Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Camp and Catskills

amcdireyo31

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:04 pm
Hi,
I'm from out of town and I'm interested in finding out more about renting a bungalow for the summer. I want to know which is the best place for me 20-40 somethings. My girls would be in camp (not sure which one yet) or if there is a day camp for 10 year old girls that's an option too.
If I go on craigslist and search rentals, I don't even know where to begin to look for a place as I'm not familiar with the map there.

Thanks!!

thanks

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:08 pm
Why are you posting this now? Summer is many months away.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:23 pm
You wont find catskills rentals on craigslist. You have to look in the heimishe circulars. Plus, no one is renting out now for the summer. Rentals usually start being advertised in March.

Mollie

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:24 pm
You’re not going to find info on Craigslist. Do your own research about different bungalow colonies (majority are In Woodridge, South Fallsburg and Woodbourne areas in the Catskills) and see which crowd would be the best fit for you

amcdireyo31

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:30 pm
Hi,
I'm posting about this now because I like planning ahead. How can I see the circulars if I'm out of state? I'm not really sure which area would be the best fit for me. I'm looking for modern heimish/modern chabad, or just modern.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 4:49 pm
Reach out to your family and friends and ask where they are going

amcdireyo31

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:03 pm
Thanks,
Sounds good. I don't have family or friends going there or who have gone there ever. Is this not the right place to post for this kind of help? I work remotely, so I can work there and was hoping to figure out where I'd want to be by the time more rentals become available. I also wanted to get the word out that I'm looking for a rental.

Mothers

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:09 pm
This is an OK place to post for this kind of help, but as others have noted, it’s too early. Everyone is focused on the upcoming Yomim Tovim, and nobody is thinking about Summer. You might get better information if you post after Chanukah. That is still early Wink

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:10 pm
amcdireyo31 wrote:
Thanks,
Sounds good. I don't have family or friends going there or who have gone there ever. Is this not the right place to post for this kind of help? I work remotely, so I can work there and was hoping to figure out where I'd want to be by the time more rentals become available. I also wanted to get the word out that I'm looking for a rental.

This is the right place but way too early.
You’ll get better responses in a few months time.
If I’d have an idea for you I’d post it now but sorry I don’t.

amcdireyo31

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:19 pm
Ok!

If anyone does have any ideas now, or information now, about the different types of colonies that are there even if it's September now, please reply.

Many of you have the luxury of living in NY/NJ and planning later on...if this is stressing you out cuz of y''t, don't let it Smile

Thank you!

southernbubby

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:28 pm
Chabad has several websites such as collive.com and crownheights.info where people post ads. You can check there or put an ad that you are looking. Some of the colonies cater to the young people and some are full of old timers.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 5:59 pm
I see ads in hamodia for rentals (during the season)
Jewish press has more modern rentals listings. (During the season)
You can also do a search on this site. I remember someone posting this summer and there was info about the different bungalow colonies.
Maybe there is a comprehensive list of all the colonies- I bet Hatzalah has a comprehensive list

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 6:11 pm
Does hamodia have online classifieds?

Even if no one is advertising ppl on here should be able to tell you names of colonies that your type, areas, colony phone numbers. Even if there are no ads.

Mollie

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 6:23 pm
Highland Park, Vacation Villiage, Yellow Shutters, Laurel Estates, Beaver Lake, Cutlers, Luxor. Those are a few that I thought of off the top of my head, based on the broad overview that you gave.

sub

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 6:27 pm
Inner circle up in liberty has summer homes with a lubavitch crowd

southernbubby

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 8:06 pm
sub wrote:
Inner circle up in liberty has summer homes with a lubavitch crowd

AFAIK the homes in IC one and two are all owned but sometimes people rent them out. Inner circle is owned by Olympic Estates condo association.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 9:20 pm
southernbubby wrote:
AFAIK the homes in IC one and two are all owned but sometimes people rent them out. Inner circle is owned by Olympic Estates condo association.

There is a new section added to the Lubavitch colony there. They are winterized homes but some people rent there. The crowd is from all over. They have more than one shul. Pool. Playgrounds.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 10:10 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
There is a new section added to the Lubavitch colony there. They are winterized homes but some people rent there. The crowd is from all over. They have more than one shul. Pool. Playgrounds.

Right. The older section closer to the entrance is mostly non Lubavich and the other two sections are and are referred to in Chabad as IC one and two or "phase two". Each section has it's own everything. The condo association doesn't seem to be into rentals but the actual owners sometimes rent them out.

amcdireyo31

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:53 pm
Thanks!!
So helpful, I just wanted to do some preliminary research on google and facebook and I didn't even know where to begin, but now I can at least put in those names and look around.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics