Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
How long does RH davening last by you?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:50 am
If regular shabbos davening is around 2.5 hours long, it would make sense to add another 2.5 hours (at least) to Rosh Hashana davening... I can understand making it even longer with a slower davening, singing... but I don’t know how it can be much shorter
I also don’t know how shachris can start after zman krias shema... especially on Rosh Hashana
Zman krias shema is 8 something which is why Lakewood shuls began in the 7’s so they can say shema by the right time.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:15 am
watergirl wrote:
Not napping is not halacha. Many people do nap. And some kids play nicely. Or play/bicker. It’s ok. Just like any other shabbos or yt.

shabbatiscoming wrote:
Our minyan was from 8-11:30. We ate at 12 - 2. Then my husband took a nap. There is no halacha that says you cant nap. My daughter and I played games until my husband woke up. We went for a walk to walk to the dogs. My daughter played outside with a few friends (within the regulations). My husband and I had a monopoly deal marathon (as we do every shabbat after his nap Smile ) and then chag was over.

Then again, even growing up in ameica, shul was NEVER all day, not on RH or YK.

I guess for people where napping on RH is okay, it's not an issue. Since we hold youre not supposed to sleep on RH, it helps to fill up the day by being in shul, instead of fighting sleep at home. (my husband did fall asleep on the couch after the seudah which really annoyed me but okay....)

Yom Kippur, you anyway have to start neilah at nightfall, and blow the shofar after the zman of motzei, so you're in shul most of the day anyway.... I mean, there can be a 2 hour break between mincha & neilah or wahtever, but you end up going to shul back and forth so much it almost doesnt pay to keep coming home, does it?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:19 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
If regular shabbos davening is around 2.5 hours long, it would make sense to add another 2.5 hours (at least) to Rosh Hashana davening... I can understand making it even longer with a slower davening, singing... but I don’t know how it can be much shorter
I also don’t know how shachris can start after zman krias shema... especially on Rosh Hashana
Zman krias shema is 8 something which is why Lakewood shuls began in the 7’s so they can say shema by the right time.

zman krias shma according to my calendar was 9:08 on rosh hashana. most shuls here indeed started at 8:30. I guess the ones who started at 9 expected you to say krias shma at home or something.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:27 am
Mama Bear wrote:
So what do you guys do after you finish davening at 11:30???
Seudah is over by 12:30-1, and then..... the day is endlessly long. You can't nap. So you sit around and watch the kids bicker?

First of all, shul was over at 11:45. Not 11:30 Wink
We get home, eat, done by 1:15/30. And then we 1- nap. You’re allowed. Shocker. 2- hang out with the kids. 3- take a walk. 4- visit friends. It’s only 5 hours that I have from the end of the meal until I give my kids supper. So supper, play, bedtime. And then relaxing until I prep for the night meal.

silverlining3

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:54 am
Mama bear, you're so selfish!!!! I don't have the boys!!! So really, whichever whichever way, finish early or late, the day is enough long-with Or without nap. Yes, I watched my kids bicker, but also laugh n play together bh.
Bh for neighbors too!!!
Bh for the kids I have!

Selfish-pun intended.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:57 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
In a different thread someone mentioned that her husband was in shul all day.
Ive never heard of thst before. Yes, sometimes on YK that happens. But RH?
I was wondering how long davening lasts by you, the day time davening.

Here it went from 8 - 12.

I believe the shul where my husband davens (I don’t go to shul) is from 7:30/7:45-1:30/2:00, but that is with a break in between for kiddush and womens shofar.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:59 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I guess for people where napping on RH is okay, it's not an issue. Since we hold youre not supposed to sleep on RH, it helps to fill up the day by being in shul, instead of fighting sleep at home. (my husband did fall asleep on the couch after the seudah which really annoyed me but okay....)

Yom Kippur, you anyway have to start neilah at nightfall, and blow the shofar after the zman of motzei, so you're in shul most of the day anyway.... I mean, there can be a 2 hour break between mincha & neilah or wahtever, but you end up going to shul back and forth so much it almost doesnt pay to keep coming home, does it?
I have never remained in shul for that break. I think by us the break is at least 3 hours. When I did go to shul on YK (Havent in years as I fast very badly so Im in bed most of the day) I always came home to take a nap.
But yes, for those that dont sleep on the chag, I guess some like to just pull out the tfila. But I still dont get how it is so long, but to each their own.

essie14

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:49 am
Our break on YK is at least 3-4 hours. We all go home and nap/relax.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:28 pm
silverlining3 wrote:
Mama bear, you're so selfish!!!! I don't have the boys!!! So really, whichever whichever way, finish early or late, the day is enough long-with Or without nap. Yes, I watched my kids bicker, but also laugh n play together bh.
Bh for neighbors too!!!
Bh for the kids I have!

Selfish-pun intended.

Well, yeah, I also had little kids once and Rosh Hashana was really, really long. But I managed... went to the park, hung out at my parents, etc.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:28 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I have never remained in shul for that break. I think by us the break is at least 3 hours. When I did go to shul on YK (Havent in years as I fast very badly so Im in bed most of the day) I always came home to take a nap.
But yes, for those that dont sleep on the chag, I guess some like to just pull out the tfila. But I still dont get how it is so long, but to each their own.

Yeah Yom Kippur is a different ballgame. The men are basically in shul all day, they do come home for an hour here and there, but mostly it's a day-long affair.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur