Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Does your dh help you make challah?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

greenhelm

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 8:59 am
miami85 wrote:
Right now he makes the week-to-week challah, he works from home and I work out of the home.

Same here! His braids are much nicer than mine!

SivanMom

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:04 am
My husband makes the challah. All I do is make the bracha.

imabima

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:17 am
Nope. My son who is almost bar mitzvah is learning how, though.

anonymrs

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:19 am
avrahamama wrote:
I don't know any. It seems like such a nice thing to do together. Enjoy it!

At one point in our marriage my husband was the one to bake cake for shabbat. It was always funny. He insisted that there was no need for recipes or measurements. He would sing as he did it. The baked goods always came out with character...

Your husband is lucky to have you!

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:33 am
The only man who helps me make challah is my 4 year old

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:46 am
DH never helps me and I never thought to ask.
BUT he does do the bagging and storing in the freezer cuz by then I'm pooped.

I have to say I'm truly proud of all the men helping with this task. it's really nice.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:00 am
Not my husband, but whenever he is home, my teenage son does the braiding. He is so much better at it than I am and his challahs are gorgeous! He learned how to make 6 braided ones in camp years ago (I always made 3 strand braids) and they are perfect, so whenever he is home from yeshiva I make a 5 lb. dough and he does the braiding. His future wife is very lucky. Smile

momof2+?

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:43 am
My husband helps by EATING the challah😋
And complimenting me time and time again😊

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 12:39 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
He washes my dirty bowls, measuring cups/ spoons, bread pans, baking sheets and so forth. I think that counts, especially since it's the part I really hate.

100%. I'd appreciate that much more than his doing the braiding. The braiding is the fun part. If that's all he's gonna do, who needs him?

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 12:41 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I love baking challah. Dh helps by cleaning up after me lol. My kids each get dough to make into wtvr show their hearts desire. I do the rest. I usually do about 12 pounds at a time. One white dough and one whole wheat and I do it every few weeks. I recently made challah for my sister's Shabbos Sheva brochos and then I made 5 batches (60 pounds in ONE night)

Bh this is one mitzvah I LOVE. I just ate the cleaning up, hence dh doing it. Lol

Do you have a commercial mixer, or do you drive your car back and forth over the dough in a plastic bag 1/8" thick?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 12:51 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
It never occured to me that men would help with Challah!
so cute that so many husbands help with braiding!

If I ask my dh he wld think I fell from the moon!
He gets annoyed when he does dips - he has stopped doing that too. He thinks all the cooking should be on the women, because "its the womens job."

like the guide michelin?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 12:54 pm
I've seen men wanting to participate in hafrashas challah events

I've seen men do bread, cakes, full meals, take a super large family out

In a few ethnicities men handle the kids

IT IS ALL LEARNED

My husband has an engineer eye his braid is good and so his guesstimate

Snickers18

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 1:02 pm
zaq wrote:
Do you have a commercial mixer, or do you drive your car back and forth over the dough in a plastic bag 1/8" thick?

LOL

I can't answer for her, but we don't own a commercial mixer and do those amounts in the big buckets, kneading by hand.

perquacky

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 1:24 pm
My husband does all the cooking.
I do all the baking.
We have a very equitable relationship in the kitchen--and elsewhere!

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 2:04 pm
My kids (boys and girls) help make the strands and braid them, but dh doesn’t. He’s very busy working and we usually make the challah while he’s at work. I never thought to ask him if he’d like to help. Hmm...maybe?

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 3:34 pm
DH does it from beginning to end. But, he's an anomaly in my circles and doesn't like people to know - he always pretends that I did it.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 3:52 pm
I knew a man who hid it (french living in us)

lamplighter

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 3:58 pm
This is such a cute thread!

Ive never asked him.
I really enjoy making challah but I bet he could if I asked him to. He doesn't have much time and I am much quicker (he does things precise and I do things fast Smile )

ChanieMommy

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 4:10 pm
It's so nice to read that so many couples or even families make challah together... It never occured to me that you could split the dough-making from the braiding...
I love the community spirit this generates... Who made challot? Both of us! The whole family! That's so nice...

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 4:26 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
It never occured to me that men would help with Challah!
so cute that so many husbands help with braiding!

If I ask my dh he wld think I fell from the moon!
He gets annoyed when he does dips - he has stopped doing that too. He thinks all the cooking should be on the women, because "its the womens job."

Sorry but I don't get this. And your husband probably shouldn't come to my house. I don't even help my husband with the challah. He does it all start to finish. He also does most of the cooking too!! He is just better at it and enjoys it. I do things like that because I have to, he does it because he likes to. He cooks dinner most nights too.

Oh and I am the one to do most of the "male tasks" because I am much better at that! I do most of the sukkah myself, he helps hold the pieces while I attach. I build the IKEA furniture, unclog drains, change the air conditioner filters, and other basic handyman tasks. I can add air to tires if the low air pressure light comes on... I wish I knew how to change the oil as that gets expensive!
It is his set of knives and it is MY toolbox.

I actually thought about taking a course on basic plumbing or handyman skills because why pay when I can do it?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen