Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Mikvah before Yom Kippur
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 9:36 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
You can go during 7 clean days not sure about when there’s the actual blood flowing. It’s very different you don’t even need to take off your jewelry.

Also I wonder how it will be this year because of corona, a bunch of ladies waiting together, no time for sanitization between rooms and all the chlorine in the world won’t help. The Mikva gets gross.
as far as I know it’s not allowed while niddah as they didn’t want women to make a mistake and touch her husband while not her pure.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 10:05 am
Nah, and the chassid relatives I asked say no afatn

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 10:51 am
Um...why?

Anyone?

Asking out of genuine curiosity, and also some frustration that nobody understands anything, myself included.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:54 pm
Just wondering- I need to go to the mikva shortly after R"H anyway... so I don't go again before Y"K right?!

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 12:57 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Just wondering- I need to go to the mikva shortly after R"H anyway... so I don't go again before Y"K right?!

Erev Yom kippur mikvah is supposed to be literally erev yom kippur, from after shekiya the night before. Many women don't shower after mikva till after yom kippur.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:05 pm
I go because it's a minhag, and my mother goes as well.
It feels right to go into Yom Kippur pure.

I used to go the night before so that I have clean water, but if it's not possible or I'm busy or whatever I just go in the dirty water and take a shower right when I get home.

It's a million times easier than regular mikvah because you don't have to prepare at all, and also there is nobody in the room with you.

I wonder what they're going to do about corona this year... but I'm probably going to be on my period this year anyway so I won't be going.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:05 pm
Oops. Was hoping.

Maybe I'm not yet on the level of appreciating it enough. Its just not so simple with little kiddies n all....

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:06 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Um...why?

Anyone?

Asking out of genuine curiosity, and also some frustration that nobody understands anything, myself included.

It adds tahara and kedusha.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:15 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
as far as I know it’s not allowed while niddah as they didn’t want women to make a mistake and touch her husband while not her pure.

It is allowed.
"They" in your community seem to trust and think very highly of women.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:23 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
It is allowed.

Many people hold that you shouldn't go to mikva when nidda. You need to ask for yourself, everyone holds differently.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:29 pm
Do I go if im pregnant?

lilies

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 1:58 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
It is allowed.

No reason to twist everything into indignant feminist-like issues. Some (all?) say not to go when nidda. Why would someone want to go, when there's no need to, is beyond me.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:00 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Do I go if im pregnant?

AFAIK, yes.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:02 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
It is allowed.

No need to attack just Putting it out there because I have heard it from multiple sources and want people to be aware to ask that’s all

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:06 pm
lilies wrote:
No reason to twist everything into indignant feminist-like issues. Some (all?) say not to go when nidda. Why would someone want to go, when there's no need to, is beyond me.

This is an interesting way of looking at it. No woman "needs" to go. This is not halacha, its a minhag. Women who go, go because they want to, because they want the extra purity, not because they must.

So I could understand why they would be disappointed by being told not to go.

lilies

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 2:22 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
This is an interesting way of looking at it. No woman "needs" to go. This is not halacha, its a minhag. Women who go, go because they want to, because they want the extra purity, not because they must.

So I could understand why they would be disappointed by being told not to go.

So you twisted my intent by nitpicking my selection of words.
I'll rephrase.
Being that the minhag is to go, but not when one is niddah, why would someone choose to dip because it may (or may not) be 'allowed', was the question. Holier than thou, kind of.

Would definitely understand the disappointment of an ill-timed niddah, who doesn't Smile?
(On the flip side, many are relieved to find themselves niddah as they find it hard to do, yet do it anyway.)

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 3:24 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
You only go if you are not nidda.

If youre actively bleeding you dont go. If youre counting you can go.

amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Same here. Wouldn’t be possible in my community as they turn the women’s mik over to the men erev YK.And then it has to be drained, cleaned, refilled and rebrominated before women can use it again in the usual way.

Haha in my community the opposite happens -- its very hard for the few womens mikvaos to accommodate all the women going, to they open the mens mikvahs, of which there are over 100, for the women the night before yom kippur and the morning of Very Happy

Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
I’d like to go this year but I’m scared of icky water

You dip once. No bracha. In an out.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 3:53 pm
I went the first year married. Didn’t go last year and I might be nidda this year so xD

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 3:58 pm
My mother had this minhag but my DH does not so I don't go. I take an extra long shower to satisfy the part of me that feels maybe I should do this (my father suggested this compromise.)

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 3:59 pm
This is so weird for me. Things like this can drive a BT up a wall!

When I was becoming frum, my very yeshivish rabbi taught me that only men dip erev YK. Women dip for TH, and men dip for other reasons. Zehu. He never mentioned even a hint of a minhag that women go before YK.

On the other hand, he was very makpid that women had to fast every single fast, unless it was a matter of life and death, so you'd have to take it up with a big rav.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics