Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
ISO medical assistant job in Flatbush area

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 1:48 pm
My sister is finishing up her bachelor's in biology and applying to med school. However, she won't be starting med school until next fall. She's looking for a medical assistant job in the interim.

She's worked in an ophthalmologist's office in the past and did scribing, MA, insurance, etc. She also as EMT certification. However, several doctors have turned her down because she doesn't know how to do phlebotomy.

She doesn't want to work for Dr. Beityakov or Dr. Abberbock. She's open to any specialty besides ophthalmology or dentistry.

Any leads? Or just ideas of doctors' offices to call and see if they're hiring?

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 1:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My sister is finishing up her bachelor's in biology and applying to med school. However, she won't be starting med school until next fall. She's looking for a medical assistant job in the interim.

She's worked in an ophthalmologist's office in the past and did scribing, MA, insurance, etc. She also as EMT certification. However, several doctors have turned her down because she doesn't know how to do phlebotomy.

She doesn't want to work for Dr. Beityakov or Dr. Abberbock. She's open to any specialty besides ophthalmology or dentistry.

does she have any research experience?
imho, she should do research during her gap year, it will be better for her application.
(she needs shadowing and clinical volunteer hours, too of course. but to pad her app, I would recommend research.)

Hatzlacha!

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:35 pm
I wonder if a clinic would be a good idea.
They often have lots of turnover and they might have openings.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

A phlebotomy course is 2 days she should do that. It’s not hard

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:35 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
does she have any research experience?
imho, she should do research during her gap year, it will be better for her application.
(she needs shadowing and clinical volunteer hours, too of course. but to pad her app, I would recommend research.)

Hatzlacha!

She already applied and is not "padding" her application at this point. She has several other things on her app that fulfill those requirements. Research is actually not that useful at this point. Also, she does want to make some money.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:35 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
A phlebotomy course is 2 days she should do that. It’s not hard

They're apparently pretty expensive, though.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They're apparently pretty expensive, though.

It makes sense for down the line and you make ur money back.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:39 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
I wonder if a clinic would be a good idea.
They often have lots of turnover and they might have openings.

She doesn't want to do a clinic. She'd prefer a regular local doctor's office. She made $18/hour at her old job and is basically finished a bachelor's in biology, so she'd prefer not to be paid like a seminary graduate.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 5:53 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
It makes sense for down the line and you make ur money back.

I hear. I can't change her mind, though.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 6:26 pm
If I were in her shoes, I'd take out the local phone book and call any doctor's office that I'd like to work in and ask if they have an opening. Sometimes they already know an assistant is leaving but haven't had time to advertise the job yet.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 6:52 pm
I worked as a medical secretary when I was in college; I learned how to read and prep medical charts, learned about medications, a lot of medical lingo, and about billing, xray readings etc..all from answering phone calls and preparing charts.
Id totally reccomend that as job to get a background understanding( even if its not in the medical feild she prefers to go into)
Id recommend starting by a pediatricians office, if not in specities, such as Intenal medicine, gastro neurology, urology or ent
There are a few places that are always looking..

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 7:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She already applied and is not "padding" her application at this point. She has several other things on her app that fulfill those requirements. Research is actually not that useful at this point. Also, she does want to make some money.

ok.
fyi, research is ALWAYS useful for medical trainees.
She will need research pubs if she wants to get into a competitive specialty program, & imho its easier to do the work during a gap year, than to do it while juggling everything else in med school
Also, I meant a paid research position...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries