Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Is speech and language therapy covered

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 6:47 am
Hi there!

My daughter is 9 years old and we think she has language processing issues. We are working with a speech and language therapist here in the US and pay quite a bit of money for these twice weekly sessions. They are not covered with most insurance here.

Just wondering if that is something that is possible for me to get for my daughter in israel with a good English speaking therapist.

And if anyone knows if these kinds of services are covered by insurance.

Thanks all!

Teomima

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 6:56 am
Up till age nine many such services are covered through Child Development (hitpatchut hayeled) through your kupah. After 9 it is possible to apply for services that they may or may not cover. You receive a form and the kupah decides. Obviously if you want to go private, no problem.

There are therapists here who work with different languages, you just have to find one who works with English. If you're asking because you're considering Aliyah, keep in mind the challenges of adding a new language for someone with speech and language issues. She'll need to do twice as much work to successfully manage both languages. I'm not saying this to deter you at all! Just something to keep in mind.

Success10

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 6:58 am
Isn't the kupah coverage limited to a certain amount of sessions only? I don't think it's considered a long-term thing.

Teomima

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:01 am
Success10 wrote:
Isn't the kupah coverage limited to a certain amount of sessions only? I don't think it's considered a long-term thing.

Correct.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:09 am
Teomima wrote:
Up till age nine many such services are covered through Child Development (hitpatchut hayeled) through your kupah. After 9 it is possible to apply for services that they may or may not cover. You receive a form and the kupah decides. Obviously if you want to go private, no problem.

There are therapists here who work with different languages, you just have to find one who works with English. If you're asking because you're considering Aliyah, keep in mind the challenges of adding a new language for someone with speech and language issues. She'll need to do twice as much work to successfully manage both languages. I'm not saying this to deter you at all! Just something to keep in mind.

Yes we are planning on making Aliyah in the next few months hopefully. It’s one of the things I am worried about that if she has a hard time understanding sometimes what’s going on here how will she manage in Israel even landing in a very Anglo area Sad

Ok so looks like by the time we get there my daughter might age out of the covered services and we would have to apply to see if it would be covered.

Any idea on how much it is to go private?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:21 am
You can still get help through the kupah, but it’s much more tedious.

salt

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 2:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes we are planning on making Aliyah in the next few months hopefully. It’s one of the things I am worried about that if she has a hard time understanding sometimes what’s going on here how will she manage in Israel even landing in a very Anglo area Sad

Ok so looks like by the time we get there my daughter might age out of the covered services and we would have to apply to see if it would be covered.

Any idea on how much it is to go private?

Just did an internet search - found one speech therapist that does sessions for 300 shekels/hour.
And one website said the price for a session ranges from 22-350 shekels.

Hope that gives you some sort of idea.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions