH!! Been making it for past few years. ALWAYS a huge hit!

Dolly Welsh
Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 12:13 pm
Preheat the oven to 400 F. There should be no other food in the oven.

Line a pan with THREE LONG layers of tin foil, going in opposite directions, sideways and longways, very loooong pieces of tinfoil. Do not stint the tinfoil.

Now, chuck some spices into the bottom on top of the tinfoil: some garlic powder and black pepper, oregano Maybe some onion powder too, if you want. NO salt.

Take the silver tip roast, about 5 pounds, and pat it dry with paper towels.

Plunk it into the pan.

Chuck the same spices as before on the top of the meat.

Press the tinfoil closely around the meat, as if you were wrapping a package. This keeps the meat moist.

Place the pan in the high-middle part of the oven.

Set a timer for THREE hours. Don't open the oven at all.

Exactly three hours later, take it out to cool, still wrapped, on top of the oven. It also eats well cold, sliced, with mustard.

This is foolproof and easy.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:30 pm
This sounds delish. How would you change for smaller pieces of roast (I bought 2 small ones)!

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 12:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This sounds delish. How would you change for smaller pieces of roast (I bought 2 small ones)!

I just cokk it for less time ...like 2 hrs and then turn off the oven and let it sit. You will be surprised how much liquid there is.
Only slice it when it has cooled down or cold!
I just bought 2 because they were on sale and froze sliced with the liquid. Freezes really well!
Enjoy!

jflower

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 6:13 am
Apricot, can you please post the exact recipe for the marinade? I've never used vinegar for a marinade before. TIA

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:04 am
jflower wrote:
Apricot, can you please post the exact recipe for the marinade? I've never used vinegar for a marinade before. TIA

I rub garlic powder, oregano, pepper (not too much), onion powder over the silvertip. Put it in a ziplock back and pur some vinigar, like 1/4 cup. Makes sure the vinegar gets over most of the roast. (This tenderizes the meat). Marinate overnight.

Next day I follow Dolly instructions. I soak up all moisture patting dry with paper towels. Re spice etc.....

Its really an amazing recipe and so easy. Even my picky eaters will have this!

jflower

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:10 am
Can I use white wine vinegar? Or do you use regular white vinegar? I'm not crazy about the vinegar smell so would like to use a milder version. Thanks

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:30 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
This is from Dolly Welsh. I use this recipe. Its really incredible! I marinate night before with spices and vinigar and otherwise follow directions. Slice cery thin across the grain and its DELISH!! Been making it for past few years. ALWAYS a huge hit!

Dolly Welsh

Line a pan with THREE LONG layers of tin foil, going in opposite directions, sideways and longways, very loooong pieces of tinfoil. Do not stint the tinfoil.

Now, chuck some spices into the bottom on top of the tinfoil: some garlic powder and black pepper, oregano Maybe some onion powder too, if you want. NO salt.

Plunk it into the pan.

Press the tinfoil closely around the meat, as if you were wrapping a package. This keeps the meat moist.

Exactly three hours later, take it out to cool, still wrapped, on top of the oven. It also eats well cold, sliced, with mustard.

Can you possibly post a pic of this? With the foil? I’m having such a hard time visualizing this
I’d love to try this

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:29 am
jflower wrote:
Can I use white wine vinegar? Or do you use regular white vinegar? I'm not crazy about the vinegar smell so would like to use a milder version. Thanks

I only have ACV. Would that work?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:29 am
Anybody else have any recipes for the other cuts?

cbg

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:37 am
Following

thanks

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 12:49 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:

Dolly Welsh

Plunk it into the pan.

Does it shrink?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 3:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anybody else have any recipes for the other cuts?

Oyster steak should be grilled. Slice and serve on the diagonal over a side dish or over a salad.
Shoulder steak is very lean. You can bake it like minute steak with some liquid/oil.
Veal roast
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....04187

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 4:14 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Oyster steak should be grilled. Slice and serve on the diagonal over a side dish or over a salad.
Shoulder steak is very lean. You can bake it like minute steak with some liquid/oil.
Veal roast
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....04187

Thanks. to the rescue as usual! What about the oyster steak if I don't have a grill? Do in a grill pan and then serve cold?

Shoulder steak, Im thinking of doing a mushroom base...

The lamb shoulder is sliced already. It isn't a full roast anymore.

mha3484

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 4:20 pm
Someone should correct me but once the lamb shoulder is sliced, I think you cook it like lamb chops. You can google any recipe. My husband likes to get lamb shoulder chops or lamb blade chops from the local grocery store and grill them to medium rare. They are basically a less expensive lamb chop.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 4:23 pm
You can make the Oyster steak like London broil. Adjust cooking time for smaller size. It tastes good at room temperature.

Like mha3484 said, cook the veal slices like boneless chops.

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 4:29 pm
I made these lamb shoulder chops that came out amazing. We actually had this dish in Paris and it was so good we asked the chef for the recipe, and it was roughly this:

2-3 hours in advance marinate on both sides with olive oil, paprika, sumac, zataar, turmeric, coriander, one diced onion, 2 diced garlic cloves. Rub it all into the meat.

Sear on all sides to lock in the juice (just about 2 minutes on each side until it gets just a little dark). Reapply a little more of each spice.

Place in a covered baking dish such as a dutch oven over a bed of sliced potatoes (the potatoes come out absolutely insane). Bake for 2-3 hours at 250 depending on thickness. Serve over Israeli couscous! I like to add some turmeric and paprika to the water when I make the couscous which makes it extra flavorful.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 6:16 pm
jflower wrote:

I use whie distilled vinegar. I also can't stand the smell. Once in the ziplock smell is gone and it just preps meat to come out soft.
You could try other vinegar. Its just to tenderize the meat.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 6:20 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Can you possibly post a pic of this? With the foil? I’m having such a hard time visualizing this
I’d love to try this

So I take a large disposable cookie sheet. I cut three large pieces heavy duty foil and put roast in center and sort create a space with the foil and seal by twisting in top. Then 2nd foil...then third. I need to drop my oven rack cuz it gets kida high.

Sorry if it's confusing. She posts the recipe in a few places in imamother. Google silvertip roast imamother ....that might be more helpful.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 6:22 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I’d love to try this

Next time I make it! I made on fri two silvertip for RH
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics