Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Does your dh help you make challah?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:31 pm
I make challah every few weeks, and dh helps me split up the dough and braid it. It's a lot of work and very time consuming, since I make so many challahs at once. We always discuss whether it's typical for a man to help his wife with making challah. So to help us come to a conclusion, do you know any men who help their wives with this?

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:33 pm
Sometimes if I'm very exhausted and he's around then I'll ask him to roll the strands, and I'll braid. It doesn't work out often though, and our kitchen is very small so we end up stepping on each other's toes. It does make the job easier though.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:34 pm
Yes, for the reasons you mentioned.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Apr 28 2021, 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

yiddishmom

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:34 pm
Neither my husband nor my father do. I make 5 pounds at a time, and divide it in 12 challos.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:35 pm
I don't know any. It seems like such a nice thing to do together. Enjoy it!

At one point in our marriage my husband was the one to bake cake for shabbat. It was always funny. He insisted that there was no need for recipes or measurements. He would sing as he did it. The baked goods always came out with character...

icedcoffee

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:36 pm
My husband helps me because he loves cooking and finds the braiding and egg-washing part to be fun! I like doing it together and it's nice to have an extra hand.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:37 pm
He washes my dirty bowls, measuring cups/ spoons, bread pans, baking sheets and so forth. I think that counts, especially since it's the part I really hate.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:43 pm
He takes out the heavy Bosch mixer for me 😀

QueensMama

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:47 pm
Dh always helps braid the challos. He watched quite a few youtube videos on it and honestly he braids them better than me.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:53 pm
I have no patience for making challah, but DH does, so he's the one most likely to bake some if he's in the mood. Nowadays our kids help him too. Usually I just buy challah though.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:53 pm
It never occurred to me to ask him! But he would do a much better job braiding than me.

Maybe one Thursday night after they're all sleeping.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:54 pm
No but then I never asked. My ds doesn’t help his dw make challah—he MAKES it and better than I do. He learned by helping me from an early age and the student has surpassed the teacher.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:56 pm
My DH is the one who makes the challah. He lets the kids help him braid and glaze.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:59 pm
DH puts the ingredients into the mixer to make the dough. I do the braiding.

Frumme

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 9:59 pm
QueensMama wrote:
Dh always helps braid the challos. He watched quite a few youtube videos on it and honestly he braids them better than me.

Mine too. DH is always reminding me how to do the 6 braid LOL

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 10:00 pm
If I ask nicely.

It should totally be a man's job btw!

All the rolling and braiding is hard physical labor!

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 10:17 pm
I love baking challah. Dh helps by cleaning up after me lol. My kids each get dough to make into wtvr show their hearts desire. I do the rest. I usually do about 12 pounds at a time. One white dough and one whole wheat and I do it every few weeks. I recently made challah for my sister's Shabbos Sheva brochos and then I made 5 batches (60 pounds in ONE night)

Bh this is one mitzvah I LOVE. I just ate the cleaning up, hence dh doing it. Lol

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 10:28 pm
My grandfather always baked the challahs from A-Z

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 10:30 pm
Mine doesn't, but my father makes the dough and my mother braids and bakes it. He does it because he's more particular about how he wants the dough and my mother kind of threw up her hands at some point and said "You do it!"

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Sep 13 2020, 10:31 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Mine doesn't, but my father makes the dough and my mother braids and bakes it. He does it because he's more particular about how he wants the dough and my mother kind of threw up her hands at some point and said "You do it!"

That’s me
Because he wants his mother’s recipe!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen