Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
If so many people dislike long davening - why do we do it?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 10:30 am
CiCi wrote:
I never liked long davening because I have problems standing too long, but more than that, I didn't know the teicth so well. This year, because I've taught myself a lot of Loshen Hakodesh and Ivrit, I knew the translation of most of davening and it made an immense difference. It was the first year I actually enjoyed davening.
One and the same Smile

mamma llama

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 10:36 am
I used to feel like the davening was really long, but every year I realize how much more there is to daven for and I start thinking that no amount of time will ever be long enough...
At the same time, the blisters on my feet (from hours of standing in toe-pinching heels...) do not necessarily agree with this sentiment. Study

Elfrida

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 10:39 am
mamma llama wrote:
I used to feel like the davening was really long, but every year I realize how much more there is to daven for and I start thinking that no amount of time will ever be long enough...
At the same time, the blisters on my feet (from hours of standing in toe-pinching heels...) do not necessarily agree with this sentiment. Study

I have a personal minhag of wearing very long skirts on Rosh HaShana, to hide the fact that I am also wearing my most comfortable sandals.

Fortunately on Yom Kippur all footwear is accepted.

mamma llama

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 10:43 am
Elfrida wrote:
I have a personal minhag of wearing very long skirts on Rosh HaShana, to hide the fact that I am also wearing my most comfortable sandals.

Fortunately on Yom Kippur all footwear is accepted.

That's brilliant! Why did we not have this thread before Rosh Hashana?!

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 10:46 am
ora_43 wrote:
Even just the 'basic' davening is long on Rosh Hashanah. But that said it's definitely possible to finish at, say, 12:30 instead of 3.

Yom Kippur, though - what's the rush, what else do you have to do? I prefer spending the day davening, to spending the day thinking about how thirsty I am.

(I would think that more people like piyutim now - I mean how many frum Jews were truly fluent in Hebrew 300 years ago, vs today? But I definitely sympathize with people who find them hard.)

Overall - some people like the long davening. Hopefully there's enough of the others to make their own minyan.

Our shul is known for long davening. Start at around 8, finish past 2 on Rosh Hashana. This year, however, we were limited to 2 hours, social distanced, outdoors. We went a bit over, but I assume that we did everything required. "The rest is commentary"? But I did miss some of the singing.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 10:48 am
mamma llama wrote:
That's brilliant! Why did we not have this thread before Rosh Hashana?!

Because our davening was outdoors, under tents in people's yards, it looked like people dressed more comfortably, particularly shoes, and a lot of leggings under skirts.

CiCi

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 11:06 am
deleted

Last edited by CiCi on Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 11:24 am
In the shul where DH davens, davening starts at 8 and ended at 4 after mincha. DH and sons still had a long walk home. First day RH we washed and bentched 3 times in 4 1/2 hours:
5:00 for the meal. We split it for shalosh seudos, so we washed again at 6:00. Then after maariv at 9:30.

We have other more local and more express minyanim in the neighborhood, but DH prefers to daven with the nusach he grew up with.

clowny

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 11:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
All around me, people moan and krechz about the long davening on yamim noraim..

So why do we do it?

If people don't find it meaningful, why undergo this torture?

What do you find meaningful in prayers for Yamim Noraim, how would you do it if you could chose?

Since when do we only do what we like?

I view it very differently. I thank Hashem that He gave us the opportunity of Rosh Hashana And Yom Kippur with such a beautiful davening where we can pour our hearts out and cry and beg for a good and sweet year. Should it take as long as it takes. Those are just 3 special days a year. That is what I find meaningful.

CiCi

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 11:55 am
deleted.

Last edited by CiCi on Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:58 pm; edited 3 times in total

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 12:04 pm
CiCi and clowny- personal growth or tremendous resentment and negativity...
superwifey-not everyone has a choice of minyanim that they can find the one that works for them. my dh always had a hard time. was very relieved that because of covid 19 he didn't have to go.

CiCi

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:40 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
CiCi and clowny- personal growth or tremendous resentment and negativity...
superwifey-not everyone has a choice of minyanim that they can find the one that works for them. my dh always had a hard time. was very relieved that because of covid 19 he didn't have to go.

I just realized that I misunderstood the question. I thought it's about Y"T davening taking too long but the question was about particularly long minyanim. So I think everyone should daven in a minyan that works for them. You are saying that no minyan works for your husbans. In that case I do say that Judaism doesn't change to personal preferences and we need to grow in our spirituality. But that is between yoru husband and Hashem.

Last edited by CiCi on Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:44 pm
It’s interesting - my DH davens always with the fastest minyan. He even started one in our neighborhood. He davens with tremendous kavanah, concentration, intensity and meaning. He just doesn’t have patience to drag it out.
But for Rosh Hashana he returns to his old yeshivish long minyan. He connects to it. But my teenage sons resent it so I’m not sure how much longer it will continue.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:14 pm
Who are you speaking for? I very much like a long davening. My sons do. My husband does. My parents do. My in laws do. Most everyone I know don't mind davening, especially on a day like today.

Does everything have to be only about our convenience? Is there nothing sacred anymore?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:26 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Who are you speaking for? I very much like a long davening. My sons do. My husband does. My parents do. My in laws do. Most everyone I know don't mind davening, especially on a day like today.

Does everything have to be only about our convenience? Is there nothing sacred anymore?

I think if people like it, it's a good reason to do it.

But if they don't like it, but they think it's a holy thing to do - I don't understand the thought process...

So were you expressing that you genuinely like it or that you don't think it's convenient but a big mitzva?

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:31 pm
I think it is written in SA that shacharis should take until chatzos.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
All around me, people moan and krechz about the long davening on yamim noraim..

So why do we do it?

If people don't find it meaningful, why undergo this torture?

What do you find meaningful in prayers for Yamim Noraim, how would you do it if you could chose?

Sometimes unfortunately the baal tefila is too in love with the sound of his own voice, and refuses to entertain the idea that he’s the only one enjoying it.

CiCi

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:34 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
One and the same Smile

Not exactly. There are words in Ivrit that are not part of the Loshen Hakodesh language and there's also slight differnces in grammar and words usage.

CiCi

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:36 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:

Applause

Tefillah is sacred and shouldn't be about concvenience. With that being said, for those who want to daven faster there are such minyanim so I don't get the OP's question.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:39 pm
I it is also a competitive society where this, along with Pesach Seder, the longer it is the better and frummer you are.

How many people here who have long davening-and don't honestly enjoy them, are looking down on people with 3-4 hours ones. You know you are.
Clearly someone who is in Shul from 7:45 am to 5 is much frummer and had a more meaningful YT.
(I say this as a proud 3 hour minyan goer who enjoyed the davening. Enough time to daven and connect, didn't feel like it was never ending and I was tortured.)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur