Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is Hashem speaking to holy women?
Previous  1  2

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:25 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
Shma bekola for one.

I'll go find more.

That's not a source for privileging women in general. It's about Sarah Imenu being right in a particular circumstance. Nor is it about spirituality per se. It's about her intelligence and understanding.

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:27 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
Shma bekola for one.

I'll go find more.

Not exactly.

https://www.etzion.org.il/en/a.....ality

Sara had prophecy once, whereas Avraham had it numerous times. How could you say that Sara was therefore greater than Avraham?

And let's say that you're right, that Sara was greater, overall than Avraham. I don't buy it, but okay. That being said, does that mean that every woman is always greater than her spouse?

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:36 pm
I would like to ask the OP, do you really think women have less of a connection to Hashem than men?
I'll admit that it seems that men get most of the fun parts and publicity in Judaism. Sometimes that upsets me as well.
But as Hashem generally doesn't address human beings audibly or in public in our times, the connection between Him and us is by necessity private, individual and internal. And on that level, why would there be any difference between men and women?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:40 pm
I think the title is misleading. The question OP should have asked in the title is "Hashem speaking to holy women?"

I speak to Hashem all the time. I'm pretty sure Rebbetzin Jungreis OBM had Hashem on auto-dial, as well as many other holy women throughout the centuries. Very Happy

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:41 pm
Avraham is greater than Sarah. I'm not saying not. Shma Bekola sheds light on a woman's abilities and how they are greater than men.
In the case of Sarah she was very intuitive and saw how Yishmael was in contrast to Avraham who didn't see that because of his lofty level.

In general womens Neshamos come from a greater place in other words we are closer to G-d than men. It also is the reason we can give birth.

The Oseh retzon baala: literally meaning she creates her husbands will. Also shows on a womans greatness.

In the end of the day, there are great men and great women. A very holy man can marry an evil woman and vice versa. Each role is unique and vital it's like comparing the brain to the heart. Saying that men are greater because they have the srarah is just inaccurate.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:43 pm
The same page of Gemara, Megillah 14a that says there were forty-eight prophets and seven prophetesses also says that the number of prophets was twice as many as the Jews who left Egypt, and the difference between the two numbers is that the former gave prophecies that were recorded for future generations.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:43 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I think the title is misleading. The question OP should have asked in the title is "Hashem speaking to holy women?"

I speak to Hashem all the time. I'm pretty sure Rebbetzin Jungreis OBM had Hashem on auto-dial, as well as many other holy women throughout the centuries. Very Happy

Yes omg! I was thinking I speak to Him all the time! Very Happy

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:47 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
Avraham is greater than Sarah. I'm not saying not. Shma Bekola sheds light on a woman's abilities and how they are greater than men.
In the case of Sarah she was very intuitive and saw how Yishmael was in contrast to Avraham who didn't see that because of his lofty level.

In general womens Neshamos come from a greater place in other words we are closer to G-d than men. It also is the reason we can give birth.

The Oseh retzon baala: literally meaning she creates her husbands will. Also shows on a womans greatness.

In the end of the day, there are great men and great women. A very holy man can marry an evil woman and vice versa. Each role is unique and vital it's like comparing the brain to the heart. Saying that men are greater because they have the srarah is just inaccurate.

You beat me to it. A holy man can marry a wicked woman, and he will go down with her. A wicked man can marry a holy woman, and she will raise him up.

A woman has greater POTENTIAL than a man, we just don't always know that we do, or know how to reach that potential. I believe that there are insecure men out there who would like us to not be in touch with that potential. It's our job to reclaim it and express it.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:49 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:

Quoting a few words out of context doesn't constitute a proof of anything.

No one is saying that women are devoid of spiritual value. What I'm saying is that there is no proof for the assertion that women are inherently more spiritual than men or somehow intuitively closer to Hashem.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I always hear about how women are on a higher spiritual plane than men (hence why we don't need so many mitzvos).

Why are there never stories about Hashem speaking to very holy women? Why does Hashem only speak to men, who aren't on our level and can never hope to be?

It's true that more men are recorded as having Nevuah. But a women's greatness is her intuitive understanding of the ways of the world and how to navigate it.
(People have this misconception that the world is a low place and that this ability isn't that great. Nothing can be farther than the truth. There's no where better to be than earth.)

Being that this is a woman's power. It's more clear why less women would have Nevuah. Having Nevuah requires always being in an elevated detached mindset. Women can't be like that and also their job: do what needs to happen in this world to make the world was it was meant to be.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 6:24 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Quoting a few words out of context doesn't constitute a proof of anything.

No one is saying that women are devoid of spiritual value. What I'm saying is that there is no proof for the assertion that women are inherently more spiritual than men or somehow intuitively closer to Hashem.

כל צבאיו משרתיו עשי רצונו explained in
Lekutei Torah Emor daf 32 amud 4

And applied here Lekutei Sichos daled page 1069
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics