Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What could be bad about a water bottle?
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 5:55 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I know plenty of babies still nursing at that age, so why not a bottle?

Do you know of any toddlers who walk around all day with their mother's nipple in their mouth, or nursing around the clock still?

Besides, mother's milk is nutritious, filling, and has all kinds of good stuff in it. Children and mothers are designed for nursing, even long term.

Water bottles, not so much.

ChanieMommy

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 5:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all your responses.

Her speech is very age appropriate I think. She express herself beautifully, kah, although she's a bit hard for others to understand, but she's so little. I don't think the bottle has had an effect.

FF, you're scaring about water toxicity! How do I know if she's drinking too much?? Has anyone had this actually happen to their child?

And she can and does drink from a straw or regular cup, she just doesn't like them and will nag constantly for her bottle.

Please! No! Stop it... water is not toxic, there is no harm in the quantities you describe...

When a marathon runner is completely dehydrated, and then swamps his body with water that does not contain proper electrolytes, he might fall into shock... then he has to get an infusion with electrolytes, and like a miracle he raises from the death...

That's nothing that happens if a 2-year-old drinks a few babybottles of water a day....

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 5:58 pm
It's not good for her teeth at that age but that's about it. My 2 year old just stopped his bottle with water a few months ago and that was the only reason. The pediatrician didn't have any other issue with it

ChanieMommy

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 6:01 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Do you know of any toddlers who walk around all day with their mother's nipple in their mouth, or nursing around the clock still?

Besides, mother's milk is nutritious, filling, and has all kinds of good stuff in it. Children and mothers are designed for nursing, even long term.

Water bottles, not so much.

What's wrong with water bottles? Drinking water is an elementary need! There are children who are more thirsty, others less. It's better to be more thirsty, it protects the kidneys, it protects against hypertension, it protects against varicosis... don't restrict a thirsty child from drinking water!!!

This mother is doing everything right, she is giving water and not sugary drinks. That's what's important... And of course it's better to give water then milk all the time, since the child should start eating...

I understand the issue with the muscle and speech development. But there is no harm whatsoever in drinking water, as such.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 6:37 pm
Just to make the op feel better...
My daugter is 3.5 and has bottles of water at night.
She is fully trained by day since before 3 years old bh.
The only reason she isn't trained at night is because I told her she needs to throw out her bottle if she wants underwear at night.
She stays dry many nights even with multiple bottles but other nights gets soaked.
She also spoke really early and clearly before 2 years old. At that point she had bottles by day as well and it didnt affect her speech at all bh. Tho we did have specific times for it, not all day long.
I know its time to drop the bottle but I have my reasons for allowing her this comfort and have no real concerns about it other than dealing with her sleep habits after we drop it.

I did my research on water intoxication and it seems it would take a lot more than a few bottles for it to be unsafe.

ChanieMommy

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 6:43 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Just to make the op feel better...
My daugter is 3.5 and has bottles of water at night.
She is fully trained by day since before 3 years old bh.
The only reason she isn't trained at night is because I told her she needs to throw out her bottle if she wants underwear at night.
She stays dry many nights even with multiple bottles but other nights gets soaked.
She also spoke really early and clearly before 2 years old. At that point she had bottles by day as well and it didnt affect her speech at all bh. Tho we did have specific times for it, not all day long.
I know its time to drop the bottle but I have my reasons for allowing her this comfort and have no real concerns about it other than dealing with her sleep habits after we drop it.

I did my research on water intoxication and it seems it would take a lot more than a few bottles for it to be unsafe.

Thank you

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:28 pm
I wouldn’t go cold turkey at this age.
I like the idea of a special soppy that gets offered first.
I’m hoping to take a more gradual approach after succos iyH

ggdm

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:29 pm
My 2.5 year old wants to drink from a real glass (just like he wants a fork and whatever food we are having, not baby stuff). Maybe, if you really want to get rid of the bottle, you can spin it like "you are big now, big children and adults drink from glasses and at the table"? But honestly... if it's only water... I wouldn't do anything...

As for speech: There is a huge range of normal. It will all come with the time. I have a small waterfall talking all day long. His cousin, who is just a bit younger, only points and says about 20 words. But her big sister was the same and then suddenly she talked whole sentences. Ask a doctor if you are concerned, but probably you should not be.

teachkids

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:35 pm
I think there's 2 issues here.
1) using a baby bottle still
2) how much water is being drunken.

I have 2 or 3 straw cups positioned around the house to encourage my kid to drink water, but a straw cup allows for more sipping, while a bottle encourages chugging. Overall though, I don't think this is the biggest deal. I think the shape of the baby bottle is a bigger problem. Could you take her to the store to pick up a "big girl cup" of some form?

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 8:06 pm
I wish! I can’t get my kid to drink enough now that she’s out of the habit of bottles (15 months) sippy cups/ straw cups do not encourage enough drinking imo it’s very hard to get her to drink.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 8:11 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I wish! I can’t get my kid to drink enough now that she’s out of the habit of bottles (15 months) sippy cups/ straw cups do not encourage enough drinking imo it’s very hard to get her to drink.

Is it the cup she's protesting, the holding out for a bottle, or is it that the water doesn't taste right?

Does she like milk or almond milk? Can you give just a touch of juice to flavor the water? Tell her you're giving her the "special yummy water"!

My sister had to give her boys chocolate milk, because that was the only thing they would drink. She slowly started diluting it with fortified rice milk until they were old enough to get curious about other flavors. Both of her kids are special needs, so sometimes you have to pick and choose your battles.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 8:35 pm
As a mother whose kids barely used bottles and not one who pushes them at all, I don't think there's much wrong with OP's situation.
Keep offering cups but it's not such a huge concern right now, eventually she'll go for them. I liked the 360 cups when they came out, I used straw cups before that... But there's no rush when the toddler is keeping hydrated.
And suffice it to say, I don't think there's any point in scaring OP and thinking her daughter is drinking too much water. I'd only be concerned if she wasn't gaining weight because she was filling up on water. If not, this is an enviable "problem" to have. She's actually in a fairly good situation. Most mothers would bend over backwards to get their kids to drink water.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics