Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
Math and logic riddle thread
  Previous  1  2  3 44  45  46 67  68  69  Next

Tamari

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:00 pm
malki2 wrote:
In Binary, 10 means 2. One two and no ones.

I haven't started lesson 1 yet.....we're still up to the introduction.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:22 pm
Tamari wrote:
I was going to ask at which university she's a math professor...

Malki2 teaches there as well...

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:22 pm
Got another one? I’m done cooking Very Happy

Tamari

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:55 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Got another one? I’m done cooking Very Happy

2 friends decide to play a game. They arrange 50 coins in a line on the table, with various nominations. Then, alternating, each player takes on their turn one of the two coins at the ends of the line and keeps it. They continue doing this, until after the 50th move all coins are taken. Prove that whoever starts first can always collect coins with at least as much value as their opponent.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:56 pm
Tamari wrote:
2 friends decide to play a game. They arrange 50 coins in a line on the table, with various nominations. Then, alternating, each player takes on their turn one of the two coins at the ends of the line and keeps it. They continue doing this, until after the 50th move all coins are taken. Prove that whoever starts first can always collect coins with at least as much value as their opponent.

Coins again. I said they’re rusty Punch

Tamari

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:59 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Coins again. I said they’re rusty Punch

Brains but not Coins

SisterSix

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 11:00 pm
Tamari wrote:

Always collect coins with at least as much value on every turn, or cumulatively?

Either way the answer seems to be too simple to me, they go first so they set the strategy before their first turn

Tamari

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 11:03 pm
SisterSix wrote:
Always collect coins with at least as much value on every turn, or cumulatively?

Either way the answer seems to be too simple to me, they go first so they set the strategy before their first turn

Obviously cumulatively. But first player can't tell which coins 2nd player will choose. So, how is it too simple?
Not that it's very difficult, but lemme hear the strategy....

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 11:03 pm
Tamari wrote:

Hidden: 

Since 50 is an even number, it can’t be a pattern of more, less, more less etc. so he’ll always have an option of taking the coin with more or equal value first.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 11:04 pm
SisterSix wrote:

Hide your answers please.

Tamari

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 11:06 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
Hidden: 

Since 50 is an even number, it can’t be a pattern of more, less, more less etc. so he’ll always have an option of taking the coin with more or equal value first.

I don't understand your answer.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 11:08 pm
Tamari wrote:
I don't understand your answer.

I have it set up in my brain but hard to explain. But if you don’t understand it then it must be off track. Let me try something clearer.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 11:12 pm
Tamari wrote:

Hidden: 

It’s all about not exposing the higher denominator coins to the opponent? Looking at the highest values of the first 2 coins on each side instead of only the first

Are you expecting an answer in an equation?
t

Tamari

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 11:18 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Hidden: 

It’s all about not exposing the higher denominator coins to the opponent? Looking at the highest values of the first 2 coins on each side instead of only the first

Are you expecting an answer in an equation?
t

Might or might not work. You might have to choose between two pennies, exposing a quarter. There's a more definite strategy that will work.

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 11:45 pm
Tamari wrote:
Might or might not work. You might have to choose between two pennies, exposing a quarter. There's a more definite strategy that will work.

I need to recharge my brain before I do this one. Anything a drop easier? Preferably without coins?

Tamari

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:21 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
I need to recharge my brain before I do this one. Anything a drop easier? Preferably without coins?

How can you take 1 from 19 to get 20?

ChanieMommy

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:43 am
Tamari wrote:
How can you take 1 from 19 to get 20?

In
Hidden: 

roman numbers...

XIX is 19 - take I out - you have XX - is 20

Tamari

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 8:53 am
ChanieMommy wrote:
In
Hidden: 

roman numbers...

XIX is 19 - take I out - you have XX - is 20

Very Happy
Now try the 50 coins riddle

Tamari

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 11:57 am
ExtraCredit wrote:

Fully charged. Now what?

ExtraCredit

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 1:51 pm
Tamari wrote:
Fully charged. Now what?

Ready for the answer or at least a hint.
Page 45 of 69   Previous  1  2  3 44  45  46 67  68  69  Next Recent Topics