Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
How long does RH davening last by you?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Elfrida

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 8:39 am
nchr wrote:
This is a Chassidish thing. The early shuls finish around 2/3 and the larger ones around 4/5 and even 6 some years. There is a break after leining before shofar called pose.

It sounds long, but really it is spreading the davening over the entire day, rather than concentrating it in the morning.

8:30 to 5:30 is nine hours. That includes a break before shofar of maybe half an hour, and mincha taking half an hour at the end. So a total of about eight hours for Shacharit and Musaf. Possibly less time if there is a drashah.

In my shul, in a normal year, we start at vatikin, which is approximately 5:15. There is normally a five minute break before shofar, so that women coming specifically for shofar know when they need to get there. Then we carry straight on through Musaf and finish about 12:15, leaving about fifteen to twenty minutes for people to get home, make kiddush and wash before chatzot. That gives a davening time of approximately seven hours. After lunch we go back for Mincha, which is another half hour or so.

The actual period spent davening is similar, but we start early and finish early, and in those shuls they start later and spread it over the entire day.

This year, because of davening outside, we had to make it quicker, and finished around 11:00, before it got too hot.

What I wonder is how they can come home that late and eat a Yom Tov seudah, then a few hours later (on second night) eat again?

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 8:41 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
8:30-11:30! Extremely short this year bc they didn’t want people catching corona

People can catch Corona in 5 minutes, what does a shorter minyan help with not catching? What's the difference between 3 & 5 hours regarding people catching??

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 8:42 am
Less time being exposed to others. Many minyanim in my community followed this. No tashlich as they did not want any gathering.

keym

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 8:44 am
7:30-2:30 usually.
On Shabbos, it was 2:15 but just a fifteen minute break for everyone to run home, make Kiddush and come back. This is a Lakewood development where everyone lives within 3 minutes of the shul.
The 2nd day we ended closer to 2:45, but they gave a 25 minute Kiddush break, plus the Rav spoke for 10 minutes before shofar.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 8:45 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Less time being exposed to others. Many minyanim in my community followed this. No tashlich as they did not want any gathering.

Once you're exposed there's no difference if davening is 3 hours or 5 hours.

salt

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 8:58 am
05:45 till 10:15 on 1st day, and till 11:00 on 2nd day.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:20 am
Can people post what neighborhood as well plz?

8:30-12:30 in 5towns.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:21 am
imasinger wrote:
For those davening far past chatzos, is there any discussion about not having seudah that late on YT?

some minyanim have an official break for kiddush before musaf, or else individuals wander off at random times to make their own kiddush.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:23 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
In a different thread someone mentioned that her husband was in shul all day.
Ive never heard of thst before. Yes, sometimes on YK that happens. But RH?
I was wondering how long davening lasts by you, the day time davening.

Here it went from 8 - 12.

I’m the OP of that thread. 8-4. That’s the typical amount of time for everyone in my neighborhood.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:25 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Once you're exposed there's no difference if davening is 3 hours or 5 hours.

There is. The longer you're breathing the same air as an infectious person, the greater the chance of inhaling his germs. The longer you're breathing the same air, the more of his germs you're inhaling. you have to inhale a certain minimum number of viruses for them to be able to overcome your immune system--assuming you have a healthy one--and make you sick. If you inhale one or three viruses, your immune system will handle it. the longer you're in contact, the more viruses the person sheds and the more you inhale. Longer contact time means higher risk. Is 5 hours THAT much worse than 3? Maybe not, but it is worse. And three is worse than one which is worse than half.

yidishmamma

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:28 am
8-4 with half hour break

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:31 am
It was 8-2:30 but then mincha at 5:45. With a seudah in the middle there really was limited time.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 10:07 am
First day, no tekios, no break, very very small minyan, was 8:15-12:45

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 11:25 am
6.30-2, with a half hour break. Included mincha.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 11:35 am
Here is was from 9:15-11:45

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 11:56 am
7:00 till 3:30 on first day because no tekios or avinu malkeinu. Second day till 4:30. There's a short break for kiddush. Mincha was 6 the first day and 5:45 second day because tashlich after mincha. We eat fast. This is a yeshiva schedule.

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:01 pm
Not sure when the davening started but for my husband he went to Shul at 8:30-9 and after the entire davening it was already 6pm
Then we had the meal
We had a break before mussaf
This year I went to shul at 1 in time for mussaf and stayed till the end of davening at 6.
Both days ended at 6 or close to six because no shofar and idk what else

Last edited by PeanutMama on Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

nchr

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:01 pm
We eat our seuda around 5 or 6pm and yes we have another seuda at night. It's a few times a year. The poseh break before Shofar is not intended as a time to eat a seuda. The 4am night seuda on simchas Torah is something people daven earlier at smaller shuls to avoid.

sub

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:06 pm
Boro park
Chassidish
8-11 shachris
30 min break
11:30 leining
12:30 mussaf
3:30
Finish

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:11 pm
sub wrote:
Boro park
Chassidish
8-11 shachris
30 min break
11:30 leining
12:30 mussaf
3:30
Finish

Why break before leining?
I always thought the break is after leining.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur