Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Visiting Canada & the quarantine
1  2  Next

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 2:58 pm
Hi. We plan on going to Canada for Succos. Yes, I know the border is closed but DH is a Canadian and the rules state that a Canadian citizen, their spouse and dependent children are allowed to go with them. I know we'll have to quarantine but its only for a few days as I was told we can leave anytime, just not go anywhere while there. We plan on staying by my in-laws If anybody here who lives in the States but is either a Canadian citizen or their spouse is, and has actually gone to Canada, since the border was shut (and they started allowing in dependents-happened at a latter date), please tell me what they've asked you at Canadian customs so we can know be prepared. We plan on following all the rules but sometimes if you say the wrong thing it can mess you up. Please only answer if you or someone you know actually has gone, and not a hypothetical situation as Id like to hear real experiences. You can PM if u want. Thanks.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:02 pm
My sister just went. She isn’t even Canadian anymore since became us citizen and traveled on us passport.
Are you driving or flying? My sister flew - she was told it’s much more lenient.
They barely asked any questions. Never called or checked up on her. They did ask her when she is leaving and she just said she wasn’t sure.
She arrived on a Thursday and left the following Sunday with no problem. This was 2 weeks ago.

ahuvah4

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:05 pm
Take along your marriage certificate, they could say I don’t believe your married.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:19 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
My sister just went. She isn’t even Canadian anymore since became us citizen and traveled on us passport.
Are you driving or flying? My sister flew - she was told it’s much more lenient.
They barely asked any questions. Never called or checked up on her. They did ask her when she is leaving and she just said she wasn’t sure.
She arrived on a Thursday and left the following Sunday with no problem. This was 2 weeks ago.

Ya, my inlaws flew here in the summer for the same reason but I have a bunch of kids so not to practical to fly, but thanks

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:19 pm
ahuvah4 wrote:
Take along your marriage certificate, they could say I don’t believe your married.

Good point- thanks!

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:24 pm
My mother in law went, they didn't ask her much except where she's staying and for how long. She is in the house the whole time, waiting for a call or check in but so far no one checked on her.
I do know someone else who went and they called to check on her after she already left, and a family member said she left already.
I'd go, but leave enough time for any border complications or to have time to come back home.
This is being our first Sukkos on this side of the border Smile not sure where we'll be at though.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:36 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
My mother in law went, they didn't ask her much except where she's staying and for how long. She is in the house the whole time, waiting for a call or check in but so far no one checked on her.
I do know someone else who went and they called to check on her after she already left, and a family member said she left already.
I'd go, but leave enough time for any border complications or to have time to come back home.
This is being our first Sukkos on this side of the border Smile not sure where we'll be at though.

Your MIL is Canaidian living in the states?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 3:50 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
Your MIL is Canaidian living in the states?

She's a Canadian who was spending some time in the states. She's back in Canada for now though.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:01 pm
Montrealer here.
You should have no trouble crossing the border. My American family (with Canadian citizenship) has come to visit without a hitch.
Make sure to quarantine in Canada, the RCMP has been checking in regularly.
If you are traveling to Montreal, be aware that the city has just become a "orange zone" and might be a "red zone" by Sukkos if the trends continue.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:09 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Montrealer here.
You should have no trouble crossing the border. My American family (with Canadian citizenship) has come to visit without a hitch.
Make sure to quarantine in Canada, the RCMP has been checking in regularly.
If you are traveling to Montreal, be aware that the city has just become a "orange zone" and might be a "red zone" by Sukkos if the trends continue.

DO all the Americans have Canadian citizenships? Because we made two of our kids Canadian but myself and the other kids are not Canadian, which is what makes me nervous about crossing
What would a red zone mean?

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:14 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
DO all the Americans have Canadian citizenships? Because we made two of our kids Canadian but myself and the other kids are not Canadian, which is what makes me nervous about crossing
What would a red zone mean?

If your Canadian husband is coming to visit his parents, he can bring along his wife and dependent children (children over 18 have had problems) even if they do not have citizenship.
Montreal became an orange zone last night which limits gatherings to 25 people in indoor public places, including shuls. In private homes, no more than 2 households can gather. We don't yet know what red would mean, but it will entail more severe restrictions.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:18 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
If your Canadian husband is coming to visit his parents, he can bring along his wife and dependent children (children over 18 have had problems) even if they do not have citizenship.
Montreal became an orange zone last night which limits gatherings to 25 people in indoor public places, including shuls. In private homes, no more than 2 households can gather. We don't yet know what red would mean, but it will entail more severe restrictions.

And what do we say at the border? That we're coming to visit?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 5:04 pm
We did exactly this a few weeks ago. You should not tell them that you are only going for a few days or they may turn you away (officially non canadians need to stay for 15 days). You need to have a separate place to stay from your inlaws (separate kitchen, separate entrance)

I dont remember them asking anything more than that but be prepared for it taking quite a bit longer. There are much fewer cars at the border but there was only one lane open when we went which I heard is very common now and you do need to give all your info about where you will quarantine.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 5:29 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
We did exactly this a few weeks ago. You should not tell them that you are only going for a few days or they may turn you away (officially non canadians need to stay for 15 days). You need to have a separate place to stay from your inlaws (separate kitchen, separate entrance)

I dont remember them asking anything more than that but be prepared for it taking quite a bit longer. There are much fewer cars at the border but there was only one lane open when we went which I heard is very common now and you do need to give all your info about where you will quarantine.

Thanks. So u said that you're staying for two weeks? And are all of you Americans?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 5:32 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
Thanks. So u said that you're staying for two weeks? And are all of you Americans?

Yes and yes. I brought our marriage license and all kids birth certificates. I wasn't asked for any of it but better safe than sorry

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 7:20 pm
We went during the summer, my husband and I are Canadian but my kids are not. We went for the full two weeks so everything was legal, they just wanted our quarantine address. Hoping to go for sukkos but I’m a bit nervous as we’re not going the full time...

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 7:46 pm
This prob doesn't apply for this trip, but since the rule is to quarantine for 2 weeks, they know you are lying if you show up with too little luggage. you have to be quarantining in a place with it own room for sleeping, and bathroom. They will ask for your plans of eating. (Your in-laws will leave food outside the door.) You will tell them the address of where you are quarantining and your reachable phone number. They will call you every day, once for each member of your family to confirm that you are quarantining. They may check up on you in person as well.

Hatzlacha and have a safe trip! On

We are also thinking of going for sukkos. Could you imagine quarantining for simchas torah???!!! Life is sad 😢

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 8:14 pm
All of you talking about going for sukkos are your DH just not going to go to shul on yom tov? My in laws are begging us to come but DH won't hear of it after davening alone for 3 months now and finally being able to be back in shul there is no way he will voluntarily go and put himself in quarantine.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 8:28 pm
My husband is able to daven with a backyard minyan next door to where we are staying

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:39 pm
Often travelers, would you know if we can pass the border with a copy of kids birth certificate?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics