Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Shells - Hang or Fold?
1  2  Next

Shells: Hang or Fold?
Hang  
 15%  [ 14 ]
Fold  
 84%  [ 77 ]
Total Votes : 91

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:39 pm
Hi ladies,
Looking for suggestions for the best way to store shells. I’ve tried hanging them and folding them in the past; the folded ones tend to get mushed up/wrinkled and it’s challenging to figure out what sleeve length they are without unfolding them. When I hang them, I’m worried about stretching the neckline out when I take them on or off the hanger (and also worried about breaking the hanger, which I have done multiple times). Interested in recommendations about what works best for you! TIA.

sub

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:42 pm
Fold in half and then roll. No creases and takes up less space.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:45 pm
I have more room in my closet than I have in my drawers so I started hanging them. I find it convenient since I hang them to dry after I wash them and then just put them in the closet once they are dry . I don’t have to then remove them from hangers , fold and put away. Saves me a step.

SingALong

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:48 pm
I have them folded in a drawer, kon marie style. 4 rows, white, black, grey, ivory/taupe. I can usually tell which is long sleeve and which is short, since the long sleeved are bulkier. I love being able to open my drawer and see all the shells at once, no need to search for the one I need

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 9:52 pm
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bett.....45516
There are different types with this little indentation. But I have these and I love it. Super narrow doesnt take up much space and really great for the neckline.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 10:12 pm
I like to hang everything.

realsilver

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 10:31 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I like to hang everything.

In the sceptical shana series in the Ami, they wrote to put shells in a bin. (I guess a drawer fills the same need)
Whether you like it or not they never stay folded neatly so a bin keeps them contained.
Game changer!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 10:41 pm
Like thunderstorm, I hang to dry so hanging in the closets saves me a step.

I see what I have when it's hanging and I know what's what. Shells here. Short skirts here (I use clothing dividers). Everything stays neat by default. That's a game changer for me. Smile

As an added bonus, I can see off the bat which black shell is short sleeves, 3/4, long sleeves... just by glancing, no unfolding necessary.

agreer

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 10:43 pm
Doesn't hanging ruin the shoulders of shells with sleeves?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 10:44 pm
agreer wrote:
Doesn't hanging ruin the shoulders of shells with sleeves?

Not unless they're woven sweater knit material. They need to be put onto the hanger carefully when wet.

silverlining3

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:06 am
I fold. Always afraid the neckline will stretch.
Since there's no sleeves, sleeveless folded are much thinner, not hard to see the difference.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:48 am
I don't have enough hanging space so I fold. To make it easier re short/long sleeves, color code them with a dot of fabric paint or nail polish inside the back of the neck.

Frumme

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:59 am
I hang them up for easy access. When I fold them, it's much harder for me to pick out the color/length I need. In my closet, they're arranged by style (e.g. crop top, sleeveless, etc).

I use baby hangers for the crop tops and sleeveless shells. I've never had an issue with regular hangers stretching out the neckline (but I suppose it's possible if you're the type to try and pull the hanger out from the top as opposed to pulling it out from the bottom, if that makes sense).

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:40 am
Fold. Also I have a pile of sleeveless and a pile of sleeved shells.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:49 am
SingALong wrote:
I have them folded in a drawer, kon marie style. 4 rows, white, black, grey, ivory/taupe. I can usually tell which is long sleeve and which is short, since the long sleeved are bulkier. I love being able to open my drawer and see all the shells at once, no need to search for the one I need

YES! Konmari changed my life. I am one of the least organized people I know, and I will not maintain a fussy structure that takes a lot of upkeep. This is so easy for me, I don't even think about it when I put away my clean laundry.

I have a teeny, tiny Israeli closet, and no room to put in any more. Having my shells folded has saved me so much space! I have shelves in my closet that I can't move (nailed into the wall.) I got some shallow storage containers, and sorted my shells by color.

I Konmari'd them into nice rows, and I can find pretty much anything I need, immediately. The perfect shade of pink to match this dress? It's right here! No more digging through and wrinkling all the others in frustration.

Watch Marie Kondo on Netflix. She is SO adorable! She really "sparks joy" when you watch her at work.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:02 am
If I have a specific shade that goes only with one outfit, it's hung up with that outfit. Otherwise in drawers, separated by sleeve length and somewhat by color. I still made the mistake of wearing navy instead of black last week when getting dressed in the dark 🤣

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:11 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
...I still made the mistake of wearing navy instead of black last week when getting dressed in the dark 🤣

I hang black shells on white hangers and navy blue shells on bright blue hangers so I can pick out the right color in low light.

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 12:42 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
YES! Konmari changed my life. ...

I Konmari'd them into nice rows, and I can find pretty much anything I need, immediately. .

Ditto. I organize by sleeve length and color. I separate sleeveless from short sleeve from long sleeve by inserting a piece of cardboard, exactly like a tabbed divider card in a file cabinet, between each type.

Fave

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 1:17 pm
I use a sharpie to write on the shells label indicating if it’s B for black/N for navy/W for white/OW for offwhite/SL for sleeveless....

I fold and store on a shelf to keep the neck line from stretching.

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:57 am
Thank you all for your responses and suggestions! I also came across this method, curious if any of you have tried it?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=.....tube]
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics