Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What is Your Shul Doing?
1  2  Next

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 10:08 am
Just curious

Our shul is having numerous smaller, shorter minyanim, some indoors at shul, some outdoors and shul, some at people's houses. It should be "interesting."

ChanieMommy

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 10:14 am
They do shofar outdoors, and also go to blow shofar for people who cannot come to shul...

We always have an extra minyan (I.e. double the space) forYamim Noraim, so since not everyone will be coming, we hope there will be enough space.

People have to register before yom tov...

So I suppose they could open an extra minyan if they see there is not enough space.

We have to keep social distancing, which amounts to limit the number of attendends according to surface of the room, places will be blocked, attendents are not allowed to sing along, mask is mandatory.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 10:14 am
What are they doing about Sifrei Torah? The shul can lend them out, and some people might have their own, but unless people carry them from one minyan to another (not ideal, and if there is mo eruv can't happen o n first day), the amount if minyanim is limited by the amount of kosher Sifrei Torah available

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 10:16 am
DH had to pre register at his shul. They're only allowing a limited amount of people.

ChanieMommy

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 10:17 am
Elfrida wrote:
What are they doing about Sifrei Torah? The shul can lend them out, and some people might have their own, but unless people carry them from one minyan to another (not ideal, and if there is mo eruv can't happen o n first day), the amount if minyanim is limited by the amount of kosher Sifrei Torah available

In my community, that's not the problem, we have enough sifrei torah to go around... but the bottle neck is the number of potential chazanim, etc...

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 10:24 am
We have been having many many out doors minyanim since purim here. The shuls have been gaving a soecific number inside and also an over flow, specific number, mintan, outside. Same for the chagim. The minyanim, I asdume, have torahs as I hear the torah reading from my wondow every shabbat.

keym

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 10:29 am
What complicates things even more is that the first day of RH is Shabbos. So if there's no eruv, the Sefer Torah can't be carried outdoors.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 10:39 am
keym wrote:
What complicates things even more is that the first day of RH is Shabbos. So if there's no eruv, the Sefer Torah can't be carried outdoors.

When shuls in NY were closed, DH minyan didn't have a sefer torah in all those months. It's a big sheila to use a sefer torah outdoors and to remove a sefer torah from it's permanent place.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 10:43 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
When shuls in NY were closed, DH minyan didn't have a sefer torah in all those months. It's a big sheila to use a sefer torah outdoors.
Why so?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 10:50 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Why so?

I will clarify with DH the details.
There's also an issue with removing a sefer torah from it's permanent place. It needs to be used a certain amount of time to make it ok. When the shuls started closing DH right away said that it's an issue to remove a sefer torah from shuls. I'll clarify with him later ih.

mha3484

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 10:51 am
My shul is having 3 minyanim one in the main shul, one in the social hall upstairs and one outside in a tent. Women are welcome but there is no childcare this year as they need the space for social distancing.

The shul that DH davens at each year is having a vasikin minyan at the local elementary school and a main minyan at their kollel building.

Chabad is blowing shofar outside on street corners.

I have always paid for the shul childcare and gone to daven on the yomim noraim this will be a strange year for me. My oldest is 10 and I cant remember the last time I did not go to shul for Rosh Hashana. We dont use the eruv so yom kippur I have been home the years I didnt have a walking kid. But rosh hashana without shul will be weird.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:00 am
Elfrida wrote:

As a guess, they're borrowing from the local schools. Between those, and what the shul has, there should be plenty. Don't know what they're going for an aron, though. And the mechitza should be interesting.

I haven't davened in shul since before Purim, so I'm really looking forward to this. Even if it is a tent in someone's backyard, not a shul.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:00 am
Elfrida wrote:

We will be transferring the Sefarim before Shabbat. For RH we will be having two Netz minyanim in people’s backyards (one of them is mine).
One minyan in the shul and one minyan in a private home. People will have have to sign up in advance and there will be SD.
There is a lot of work involved, I’m on the Beit Knesset committee and it has been nuts. Let’s hope everything runs smoothly.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:11 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
There's also an issue with removing a sefer torah from it's permanent place. It needs to be used a certain amount of time to make it ok. When the shuls started closing DH right away said that it's an issue to remove a sefer torah from shuls. I'll clarify with him later ih.

Why is this an issue? We lend sfrei Torah to shiva houses all the time.

We're doing lots of outdoor minyanim, in our shul courtyard plus in private homes (some people have spacious mirpessot), plus at a local school. Small indoor minyanim in shul as allowed.

Additional shofar blowing outdoors where many people can hear.

Mask-wearing is strictly enforced by bouncers/ushers assigned to each minyan. Kids too young to wear masks are restricted to specific minyanim where it is known ahead of time that they will be present.

Davening itself will be pared down to the essentials.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:19 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:

Also ask if an covered space without walls counts as outside, and if the shul's courtyard counts as outside the shul because that's what I know some shuls are doing.

simcha2

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:27 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Just curious

Our shul is having numerous smaller, shorter minyanim, some indoors at shul, some outdoors and shul, some at people's houses. It should be "interesting."

Exactly the same. The ones at houses are outdoors (so I guess, technically, back yards).

Davening is limited to 3.5 hours. Masks and 6 feet required in all minyanim.

No child care, but timing of minyanim staggered to allow parental switch off. (DH got the 6am slot).

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:32 am
I agree that in many places, it's having enough people who are able to be chazzan for Rosh Hashanah that is an issue.

Shuls by me are putting up large tents in parking lots and having a choice between indoor and outdoor minyan, with sign up. They are having extra shofar blowings for women and children as usual, but requiring sign up for those as well. Nobody can come to shul just for shofar.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:52 am
2 minyanim in 2 different locations, indoors. Men/older children must register to validate there is room for them and get a seat. (due to SD)

Women don't have to register since there aren't that many who would go, but younger children who cannot sit/do not sit and daven are not allowed (nor have been since COVID reopening).

Masks and SD are required.

There are 2 times when others may come, but must supervise children, wear masks, SD, etc. outdoors to hear tekios on Sunday.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:58 am
Our shul in Westchester is having it people backyards they are charging over 200 dollars above the two thousand dollar a year membership if you bring a guest the Chabad is having tents and its free Chabad would have a nice break the fast meal if not for corona

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 12:11 pm
Shuls in my neighborhood are all proceeding as normal. No outside minyanim, no extra minyanim, no sd or masks required. Sad We do not have antibodies, and I am very nervous . . . Surprised
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur