Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Can we talk about these LOL dolls for a hot minute
1  2  3  Next

medola

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 7:57 pm
My 6 year old daughter really wants an LOL doll. (Jk series?) I’ve looked them up and although I am a feminist these dolls look like prostitots. I don’t want to buy her these dolls but she’s unrelenting. All her friends have them and apparently she’s the only one who doesn’t. Are there LOL dolls that dress a little more modestly?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 8:05 pm
I just looked those up. Surprised TMI Can't Believe It

NO, just NO! They are worse than the Bratz dolls, and that's saying a lot. I'm truly horrified.

I don't care what your DDs friends have, those dolls are not tznius, and she needs to know that.

I'm pretty laid back in general, Barbie was OK in my house (with modest clothing), but there is nothing redeeming about LOL in any way, shape, or form. I can't think of a single thing that would make them more acceptable, except maybe a dumpster fire. Mad

You are the parent. You control the values in your home. Let your child whine and beg, you need to stand firm on this one.

If you wouldn't let your child watch R rated movies, then you wouldn't let these things into your home.

If she really loves cute things with big eyes, get her to start collecting the Littlest Pet Shop figurines. You can buy them in bulk on Ebay, and give them to her a few at a time as prizes. My DD went crazy for them, and when you can get a bag of 100 it's a real bargain. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Littl.....306f7

Last edited by FranticFrummie on Sun, Sep 20 2020, 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 8:08 pm
https://www.google.com/amp/s/w......html

I don't know how true story is... but I just did a web search and this came up. This would be a good time for a lesson in peer pressure and not give in. Even the regular ones are really gross they just remind me of cardi b and nicki minaj. Gross. Please stick to your principles on this one.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 8:15 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8645483/amp/Woolworths-removes-kids-LOL-dolls-furious-Aussie-mum-exposed-hidden-s-xual-lingerie.html

I don't know how true story is... but I just did a web search and this came up. This would be a good time for a lesson in peer pressure and not give in. Even the regular ones are really gross they just remind me of cardi b and nicki minaj. Gross. Please stick to your principles on this one.

Oh gosh that's horrible!! Why on earth would a manufacturer even come up with this idea for a TOY meant for KIDS?!
This world is getting crazier by the minute.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 8:16 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8645483/amp/Woolworths-removes-kids-LOL-dolls-furious-Aussie-mum-exposed-hidden-s-xual-lingerie.html

Puke Puke Puke Puke Puke

Oh my, it just got WAY worse. When I googled, I didn't see the "surprise change" in action. Now I feel gross because I can't un-see that.

I just... no words. Confused

WhatFor

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 8:17 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Puke Puke Puke Puke Puke

Oh my, it just got WAY worse. When I googled, I didn't see the "surprise change" in action. Now I feel gross because I can't un-see that.

I just... no words. Confused

It's been a race to the bottom with dolls. From as far back as Barbie.

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 8:56 pm
The boy LOL dolls have little anatomically correct genitals. This was another surprise for many parents.

I'd say give these dolls a pass.

Even without these hidden features, they're creepy and ugly.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 9:15 pm
DrMom wrote:
The boy LOL dolls have little anatomically correct genitals.

WHAT THE FLYING FERRETS???? Surprised Surprised Surprised

I give up. Can we have Moshiach now? Please?

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 10:02 pm
Ugh I feel sick. I’m so disturbed. My kids have a few, they are popular around here. The biggest draw is that they are surprise toys, so every accessory is individually wrapped and you don’t know what you’re getting when you buy it. I thought the clothing was a big much but didn’t think too into it. Want to throw them all out now.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 20 2020, 10:22 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
WHAT THE FLYING FERRETS???? Surprised Surprised Surprised

I give up. Can we have Moshiach now? Please?

OK Flying Ferrets win the internet for today. I can now log off in peace. Not worthy

Goldie613

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 1:00 am
Just checked with one of my kids - apparently what they look like very much depends on the series. Some of the small ones can be cutesy, while the series you mentioned usually has little dolls wearing similar outfits to the older girl dolls (meaning high heels, not tznius clothes, etc). (And yes, they really do the anatomically correct for the boys, though not for the girls as far as she knows).

Maybe she (and you) would be ok with a different series from this same company?

Here's a slightly better image I found online, no idea what series though =

I think for a six year old I might only be comfortable with the middle doll, but others might have other opinions.

Rappel

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 1:12 am
I'm trying to understand...

So the attraction is that you don't know what you're getting in the box?

Ummm...

Why not get a normal looking toy, and wrap it in gift paper like a normal present? If it's an absolute must, make sure it has glitter hair.

I can't imagine what the girls are doing with these dolls after they're unwrapped. There is no pose or game that could make them better.

Last edited by Rappel on Mon, Sep 21 2020, 1:22 am; edited 2 times in total

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 1:16 am
Rappel wrote:
I'm trying to understand...

So the attraction is that you don't know what you're getting in the box?

Ummm...

Why not get a normal looking toy, and wrap it in gift paper like a normal present? If it's an absolute must, make sure it has glitter hair.

I can't imagine what the girls are doing with these dolls after they're unwrapped. There is no pose or game that could make them better.

I think it was meant to tap into the youtube "unboxing" phenomenon.

I think these dolls are ugly. Who would want them?

Rappel

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 1:22 am
DrMom wrote:
I think it was meant to tap into the youtube "unboxing" phenomenon.

I think these dolls are ugly. Who would want them?

Agreed.

I collected beanie babies as a kid, back when they were soft and beanie and adorable. I learned furbish with my furbie. I collected rocks and learned all their names and types. I even collected stamps and coins. I collected hats as a teen. And I wouldn't touch those dolls if you paid me too. Even the least offensive of them are trashy and strange. They promote nothing good.

As for unboxing: again, what do they do with it once it's out?

Rappel

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 1:56 am
Surprise, they're made by a Jew

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0......html

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:20 am
OMG! I’m horrified! My 2 daughters are obsessed with LOL dolls!
I always knew they color change because it’s one of the most exciting parts of the doll, and they love the little dress ups it comes with, they play with them for hours upon hours, we already spent so much money on these dolls, every birthday or chart this is all they ask for so we own quite a few. I also know that the dolls can pee, cry and spit if you dip it in water and squeeze em.
2 years ago I had a horrific experience where we bought a boy LOL for a birthday gift for someone and that kid was so excited they opened the gift right then and there and all of a sudden I saw the mom turning pale and she showed me that it had a p3nis, I left that party shaking and never again purchased the male doll.
My kids love putting their dolls in the freezer and watch the color changing but I never put much thought into it.. sometimes it did pass my mind that wow these little itty bitty dolls change into bras and pantys but that’s where it ended.. now I’m so grossed out I literally wanna toss the entire bin I just don’t think I can take it away just like that.. my kids would be horrified, they literally play with it day and night. Wonder if I call the company and complain if they will give me some money back bec we def spent a fortune on these already.. Puke

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:36 am
I do want to say one nice thing about these.... I was happy that they highlight a different body type than most dolls. They're actually very imaginative, with cool sparkly hair and accessories. I'm not defending sexualization, but I don't think my six year old sees it that way. I think she sees cute dolls.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:29 am
Rappel wrote:
Surprise, they're made by a Jew

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0......html

I called it. I knew they reminded me of Bratz dolls!

As for being Jewish, Dov Charney was Jewish too. It didn't stop him from predatory behavior with underage models at American Apparel.

Unfortunately, we have our share of bad apples. Mad

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:43 am
Agree toss these ASAP

any cute aspect is even worse as it gets these in homes under the radar

ugh ugh

if already had them would make it an age appropriate teachable moment and get the kids something else they want as a trade and buy in

and would throw them in the trash (not give away) where they belong and get the word out

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:51 am
What is the world coming to...

A couple of months ago the DreamWorks Trolls World Tour Giggle 'n Sing Poppy Troll doll was under fire...the doll sighs, giggles, and squeals in delight when a button placed between her legs is touched. (It's supposed to be when she's seated down.)

I can't help but think that there are some sick people in product development.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics