Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Why did kids clothing prices in frum store go up?
Previous  1  2

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:36 pm
QueensMama wrote:
I don’t think you understand the costs involved. Clothing must be designed. Fabrics must be chosen. Samples made nixed and redesigned You can’t produce too much of each style because no one wants to wear clothing that everyone else has. You need to market the clothes with very costly photo shoots and models. You have to have relationships with stores which requires manpower. You have to allow for unsold inventory. I’m sure there are a lot more hidden costs.

Feel free to buy h and m and Zara clothing and enjoy altering it to fit tall girls.

They are providing a valuable service that I am grateful for. And there’s always cheap brands like kidichic who are also providing a very valuable service.

I have to alter every single dress for my soon to be 7 year old. None are long enough. She isn’t very tall (63rd percentile if I remember correctly ), but she’s thin, and every single dress has to be lengthened and usually taken in. This is from Jewish stores.

The reason Jewish stores cost more is mostly because they’re not big chains and they use brands that sell only to frum people. They have to have a higher markup. Zara etc have WAY higher marketing, much more employees (after all they have corporate ), higher rent etc but they can afford it. I’d like to think they aren’t extorting us but we are deluding ourselves if we think that the Jewish dress for $110 is much more valuable than one from a nonjewish store that’s $40, even if it’s a “European brand”, whatever that means these days. None of this stuff is on the catwalk in Paris or Milan- they’re tiny brands and sold only to Jewish people . You’re not going to see a [gentile] walking down the street in LA wearing a dress you got your daughter in Junee.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Sep 22 2020, 11:36 pm
"I don’t think you understand the costs involved. You need to market the clothes with very costly photo shoots and models. You have to have relationships with stores which requires manpower. You have to allow for unsold inventory. I’m sure there are a lot more hidden costs.

They are providing a valuable service that I am grateful for. "

As a side point please no costly biracial photo. Please pay jewish girls from wherever all over t h e wold instead. And Who needs those photos anyways? The way they wear the clothes in such short length does not give me any idea what it will look like

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 2:15 am
QueensMama wrote:
I don’t think you understand the costs involved. Clothing must be designed. Fabrics must be chosen. Samples made nixed and redesigned You can’t produce too much of each style because no one wants to wear clothing that everyone else has. You need to market the clothes with very costly photo shoots and models. You have to have relationships with stores which requires manpower. You have to allow for unsold inventory. I’m sure there are a lot more hidden costs.

Feel free to buy h and m and Zara clothing and enjoy altering it to fit tall girls.

They are providing a valuable service that I am grateful for. And there’s always cheap brands like kidichic who are also providing a very valuable service.

Somehow Kidichic and tottini have figured how to make beautiful durable clothing for a fraction of the cost and make a profit. They have tons of advertising and photography.

And unfortunately a lot of clothing sold in Jewish stores is short. And photographed always above the knee.

I once spoke to a clothing manufacturer about why he can’t produce a zara dress for that cost. And he said what you said. The production is way less so cost is higher. Markup is also less so speed need to sell more to make a profit. But some companies have figured out how to keep costs down and be successful.
I hope more ppl follow suit. No reason to throw away hard earned Jewish money.
I think now that the younger generations have discovered online shopping they are going to have to figure out how to lower prices.

essgee

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 3:47 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Somehow Kidichic and tottini have figured how to make beautiful durable clothing for a fraction of the cost and make a profit. They have tons of advertising and photography.

And unfortunately a lot of clothing sold in Jewish stores is short. And photographed always above the knee.

I once spoke to a clothing manufacturer about why he can’t produce a zara dress for that cost. And he said what you said. The production is way less so cost is higher. Markup is also less so speed need to sell more to make a profit. But some companies have figured out how to keep costs down and be successful.
I hope more ppl follow suit. No reason to throw away hard earned Jewish money.
I think now that the younger generations have discovered online shopping they are going to have to figure out how to lower prices.

youre forgetting that kidichic and tottini sell their clothing in their own stores, thus cutting out the middleman. other companies see to frum stores who then sell it to you meaning an added person who needs to make a profit

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:01 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
I have to alter every single dress for my soon to be 7 year old. None are long enough. She isn’t very tall (63rd percentile if I remember correctly ), but she’s thin, and every single dress has to be lengthened and usually taken in. This is from Jewish stores.

The reason Jewish stores cost more is mostly because they’re not big chains and they use brands that sell only to frum people. They have to have a higher markup. Zara etc have WAY higher marketing, much more employees (after all they have corporate ), higher rent etc but they can afford it. I’d like to think they aren’t extorting us but we are deluding ourselves if we think that the Jewish dress for $110 is much more valuable than one from a nonjewish store that’s $40, even if it’s a “European brand”, whatever that means these days. None of this stuff is on the catwalk in Paris or Milan- they’re tiny brands and sold only to Jewish people . You’re not going to see a [gentile] walking down the street in LA wearing a dress you got your daughter in Junee.

You’re wrong about at least one point. Many of the Jewish stores carry high end European brands that are not Jewish. The fact is, no matter how well made a piece of clothing is, it can’t be THAT much more valuable. At the most it can be $10-$15 more valuable. There’s no such thing as an article of clothing that’s worth $600. People who buy brands are paying for the name. And they are entitled to do that. And the clothing brands and shops are entitled to charge as much as they want to.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:14 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Find me dresses on these sites that cover knees. I'd love to see them!

Babies don't need their knees covered.

rosenbal

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:18 pm
essgee wrote:
youre forgetting that kidichic and tottini sell their clothing in their own stores, thus cutting out the middleman. other companies see to frum stores who then sell it to you meaning an added person who needs to make a profit

This! Maybe more brands will join this model. Certainly great for consumers.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:20 pm
essgee wrote:

While they are cutting out the middleman they still have the expenses on the Staff and stores and warehouses and websites and they turn a nice profit.
Is the middleman markup really $50-70 am item because most other Jewish clothing falls in that increase. If it was $10 more I could understand - but it’s not - it’s way more.
You can buy ribbed sets for $20 or $150. You’d be hard pressed to find differences other then the label and branding.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:22 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
As a side point please no costly biracial photo. Please pay jewish girls from wherever all over t h e wold instead. And Who needs those photos anyways? The way they wear the clothes in such short length does not give me any idea what it will look like

There are dark-skinned and biracial Jewish girls from "all over the world." I'm not sure I understand your comment.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:23 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
FOr big kids not. But op said she was shopping for a baby. For my girls I do frum stores. But under 4 and boys mainly is online.

I personally put above the knee specially on my 4 year old dd. I hope to get away with it until she's 8 at least. So much cuter!

And I prefer babies in onesies or 2 pieces as opposed to a dress until they're walking. Just my preference. So easy to find in non Jewish stores. Zara, next etc. So much choice out there.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:24 pm
I never understood the fancy photo shoots the Jewish companies take. If it costs so much money don't do it.
The reason you are only finding baby clothing for $85+ is because you're going to the most expensive stores. I'm sorry but there are so many stores with cheaper baby clothing. Don't complain about a non existent issue make good decisions. Shop at Tottini, Kidichic... and not at Whoopi.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:27 pm
There was a dress for $30 on the Forever 21 website that was tznius and was popular for teens. I would have put a shell under it but it's not up to me. The length was certainly adequate and the style was sweet and aidel. A lot of people are getting creative if they don't require heimishe clothing.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:41 pm
southernbubby wrote:
There was a dress for $30 on the Forever 21 website that was tznius and was popular for teens. I would have put a shell under it but it's not up to me. The length was certainly adequate and the style was sweet and aidel. A lot of people are getting creative if they don't require heimishe clothing.

Exactly. My nieces dress beautifully and I don't think she's ever had from a Jewish store. One is 15 btw and perfectly tznius. They're not their style of clothing that theyd go for. Nor do they want to be matching to a 1 year old.. on the other hand another sil loves to match her 13 year old special needs daughter with her 2 year old dd. Everyone to their own, but there are certainly other options, especially for a baby!!

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:44 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
There are dark-skinned and biracial Jewish girls from "all over the world." I'm not sure I understand your comment.

Meaning if you feel the need to take expensive photographs use jewish children (exactly there are jewish poor birashial girls all over the word. At least use these kids. Than non jewish filthy rich children with terrible values

simcha2

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:45 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Find me dresses on these sites that cover knees. I'd love to see them!

US $15.61
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtQayFZ

US $14.97
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMKlnL5

US $15.21
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNuFJLd

US $15.61
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM7iV4X

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m06lHfd

imasoftov

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:51 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
As a side point please no costly biracial photo.

Or run them through the Twitter image-cropping algorithm

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:16 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Meaning if you feel the need to take expensive photographs use jewish children (exactly there are jewish poor birashial girls all over the word. At least use these kids. Than non jewish filthy rich children with terrible values

Um. You know you can't tell someone's values from an ad photo, right? or whether they're filthy rich?

Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

imasoftov

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:31 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Um. You know you can't tell someone's values from an ad photo, right? or whether they're filthy rich?

Or even if they're Jewish.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:35 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Or even if they're Jewish.

Very true!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics