Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
103.8 in a 9 month old-update
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 7:19 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I know my kids have a virus when they have very high fever. But I find it scary every time.

I know some drs have this theory. My Dr usually does too. But I proved him wrong more than once. Cuz I know my kids and when my kids have high fever they always have some kind of infection. If the Dr doesn't see it the first day he sees it the 2nd or the 3rd

gold21

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 7:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know some drs have this theory. My Dr usually does too. But I proved him wrong more than once. Cuz I know my kids and when my kids have high fever they always have some kind of infection. If the Dr doesn't see it the first day he sees it the 2nd or the 3rd

Agreed

(Except flu)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 7:21 pm
gold21 wrote:
Not a fan of this approach cuz it almost missed catching my baby daughter's UTI. A baby shouldn't suffer with a UTI for a week. Catheterizing isn't a big deal and is done in office and takes a minute.

Do I think OP's baby has a UTI? No. I think he has an ear infection.

Anyway, I was persistent about telling the doc that this was more than a virus, and I was right.

Her fever was approx 104.

My pediatrician is much more vigilant about testing for UTIs now in his practice since he saw how easily my daughter's infection could have been missed. I'm glad I could contribute to the greater good. Lol.

He's pulling his ears like crazy. If it's not a double ear infection yet it will be Tom or by Friday for sure.
ETA and biting everything he can get his teeth on. My clothing, my nipples when I'm nursing, everything I hold in my hands, his own lips. Poor kid. He's sooo miserable

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 7:22 pm
A few of my children's fevers would go that high. The numbers don't bother me as much as behavior does: for example discomfort, lethargic for long periods, not hydrating. It's important to monitor for dehydration during high fevers and long fevers even if low. By the way febrile seizures are not related to how high the fever goes as much as how fast it rises. Refuah shlaima to your LO! Let us know what the doctor says!

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 7:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He's very sleepy when his fever is up and very cranky when fever is down. Dr didn't see anything today. I hope Tom he will. "Viral" diagnosis I hate. I think I'm taking the trip tom. I'm so nervous that my head is shooting.

I'm so sorry, I know how that feels. I've totally been the mom counting respirations and calling the hot line at 2am.

I think what they mean by this is "so sleepy they won't wake up and can't even eat" or "so upset they won't stop screaming." Crankiness definitely sounds like he might be coming down with an ear infection from your previous reply about the fluid, which my 2nd baby used to get all the time from viruses. Like probably she's had 4 or 5 double ear infections, and she's only 18m. Very common in this age, unfortunately. Interesting to see the response of someone else above, my kids have had fevers this high from viruses more than once.

It's so frustrating when there's nothing to do but wait. But again, you're the mom. Don't feel bad for pestering the doctors, the only way moms learn what's normal and what's dangerous is by asking. Just if you're calling in the middle of the night, it's nice to say "sorry if I woke you, I'll be fast."

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 7:26 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
A few of my children's fevers would go that high. The numbers don't bother me as much as behavior does: for example discomfort, lethargic for long periods, not hydrating. It's important to monitor for dehydration during high fevers and long fevers even if low. By the way febrile seizures are not related to how high the fever goes as much as how fast it rises. Refuah shlaima to your LO! Let us know what the doctor says!

Bh that's one thing. He's still nursing. In fact he's nursing sessions are much longer than usual. He usually nurses for no more than 3-4 min now he's a good 6-7 min constantly sucking.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 7:33 pm
Is it too late to go to the doctor now? I had once when I took my baby in the morning her ear was clear and night she was screaming and pulling ear, I went back to doctor then and it was a full blown ear infection

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 7:35 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
A few of my children's fevers would go that high. The numbers don't bother me as much as behavior does: for example discomfort, lethargic for long periods, not hydrating.

I second this. One of my kids would have a temp of 104 and be dancing and doing cartwheels. Another kid looks sick enough to need immediate attention as soon as the thermometer reads 99.9. You have to know your child.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 7:41 pm
gold21 wrote:
Not a fan of this approach cuz it almost missed catching my baby daughter's UTI. A baby shouldn't suffer with a UTI for a week. Catheterizing isn't a big deal and is done in office and takes a minute.

Do I think OP's baby has a UTI? No. I think he has an ear infection.

Anyway, I was persistent about telling the doc that this was more than a virus, and I was right.

Her fever was approx 104.

My pediatrician is much more vigilant about testing for UTIs now in his practice since he saw how easily my daughter's infection could have been missed. I'm glad I could contribute to the greater good. Lol.

Ear infections are often viral.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 7:42 pm
I would ask for a CBC to see the trend if it seems more viral/bacterial (not foolproof but often pretty helpful)
Refuah sheleima

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 7:55 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I would ask for a CBC to see the trend if it seems more viral/bacterial (not foolproof but often pretty helpful)
Refuah sheleima

A CBC on a 9mo with a fever? Why?

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 8:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My baby had 102.4 this morning. Very sleepy. A little better after I give him Tylenol. It's 4 hrs later I just gave him more but it's now 103.8. I went to the Dr today and she told me if it's not better till Friday to come back. Am I crazy if I go back tom? To me 103.8 for such an age is so high. I'm petrified.
I know some secretaries and some drs give attitude if you don't follow exactly what you were told. I wouldn't think twice if I wouldn't be scared of the attitude.

Usually such high fevers is viral not bacteria some of my kids just run high fevers. One of my kids always hit 105. I would not be concerned but you need to keep alternating between Motrin and Tylenol.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 8:27 pm
Viruses tend to cause high fevers. Ear infections can as well. Like another poster said it's his behavior you need to worry about (lethargic, not alert, not hydrated) more than the actual number. 103.8 is very reasonable for a viral infection or an ear infection.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 8:55 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:

Mom seems very concerned here...
My pediatrician does the finger stick fairly often in these kind of situations.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 8:59 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:

I'm actually a big fan of a cbc. All it takes is a tiny finger prick and often gives so much info. One of my kids were spared from the hospital from a silent pneumonia cuz of the cbc. Dr told me if it's viral or bacterial forgot which one he's sending me in. Bh cbc showed it was the other one.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 9:05 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Mom seems very concerned here...
My pediatrician does the finger stick fairly often in these kind of situations.

Huh, I'd never heard of the finger stick CBC before. I don't think they have it by our office yet, I thought you were suggesting they do the whole shebang with the elbow. Thanks for teaching me something new!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 9:16 pm
Now on Tylenol/Motrin he's a different kid. Still biting away but acting as if he never had fever. You would never believe he's not feeling well. Davening he should stay this way. He slept so much today and now has no intentions of calling it a night. I love his mood now.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 9:19 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Huh, I'd never heard of the finger stick CBC before. I don't think they have it by our office yet, I thought you were suggesting they do the whole shebang with the elbow. Thanks for teaching me something new!

Yes. Finger stick a drop of blood and they put it into some sort of machine. Results in 2 min.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 9:46 pm
OP, my son had a similar fever when he was 8 months old. The doctor told me that as long as the fever was responding to meds, the most important thing was to keep him hydrated and keep the fever down. He wasn't too concerned about the level of fever itself, since he said that kids sometimes go pretty high.

It turned out to be a nasty adenovirus that took my son about a week to get over.

If it doesn't get better by Friday, your pediatrician will probably test to check which specific virus it is.

That being said, if you're really nervous, definitely bring him in again.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 16 2020, 10:10 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
OP, my son had a similar fever when he was 8 months old. The doctor told me that as long as the fever was responding to meds, the most important thing was to keep him hydrated and keep the fever down. He wasn't too concerned about the level of fever itself, since he said that kids sometimes go pretty high.

It turned out to be a nasty adenovirus that took my son about a week to get over.

If it doesn't get better by Friday, your pediatrician will probably test to check which specific virus it is.

That being said, if you're really nervous, definitely bring him in again.

My Dr wants to see him tomorrow unless he wakes up fever free without the help of Tylenol/Motrin. My gut feeling is that he won't. He's pulling on his ears nonstop. I won't be surprised if the fluid will turn into an ear infection.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics