Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Early minyan in school- from what age /grade?
Previous  1  2

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:12 pm
My DS started this year in 6th grade. He's the second to oldest in his class, turning bar mitzva next year January. He hates the long school day but he loves the independence of waking up early. I stay in bed, he makes himself a hot cocoa and grabs some oatmeal cookies, no one comments on what he's wearing and how late he is for the bus. So far he hasn't missed his bus even one day Smile I'm so proud of him and how he's really doing this all on his own.

It's not mandatory but the kids who come to shachris get a really great trip at the end of the year and no kid wants to miss it.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:47 pm
Why are you calling it minyan? Tha'ts when your son's school day starts -- with davening. I dont think it has anything to do with actual minyan. Their school day starts at 7:40, or whatever.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:49 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Why are you calling it minyan? Tha'ts when your son's school day starts -- with davening. I dont think it has anything to do with actual minyan. Their school day starts at 7:40, or whatever.

Because it's an actual minyan. They daven with minyan, with krias hatorah, now in elul with tekios and then in tishrei with slichos. If they miss the shachris bus, they need to daven on their own and if it's a bar mitzva boy, he needs to find a shul minyan.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:51 pm
7th grade, minyan at 7:30
My son was so nervous about being on time but he's been fantastic. Puts himself to sleep before 9 pm every night and is up extra early every morning to make himself a good breakfast.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 7:58 pm
okay I guess things are different in lakewood / yeshivish schools.... in the chasidish schools of course you can be late but no kid wants to come on the 'baby' bus and have to catch up on their own davening.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:05 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
okay I guess things are different in lakewood / yeshivish schools.... in the chasidish schools of course you can be late but no kid wants to come on the 'baby' bus and have to catch up on their own davening.

My son is in a chassidish cheder. Some kids come with the "baby" bus, but there's no real punishment for it. The big motivator is the trip.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics