Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Neighbors complaining - vent
Previous  1  2  3  Next

meme6

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:11 pm
I think it’s time to move!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
At their request we only allow wheels in the play area. It's really just feet. Socks and crocs I will try.

Keep in mind that socks don't help. You need crocs or shoes.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:16 pm
My upstairs neighbors have keneinahora a big family but we're used to the noise. We have people under us too and everyone tries to tolerate each other.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:17 pm
If they are public school teachers they should be busy at 8 a.m. setting up for school already no?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:19 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
If they are public school teachers they should be busy at 8 a.m. setting up for school already no?

Because of COVID they start next Monday.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:24 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Yes, but isn’t that the price you pay for living in an apartment?

I lived in a basement under a family with kids for many years. You know what you’re getting into.

You don’t when the family keeps reproducing during their tenancy.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:35 pm
According to NYC Quiet Hours specified in Local Law 113, neighbors in all five boroughs are bound to quiet hours from 10 pm until 7 am. This also includes having pets making loud noises longer than five minutes at a time.

I did a search on noise complaints in ny, please note the bolded. Your neighbors are harassing you and you have your rights as a tenant.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:46 pm
We lived in an apartment and the unit next door felt every movement we made. The wooden planks were very long, going across both units.

My son was 16 months learning how to walk so his footsteps were heavier and he did fall frequently. They would bang on the wall. They called the police on us early Shabbos morning. The police saw that it was normal walking of a toddler in soft shoes. There was nothing more we could do.

If the flooring isn’t installed properly, then even a tiptoe can sound loud and cause the floor/ceiling to vibrate.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 12:39 am
So annoying. Our downstairs neighbors also complained a lot in the beginning and I wasn’t sure what they wanted us to do. We started wearing slippers and then they had a baby and stopped comparing ( and then their baby would wake me up at night but I never said anything). I

southernbubby

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 1:00 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
You don’t when the family keeps reproducing during their tenancy.

Elderly people with walkers are also noisy and if they are hard of hearing, they talk loudly and play the television loudly.
In most multi family homes, it's not unusual to hear voices, footsteps, toilets, etc and unless people are hosting parties or playing loud music, they are not doing anything wrong.

ChanieMommy

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 3:56 am
switch flats with them?

stomping feet overhead are horrible...

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 4:20 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Yes, but isn’t that the price you pay for living in an apartment?

I lived in a basement under a family with kids for many years. You know what you’re getting into.

We hear our downstairs neighbors' kids zooming on riding toys at....get this....11pm, 12am, 1am...

We never say anything because we probably make just as much noise as they do, so we figure, we'll ignore them, they ignore us.

We also ignore it when they slam the door, throw or drop what seems like metal, and yell at their kids so loud it's like they're yelling in our house, and we ignore it when their kids shriek and scream bloody murder. We thought that went both ways, and it usually does, but apparently one time last week they got fed up, because they called the police. Not impressed. Next time we hear them yelling and screaming at their kids, or spanking, I might just call the police on them.

watergirl

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:08 am
Are the downstairs renters or do they own? (I'm not sure what their orientation has to do with anything, by the way - it would have been enough to say a couple with no children who are teachers, etc.)... This is generally apartment life. If you are renting a co-op condo sort of thing from the owner and the downstairs people are also owners, I can see why they would be mad. They did not sign up to live under small kids. Still, whenever someone lives in a complex with more than one home and someone above them, this is a possibility.

I hate to say it, but with so many young kids, I would recommend finding an apartment on the bottom floor. This is for your OWN stress level. I've been in your situation before and I know how stressful it is when the kids are just being kids. My landlord was my downstairs neighbor so it was even MORE stressful. I got calls, knocks, everything. For the year we lived there it was constant stress. I was also the childless couple living under a family with a 2 year old and to this day I am ashamed at how my ex-husband and I behaved toward them. I just did not get it.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 11:58 am
First what has the zxual orientation to do with the fact they are complaining?
Secondly, if you indeed live in an old NY house it's kinda noisy and some people are not used to the sound of children or want to have a break from children after they worked with them for a long time lol Laugh
Anyhoo, I understand the stress I know a shlucha with 6 children where few are having ADHD and she gets lots of complaints and is looking now for a big house.

But yeah go to the landlord,

Tzadakes91

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 1:25 pm
Ignore them. This is apartment living. They can move apartments or move to a house. It is extremely inappropriate that they are texting you to be quiet.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 3:41 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
According to NYC Quiet Hours specified in Local Law 113, neighbors in all five boroughs are bound to quiet hours from 10 pm until 7 am. This also includes having pets making loud noises longer than five minutes at a time.

I did a search on noise complaints in ny, please note the bolded. Your neighbors are harassing you and you have your rights as a tenant.

THIS. You need to print out the noise ordinances of the city you live in, and post it on your front door, as well as slipping a copy under their front door.

It's on them to get a noise volume meter, to see if you are violating the upper limit of what is allowed in a residential area. I'm willing to bet that you are safely within the normal range, even if it is audible downstairs.

Hell is other people ~ Sartre

cookiewriter

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 4:44 pm
I don’t know the solution I just wanted to validate you.
I lived over another apt for 7 years. It was torture. I have five kids. There was zero insulation between floors. It was a nightmare. My kids knew never to jump run or jump off things.
On shabbos I had to keep them in one room of the house.
Ugh. There was nothing to do. I tried my best but ultimately it led to machlokes. I ended up moving.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 4:54 pm
If your kids are up getting ready for school, shouldn't the teachers also be up getting ready for school??? Why are they sleeping in? Confused

Fave

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 10:51 pm
I think that your neighbors’ complaints stems from them being cooped up at home far too long.

You probably will hear significantly less from them next week, when Public School reopens.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 17 2020, 8:37 am
No, nothing you can do. You have carpeting, shoes off. Dont encourage intentional jumping. But block their number so you dont get texts. Their luck they are under children. Better suited to the hard of hearing or a noisy household.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics