Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
It’s back. (Covid)
  Previous  1  2  3 10  11  12  Next

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:38 am
youngishbear wrote:
It's not wedding season in chassidusville due to yomtov.

There will be lots of davening together for hours, though, so I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes.

It’s not dancing and hugging and kissing and sweating. Davening is a bit more personal and seperate.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:38 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
It seems Israel which had an early hard lockdown prior to reopening is now experiencing the crest of infections that NY got hit with prior to anyone knowing what was going on or how to even try to avoid the silent spread R"L.
But we do not have anywhere near the amounts of deaths that ny had. Nowhere near.

ChanieMommy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:49 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
It’s not dancing and hugging and kissing and sweating. Davening is a bit more personal and seperate.

Davening can be risky if no precautions are taken, like limiting the number of participants, changing air in the room, keeping distance, wearing masks, no singing or shouting from the participants.

There have been precedents where religious services or even choir rehearsals turned out to be superspreader events.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 10:37 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

In what category would you put Simchas Torah?

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 10:49 am
It's not over. I am sick in bed with Covid now.

I am hi risk.

I know others sick now who are all hi risk.

Yes this is Brooklyn, where it was supposed to be over by now.

Mothers

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 10:53 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:

I am hi risk.

Refuah Shelaimah! Wishing you a speedy and easy recovery!

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 10:53 am

I am hi risk.

Not directed at maroon in particular, but what is the basis of the assertion by some that "it was supposed to be over by now". I'm not sure I ever saw anything that supported that, certainly in light of lax behaviors all summer. Maybe it would have been different if our entire country had been unified to take precautions all summer and nobody traveled, but that's not the reality.

(And trust me, I want this over as much as the next person.)

southernbubby

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 10:56 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Not directed at maroon in particular, but what is the basis of the assertion by some that "it was supposed to be over by now". I'm not sure I ever saw anything that supported that, certainly in light of lax behaviors all summer. Maybe it would have been different if our entire country had been unified to take precautions all summer and nobody traveled, but that's not the reality.

And it looks like any country that gets lax pays a price and has to clamp down on people again.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:00 am

I am hi risk.

Flower Flower Flower coffee coffee coffee

Maroon I am sorry that I can only send you virtual flowers and coffee. You certainly deserve better than that. Refua shleima and all of our thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep us posted as to how you are doing. We will be waiting to hear from you.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:02 am
Because most of my community had it already back then so we were supposed to achieve herd immunity by now. I was so super careful then. The others that got it now were also super careful then. I only relaxed standards after I tested positive for antibodies. Now this.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:09 am
Because most of my community had it already back then so we were supposed to achieve herd immunity by now. I was so super careful then. The others that got it now were also super careful then. I only relaxed standards after I tested positive for antibodies. Now this.

I'm not sure who asserted that for your community. It sounds like your community was given information that was not solidly supported by factual conclusions, but rather by some educated guesses.

I don't think the medical community overall has had any confidence about antibodies and reinfection (or not), and it's coming out now that many are getting reinfected. Also, with the rate of infection being so high and other factors, the percentage of those immune who would contribute to enough herd immunity might have to be very high. (and that only works if folks who had it can't be reinfected--which was never concluded by the medical community overall)

I do feel very bad for the communities who were hit very hard.

There was a very special rabbi who passed in CH last Spring, one of the last of an era. His levaya was amidst the drive-by levayas. I still have in my mind a photo of his last remaining peer standing in front of his home, alone, as the car drove by, alone. So much pain. So much loss.

CiCi

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:11 am
Yes, anti-maskers, we are all selfish people for being rational. We are coldhearted becsause we don't care for the high-risk category people despite many of us being in that category ouselves (myself included) . We are such cruel people for not falling for the pseudo-science and understanding that lockdowns, quarantines, social distancing and masks are for flattening the curve and once it's flattened everyone WILL in one way or another be exposed to the virus. That is the simple reality and all these "precautions" are simply prolonging the natural spread of the virus and the serious issues that come with prolonging it.

But since so many people enjoy the drama and the self-rightousness that comes from wearing masks this is the biggest cruel act from us anti-maskers, that we dare argue our viewpoint and dare to insinuate that we don't run the world and wearing masks doesnt control the destiny of the virus...

Ein oid milvado, when Hashem will say, that's when the virus will recede. Until then and you can wear 50 masks, surround your entire house and each room seperately in plexiglass, wash your hands a gazillion times and live in a vaccum but virus will reach whomever it is bashert to reach.

Hashem is the only one that can give everyone a healthy new year, this is the time that is meant to remind us in Whose Hands we are in.

Last edited by CiCi on Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:50 am; edited 2 times in total

Bluepink

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:13 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Would you undergo surgery with a surgeon and/or team member wearing a bandana tied around his or her face to cover his or her nose and mouth?

I would trust only if my medical team were wearing n95 or the medical equivalent and proper medical grade PPE.

N95s are never worn during standard surgery. They are for protection against airborne diseases. The standard blue surgical mask is used during surgeries, and it is effective against droplet spread. The same mask that we are told to wear now!
My hospital analysed the infection rate among their health care workers throughout the Covid surge in N J and the rate was less than the general population! Meaning, nurses and techs who took care of Covid patients did not generally get sick themselves....
Because masks work!!

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:17 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but loud singing and shouting (think avinu malkeinus, neilah etc.) seem to pose the biggest risks of turning it into a mass spreading event.

gamanit

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:45 am
Bluepink wrote:
N95s are never worn during standard surgery. They are for protection against airborne diseases. The standard blue surgical mask is used during surgeries, and it is effective against droplet spread. The same mask that we are told to wear now!
My hospital analysed the infection rate among their health care workers throughout the Covid surge in N J and the rate was less than the general population! Meaning, nurses and techs who took care of Covid patients did not generally get sick themselves....
Because masks work!!

Nurses not getting sick doesn't mean masks work. I do believe that masks are helpful but I don't think that's the complete explanation because you saw the same with the hospitals that weren't providing adequate masks to their nurses. It's possible that nurses had mild exposures from the early cases back in January which built up their natural resistance to the virus. Yes, there are people who are now confirmed to have had the virus as far back as January including some hospitalizations. I know someone who was hospitalized after returning from China with a cough and now has proven antibodies.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 1:34 pm
southernbubby wrote:
So I wonder why Israel is filling up hospitals if NY is avoiding that.

Bc..... we all had it in March.

<ducks>

Well, not all of us. But NY was so hard hit in March/April that there are fewer people available to transmit it now. Due to Israel's severe initial lockdown they are having a steady stream of cases with no end. Also, there are a lot of ppl traveling in & out of Israel so they might be bringing it in from elsehwere.

Last edited by Mama Bear on Tue, Sep 22 2020, 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 1:35 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Why not? Are they not allowed in ny?

We don't do weddings in Tishrei, it's way too packed with yomim tovim.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 1:38 pm

I am hi risk.

Oy. Refuah sheleima.

NotInNJMommy wrote:

Well, it *was* over for a short while.... We were hit by a huge big whammy in March/April, and then the virus disappeared in May, June, and July. Then.... traveling brought it back in August. Thankfully it's spreading slooowwwwwly now, bc there are fewer people 'available' who can spread it around. This seems to be the sad and crazy nature of this virus, that it sweeps through towns/states, sticks around for a month or two and wreaks havoc, and then leaves for a while.... til it's brought back again.... I hope there'll only be 2 waves, not endless waves like in EY Sad

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 1:49 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Well, it *was* over for a short while.... We were hit by a huge big whammy in March/April, and then the virus disappeared in May, June, and July. Then.... traveling brought it back in August. Thankfully it's spreading slooowwwwwly now, bc there are fewer people 'available' who can spread it around. This seems to be the sad and crazy nature of this virus, that it sweeps through towns/states, sticks around for a month or two and wreaks havoc, and then leaves for a while.... til it's brought back again.... I hope there'll only be 2 waves, not endless waves like in EY Sad
Huh? Why do you think we have had endless waves here in Israel?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 2:50 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

It didn't disappear. There were just far fewer cases, people were away, and the reality is many Jewish camps, including those that moved to PA, had positive cases that they hushed up. (I have a 13 yr old daughter I didn't send to sleep away camp this year, but when her friends who did go returned, they gave up all the dirt on how kids were getting sick etc and the camp just didn't tell anyone--they even moved the healthy kids to a new camp ground, which they only notified parents of via one news site--WEIRD.)

Anyways, hopefully it won't surge like before, but with Tishrei and lots of people feeling confident about having immunity (not medically supported) and/or being "young and healthy and invincible", I don't see the mixing and mingling toning down whatever this new round is.
Page 11 of 12   Previous  1  2  3 10  11  12  Next Recent Topics