Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What do you read/learn on Rosh HaShana?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 3:51 am
Just wandering what other people read or learn on Rosh HaShana (in a non-children situation). Normally we have a long davening, and then lunch, then Mincha, and there isn't too much time for any serious reading or learning.

This year the davening is going to have to be a lot quicker, and even with a third meal there is going to be a lot more spare time than normal. Rosh HaShana isn't really the time for frivolous reading, and I've got a few sefarim lined up (depending on how I feel), but I wondered what other people did. I'm really not sure what I'll pick if I need some lighter reading.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 7:48 am
I'll try to read material of redeeming social value. Lots of good content in the magazines. I also have some YI and OU Tishrei magazines from last year.
I can't say I won't read the serials and anything else in the magazines though Wink

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:14 am
Sometimes I just like to open a chumash and read the Kriah of the day with Rashi. or the HafTorah. Like review the Parsha of the Akeida, or the HafTorah in Yeshaya, and remind myself of one of my favorite high school teachers and what she said....

My DD's Artscroll Machzorim are super-helpful in this regard, too. There's alot of interesting content to read.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 8:18 am
I find biographies are a good combination of inspirational and light for RH.

Also read the frum magazines

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 9:26 am
I just came back on to say this: I was thinking back to the years when I wasn't spending the day in shul, but with the kids, going to play grounds, giving yom tov parties, snacks, etc. To all of you in this blessed parsha, by all means read the rest of the magazines, or a novel, etc. if it helps keep you in a good frame of mind.
Ideally, if you had a good biography that would be the best reading material. After the other things I suggested, and also see Chayalle's post. And of course I mean solid Judaic content.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 9:44 am
I will add that the year I was on bedrest yk because I was pregnant I had a few stupid Jewish novels in my pile too for the sake of my sanity.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 9:53 am
I read tehilim, supposed to finish twice 150x2=כפר

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 11:41 am
Rabbi Glatstein's book is AMAZING.

https://www.amazon.com/Mystery.....Books

What I love is that there are sections for Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur, Succos, Hoshana Rabbah, and I learned so much and was inspired so much for each of those time.

Get it! It's so so good!

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 12:15 pm
Mishnayos Rosh Hashana, tehillim

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 2:36 pm
Ooops
After the davening I would curl up with a book to read. Usually a novel

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 2:40 pm
We like to read more tehillim.

Zehava

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 3:18 pm
I’ll be doing lots of frivolous reading while the men are in shul. Dh offered to watch the toddler so I can daven but not sure I’ll have the patience for it.
Magazines and novels for me.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 10:52 am
I ended up spending a lot of time reading Rebbitzen Heller's book about teshuva. Then I went out for a walk and met her. We had an interesting conversation about masks...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur