Home

What is the price of full tuition, and where do you live?
Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


watergirl




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:50 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Monsey, chassidish school, $400. First and second grade. It's way more worth than paying insane rent in the city.

What kind of education do you get for $400/month? You generally get what you pay for. Is there a gym? Teachers with degrees? Trained rabbeim? Administration who have advanced education and credentials? School social worker? Full general studies program? You can not compare a chassidish mosad education with some of these other schools on this thread. Yes, what is important to you is not the same as what is important to others, and thats ok...but this just shows why these tuition comparison threads are not helpful.

You have to compare apples to apples. For what its worth, I paid Monsey tuition at ASHAR, Ateres (high school), YSV, and Beis Hachinuch and trust me, they were all a bloody fortune. And the tuition assistance people at ASHAR and Beis Hachinuch were not nice to deal with at ALL. ASHAR actually asked my husband why we would send our child to a "Cadillac school if we can only afford a used Kia".
Back to top

amother




Smokey
 

Post  Tue, Sep 15 2020, 9:57 am
NY area. 2 high school kids: 60K+
Back to top

amother




Pearl
 

Post  Tue, Sep 15 2020, 10:03 am
Five towns.
16,000 elementary school aged boys
13,000 aged girl

Both prices include building fee and dinner
Back to top

amother




Cerise
 

Post  Tue, Sep 15 2020, 10:07 am
We live in the midwest. Elementary school is around $16k, high school is $19K

We can only afford it without crying about it because we, BH, are wealthy. But because we live in such a small community, the school is still struggling. Fewer kids means less tuition money coming in. The quality of education is average at best and there aren't so many frills. Getting a water bottle filler was considered exciting.

The cost of tuition makes me sick to my stomach for my kids. We can afford it because my husband ended up in a very lucrative field but the financial overall pressure on people is disgusting. How can it not affect one's yiddeshkeit?
Back to top

snooper86




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:17 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Elementary 17,500 (plus $2000 bus)
Middle school 18,500 (plus 2000 bus)
High school 27,000 (plus $3600 bus)


So, a lot. (Over $70,000).
No financial aid or discounts.

New jersey


Wow do you have to rob a bank every year? 😝
Back to top

snooper86




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:21 pm
For those that can afford these insane prices, I’m happy for you!! Wouldn’t mind being able to afford these prices by then it would mean I can afford other stuff too (like vacation)
Back to top

amother




Tan
 

Post  Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:29 pm
snooper86 wrote:
For those that can afford these insane prices, I’m happy for you!! Wouldn’t mind being able to afford these prices by then it would mean I can afford other stuff too (like vacation)


There are (I think many) people who fall in the gray zone: too poor, or have too much savings for a scholarship, but not rich enough not to feel the bite of a day school tuition.

These are the people not taking any vacations--or maybe a day trip to a low cost historical site or state park.
Back to top

amother




Ruby
 

Post  Tue, Sep 15 2020, 5:30 pm
snooper86 wrote:
Wow do you have to rob a bank every year? 😝


No, but DH jokes he could buy a luxury car every year and just throw it away.

(As it is, he drives a 10 year old very middle range car, that he bought used).

It means we don't spend in other areas. I've never spent more that $30 for a piece of clothing for my kids (other than winter coats), and normally much, much less. My average piece of clothing is $25.

On the other thread, I wrote, I'm ok that 2 out of 3 of our biggest budget line items are my kids' jewish education and maaser (mortgage is the other).
Back to top

Ema of 4




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Sep 15 2020, 7:58 pm
snooper86 wrote:
Wow do you have to rob a bank every year? 😝

There was a bank robbery in Lawrence/cedarhurst today, maybe amother ruby was the culprit! LOL LOL
Back to top

ectomorph




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:04 pm
watergirl wrote:
What kind of education do you get for $400/month? You generally get what you pay for. Is there a gym? Teachers with degrees? Trained rabbeim? Administration who have advanced education and credentials? School social worker? Full general studies program? You can not compare a chassidish mosad education with some of these other schools on this thread. Yes, what is important to you is not the same as what is important to others, and thats ok...but this just shows why these tuition comparison threads are not helpful.

You have to compare apples to apples. For what its worth, I paid Monsey tuition at ASHAR, Ateres (high school), YSV, and Beis Hachinuch and trust me, they were all a bloody fortune. And the tuition assistance people at ASHAR and Beis Hachinuch were not nice to deal with at ALL. ASHAR actually asked my husband why we would send our child to a "Cadillac school if we can only afford a used Kia".

Personally I'd rather pay 3k tuition for bare bones and supplement with tutoring. It would still come out cheaper than out of town tuition.
Back to top

snooper86




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:36 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
No, but DH jokes he could buy a luxury car every year and just throw it away.

(As it is, he drives a 10 year old very middle range car, that he bought used).

It means we don't spend in other areas. I've never spent more that $30 for a piece of clothing for my kids (other than winter coats), and normally much, much less. My average piece of clothing is $25.

On the other thread, I wrote, I'm ok that 2 out of 3 of our biggest budget line items are my kids' jewish education and maaser (mortgage is the other).


Wow I salute you!! Thought for sure you were extremely comfortable (aka rich). Dunno if I’d be able to be as good as you. I like to spend on stuff even though don’t really have much. (But also not paying tuition yet..)
Back to top

snooper86




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:37 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
There was a bank robbery in Lawrence/cedarhurst today, maybe amother ruby was the culprit! LOL LOL


🤣😂😆😝
Dunno if it be worth sitting in jail for though..
Back to top

Ruchel




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Sep 16 2020, 9:17 am
Where ? which ? I've seen 150 to 500 dollars depending on chol, not, private, official.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3 Recent Topics

Page 3 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
[ Poll ] Poll: Do you work full time? PT? Stay home? Unemployed?.....
by amother
36 Today at 10:14 am View last post
Childcare for full time working mom's?
by honey36
22 Yesterday at 9:22 pm View last post
S/O What is your TOTAL tuition bill?
by amother
58 Wed, Sep 16 2020, 5:13 am View last post
Why do people say tuition is expensive?
by amother
58 Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:10 pm View last post
Hey Israelis which neighborhood do you live in?
by amother
81 Sun, Sep 13 2020, 5:36 pm View last post