Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
The Word is DRAWER
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:19 pm
zaq wrote:
"Drawers" in the sense of underwear refers to both men's and women's.

I beg your pardon! My great grandmother was a LADY, and she never wore pants a day in her life. Pants are for men, dresses are for women, and frocks are for little girls.

Quote:
A stoop is technically not a porch, which is a (usually) roofed structure attached to a house. A stoop is a set of steps between the entrance to a house and the sidewalk, though a porch can have a stoop of its own.

In Arkansas, even the poorest clapboard houses had some kind of roof over the front steps, so you wouldn't get rained on while you were searching for your house keys, or waiting for someone to open the door for you.

A house without some kind of awning over the front door might as well be a barn.

You may know Yiddish, but you're no Southern Belle. Wink

Now fetch me some sweet tea. I'm feeling a might parched. Lawd, I might even get the vapors! Tongue Out

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:28 pm
Reality wrote:
I have always been an avid reader. I don't think the word drawer comes up so frequently in books. And if and when it did I never connected the two.

But live and learn!!

Even if you read a lot...we all have words we mispronounce because we've never heard them spoken but have only seen them in print. I thought the past tense of "to lead" (long E) was lead (short E, like the metal) and past tense of mislead was also spelled mislead and pronounced with a short E. After all, the past tense of "to read" and "to misread" long E, is "read" and "misread" short E.

The word "misled" which I read any number of times, I thought was pronounced MYzld and was past tense of the verb "to misle". (And why isn't there such a word? It so perfectly expresses a deception that is more humorous than malicious.)

To this day, when I read "connect the short lead to the black terminal", I don't know if it's pronounced led or leed.

silverlining3

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:07 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
DS asked a brilliant question: some people pronounce Lakewood as “Lakewoor (roll the R, chassidish version)”. Fraigt zich a shaila, Where did the D from Lakewood go? It went to Mondroe!

(For those who don’t get it, I apologize in advance. It’s only funny if you chap without explanations.)

Hahaha thanks for the laugh.
I read it with the gemara nigun.

lilies

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:54 pm
zaq wrote:
Even if you read a lot...we all have words we mispronounce because we've never heard them spoken but have only seen them in print. I thought the past tense of "to lead" (long E) was lead (short E, like the metal) and past tense of mislead was also spelled mislead and pronounced with a short E. After all, the past tense of "to read" and "to misread" long E, is "read" and "misread" short E.

The word "misled" which I read any number of times, I thought was pronounced MYzld and was past tense of the verb "to misle". (And why isn't there such a word? It so perfectly expresses a deception that is more humorous than malicious.)

To this day, when I read "connect the short lead to the black terminal", I don't know if it's pronounced led or leed.

My mind-voice reads misled as 'missile'd, it has a nice sound to it and makes so much sense. She was misled. Too bad.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 1:03 am
The missiled and meiseled ones are good.
You all misread!

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 1:04 am
silverlining3 wrote:
Hahaha thanks for the laugh.
I read it with the gemara nigun.

That’s exactly how he said it too!

Siriusly?

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:45 am
zaq wrote:

There is actually a term for this kind of thing, where people mispronounce words they know at sight without associating them with the actual word which they use in speech. They’re called “misles” because “misled” is actually the most common of them (I said mYzled too!)

Quote:
Errors of this kind—private misanalyses of written forms that yield phonological errors if and when the word has to be spoken—need a technical name. They are not to be confused with other types of word error like folk etymologies, malapropisms, eggcorns, or mondegreens. I have learned, however, that people interested in English usage already have an established name for the words in question, which may suffice: They’re known as misles.
The term derives from the most widespread of all misles: the verb misled, which has misled many.

corolla

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:15 am
Can we please talk about CARONA and AVACADOS???

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:57 am
corolla wrote:
Can we please talk about CARONA and AVACADOS???

We wanted one coroner free er- corona free thread.
Throw the avacados.

corolla

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:07 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
We wanted one coroner free er- corona free thread.

Please accept my apologies.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:13 am
corolla wrote:
Please accept my apologies.

Excepted! Very Happy

Siriusly?

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:21 am
I love this quote:

Spelling, on the other hand, isn’t so forgivable...

preciousmommy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:54 am
zaq wrote:

For me it was hors d'oeuvres. When I read it, I pronounced it my head as hours devours. But I had actually heard people use the words and knew what it was. I guess I thought it was two different things LOL

pause

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:59 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
DS asked a brilliant question: some people pronounce Lakewood as “Lakewoor (roll the R, chassidish version)”. Fraigt zich a shaila, Where did the D from Lakewood go? It went to Mondroe!

(For those who don’t get it, I apologize in advance. It’s only funny if you chap without explanations.)

I heard a slightly different version which is also hamayvin yavin:
Where did the d from Lakewoo go? Mondroe took it.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:03 am
Well in England many names have an R added & it is so confusing. (Like Pippa becomes pronounced as Pipper. Or kohn becomes korn.)
Now why is William "Bill" instead of will?!
Or similar nicknames?

And one more, been seeing Yashiva here lately instead of Yeshiva? What's with that?

sushilover

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:38 am
I don't know guys, I think accents are gorgeous and add spice to life! I always say what a shame it is that people are losing their regional accents as the world shrinks.

watergirl

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:49 am
sushilover wrote:
I don't know guys, I think accents are gorgeous and add spice to life! I always say what a shame it is that people are losing their regional accents as the world shrinks.

Accents are awesome! But the point of this thread is spelling does not change when you have a different way of pronouncing something!

pause

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:51 am
studying_torah wrote:
Well in England many names have an R added & it is so confusing. (Like Pippa becomes pronounced as Pipper. Or kohn becomes korn.)
Now why is William "Bill" instead of will?!
Or similar nicknames?

And one more, been seeing Yashiva here lately instead of Yeshiva? What's with that?

I think all those posts are written by the same poster. Wink

studying_torah

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:09 am
I wondered about that

Siriusly?

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:37 am
preciousmommy wrote:
For me it was hors d'oeuvres. When I read it, I pronounced it my head as hours devours. But I had actually heard people use the words and knew what it was. I guess I thought it was two different things LOL

There are loads of these and some are really funny! I know someone who read "underfed" as "un-derfd" rather than "under-fed", or "unshed" as "unshd" rather than "un-shed"...
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics