Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
No school today??
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 11:32 am
How come all my kids have off today????
Why is this different then every erev shabbos?????
Why can't they have a short day like every week. Preparations- cooking and cleaning is the same like for a regular shabbos. Just 2 more seudas

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 11:34 am
Some people travel, go away for R"H....

In any case - I think there's a number of days of school, and a number of off days. So this is one of the off days.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 11:35 am
Nobody wants to drive carpool on erev YT.
Lots of people travel (well maybe not this year) so there would be a lot of student absences.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 11:35 am
Be happy your kids aren’t in quarantine 🙈. Mine have been home all week. 😬😬😬. You’ll get there! Gut gebentched yur!

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 11:36 am
Many people go away for yt (at least in normal years) so they give the extra time for travel. Also, it's not always simple to get bus companies to agree to an early dismissal on a random Monday (especially if there will also be early dismissal tzom gedalia) so it's always a day off.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 11:37 am
Im with you especially this year when my kids school is BEGGING people not to travel I cant see why there is not an abbreviated day today and the week of sukkos (we have Tuesday and Wednesday and off Thursday and Friday)

bsy

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 11:48 am
mha3484 wrote:
Im with you especially this year when my kids school is BEGGING people not to travel I cant see why there is not an abbreviated day today and the week of sukkos (we have Tuesday and Wednesday and off Thursday and Friday)

For sukkos, both my school and my child's school have school on Thursday, which is very surprising to me. Under normal circumstances, they'd be off.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 11:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How come all my kids have off today????
Why is this different then every erev shabbos?????
Why can't they have a short day like every week. Preparations- cooking and cleaning is the same like for a regular shabbos. Just 2 more seudas

We refer to it as a "cooking day."

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 11:54 am
Teachers are also making yom tov.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 11:55 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Teachers are also making yom tov.

This is my least favorite excuse ever. I am at work until 3 and I am by far not the only one. Somehow we all figure it out sorry. This super gets on my nerves.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 12:01 pm
I also would have preferred to have school today. But the worst are the extra travel days for Sukkos. We should not be encouraging travel this year.

Right now our schools are open and I'm not aware of any active cases in the local day schools. I am very concerned that after Sukkos we will have travel-related spread and schools will have to partially or fully shut down as a result.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 12:02 pm
Who is talking about cooking and cleaning?

That happens in advance.

Most regular people actually work for a living, and this Friday is no different than any other.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 12:06 pm
mha3484 wrote:
This is my least favorite excuse ever. I am at work until 3 and I am by far not the only one. Somehow we all figure it out sorry. This super gets on my nerves.

Teachers get paid far less than other positions & part of the perks of a teaching job is being off erev yom tov.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 12:07 pm
Its not even a matter of who has to work, I think my kids should get maximum instruction before the yomtovim. As it is we start school only a few weeks before and try to cram in as much as we can about Elul, RH, YK and Sukkos. Why do we want to have less days to teach them?

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 12:17 pm
mha3484 wrote:

I bet also Erev pesach you'll do the same?

watergirl

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 12:21 pm
mha3484 wrote:

Yup. I work until 3:30 erev shabbos and erev YT. Yes yes yes I know people will write here that we should afford our kids teachers more respect and give them this time, etc. ok. It can still annoy me.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 12:26 pm
It's appropriate chinuch to not have school on Friday period. Today's society can never give up their Sunday so Erev Shabbos there's school. Girls should be helping mothers on Erev Shabbos/Yom Tov. It's a busy day and I never experienced one of these days when my working mother was NOT home preparing. When I was well I'd be right next to her.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 12:29 pm
watergirl wrote:
Yup. I work until 3:30 erev shabbos and erev YT. Yes yes yes I know people will write here that we should afford our kids teachers more respect and give them this time, etc. ok. It can still annoy me.

Im a teacher and it annoys me. I am happy for the day off, but I know how many students are without supervision And how many parents work and need to make arrangements.
I think the fact that the first day is on shabbos makes it harder. That’s why they gave off.
A gut gebentched yur to all

watergirl

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 12:32 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
It's appropriate chinuch to not have school on Friday period. Today's society can never give up their Sunday so Erev Shabbos there's school. Girls should be helping mothers on Erev Shabbos/Yom Tov. It's a busy day and I never experienced one of these days when my working mother was NOT home preparing. When I was well I'd be right next to her.

This is an antiquated outlook. Do you have any idea how many of the mothers are at work erev shabbos or erev YT? The girls who have working moms are spending the day with a babysitter.

Reality

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 12:39 pm
Just because some mothers have to suffer at their jobs so does everyone else?

That's not the way it works. Jewish schools follow the Jewish calander and give off for Jewish holidays.

Your secular job follows a different calender and you get different days off. Are you upset when you have a day off and your kids have school?

I think not!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics