Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Golden Taste Triple Strong Horseradish has no Vinegar?

Mevater

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 3:22 pm
Ingredients are

Beets
Horseradish
Water
Sugar Salt
Citric Acid

I dont think Citric Acid is Vinegar...is it?

Blessing1

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 3:32 pm
Many people don't eat vinegar in tishrei so they make their things without vinegar.

Mevater

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 4:08 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Many people don't eat vinegar in tishrei so they make their things without vinegar.

Exactly, which is the reason Im asking, because usually the Horseradishes (Chrain) that are made for Tishrei, have a label saying "No Vinegar".

This is the year round one, I bought it in August, that I assume is made this way all year round.

Kiwi Bubby

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 4:23 pm
Citric acid makes things sour.
It’s like concentrated lemon juice. It is probably used instead of vinegar.
You can ask a rav if it’s ok to use RH.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 4:24 pm
Mevater wrote:
Exactly, which is the reason Im asking, because usually the Horseradishes (Chrain) that are made for Tishrei, have a label saying "No Vinegar".

This is the year round one, I bought it in August, that I assume is made this way all year round.

Oh, I misunderstood. I think citric acid is lemon juice. It doesn't have a label? The one we got has a no vinegar label but it says in the ingredients citric acid.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 4:27 pm
Roch Hashanah avoid vinegar, nuts and bitter foods.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 5:19 pm
Citrix aside is a food preserver.

Mevater

Post Fri, Sep 18 2020, 5:21 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Oh, I misunderstood. I think citric acid is lemon juice. It doesn't have a label? The one we got has a no vinegar label but it says in the ingredients citric acid.

Thanks a million!

So I guess if the one that has no Vinegar thats made for R"H has Citric Acid, mine is usable now..

jflower

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 9:04 pm
I bought Tuv Taam No Vinegar horseradish which also has citric acid.

lkwdlady

Post Sat, Sep 04 2021, 11:01 pm
It has citric acid all year round.
When I make my own Chrain for pesach I don’t use vinegar. I use lemon juice.

singleagain

Post Sat, Sep 04 2021, 11:47 pm
I asked the golden taste vendor about this, he says that they stopped vinegar a while ago, but didn't necessarily put all the stickers on. If you want I can double check with him when they switched?

lkwdlady

Post Sat, Sep 04 2021, 11:53 pm
singleagain wrote:
I asked the golden taste vendor about this, he says that they stopped vinegar a while ago, but didn't necessarily put all the stickers on. If you want I can double check with him when they switched?

It was about a year ago. I think they realized that when they made the special run for tishrei, it didn’t effect the taste so they stuck with it year round. I actually didn’t see stickers this year but ingredients clearly state acidic acid and not vinegar. I’m sure many companies will do the same.

egam

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 4:10 am
What difference doesn’t make? They are both acids and both sour. In fact acidic acid (also found in citrus fruits) is stronger then vinegar (acetic acid). And both quite pronounced in the horseradish.
Vinegar is not used because it’s sour, not because it’s called vinegar. So substituting it with even more sour substance doesn’t make any sense.
Shluchan Aruch mentions vinegar as an example only because no one would use lemons the way we use them today. They were seasonal and highly priced.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus