Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Idea for fancy Mishloach Manos?

sarahd

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 8:13 am
Someone has been helping my husband break into a new line of business. My husband has really benefited from his advice and assistance. We need to give him a really special Mishloach Manos. What to give, what to give?

This man is very wealthy, but lives very simply.
He doesn't like or appreciate nice wines or liquors/liqueurs.
He will not appreciate a piece of silver or anything like that.
He manufactures chocolates, so fancy chocolates are out.

So much for him, now for me:
I have two left hands
I am not creative
so forget about anything homemade.

We thought of a nice fruit basket, but there are no places that make them here and no way can I make one myself.

Any ideas??

ss321

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 8:17 am
sarahd wrote:

We thought of a nice fruit basket, but there are no places that make them here and no way can I make one myself.

Any ideas??

I dont know where you live, but most chessed organizations that make mishloach manos, WILL ship. Im not creative, nor do I have the time to make up cute little mishloach manos like all my friends (each w/ a different "theme..." I dont know how they do it), so I just buy, and I feel like im supporting a tzedakah also. the one I use is called keren aniyim and its in flatbush. there are dozens of such organizations, I can get you a number if you need. also, places like oh nuts make mishloach manos, and would definitely ship, but id rather not buy from a "company" and give my money to a cause instead. anyway, that sounds like the best option if youre not creative.
good luck!

Raisin

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 8:25 am
a basket or nice dish full of nuts and dried fruit?

sarahd

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 4:04 pm
ss321 wrote:
sarahd wrote:

Any ideas??

I dont know where you live, but most chessed organizations that make mishloach manos, WILL ship. Im not creative, nor do I have the time to make up cute little mishloach manos like all my friends (each w/ a different "theme..." I dont know how they do it), so I just buy, and I feel like im supporting a tzedakah also. the one I use is called keren aniyim and its in flatbush. there are dozens of such organizations, I can get you a number if you need. also, places like oh nuts make mishloach manos, and would definitely ship, but id rather not buy from a "company" and give my money to a cause instead. anyway, that sounds like the best option if youre not creative.
good luck!

I doubt they ship to Europe, where I live. If I lived in the US, that's probably what I'd do.

Raisin, your idea sounds nice. There are very few kosher dried fruits here, but maybe we can work something out.

I'm still open to ideas! Very Happy

Fox

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 4:10 pm
Each year I make a roasted or smoked duck for a couple of special shalach manos. I buy a whole duck (frozen) and roast or smoke it. I then put in on a bed of fancy rice and arrange some garnishes around it.

I usually use just an appropriately-sized aluminum pan, but you could potentially do something with a fancier pan or container.

This has been very successful -- especially with a couple of Europeans with whom we're close. The cost in USD is generally under $25, which is still less than the commercial baskets that are prepared.

Lani22

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 4:12 pm
how about sending some nice dishes for shabbas. A nice homemade potato kugel, Chalah a nice dessert maybe

ss321

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 4:12 pm
sarahd wrote:

I doubt they ship to Europe, where I live. If I lived in the US, that's probably what I'd do.

I'm still open to ideas! Very Happy

I wouldnt rule it out so fast! they just might! ESPECIALLY if youre talking one measly box, to one house, as a favor, and you pay the shipping charge. they might just fedex it to you. alternatively, you could probably have a friend/relative who lives in ny pick it up and hten fedex it to you.

dilego

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 4:33 pm
sarahd I'ming u.

imokay

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 6:39 pm
what about a nice bircas habayis, or something along those lines (like bracha for business, etc- in the us u can buy them from judaica store- starting price is about $65) as the main centerpiece, with some additional tasteful food (dried fruits, nuts, wine, etc.) arranged nicely around it?...
less mishloach manos-y and more gift-y, but I always appreciate stuff over food...

shoy18

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 6:50 pm
Does this man have a wife and family?? why not get something for the house?

sarahd

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 6:16 am
B"h he has a wife, all his kids are married. What should I get for the house? Any ideas, bearing in mind that these people live simple shebisimple?

A bircas haesek is a nice idea, imokay. Dh will be in Israel before Purim, maybe he can pick up something there.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 7:45 am
Order a fancy cake or tort at the bakery that would have some personal wording on it. If you feel it's not enough, get them a beautiful platter to put this cake on. Add a special bottle of wine and you're all set. This is a lovely mishlo'ach manos and very appreciated. The wine can be used after Pesach too.

sbs

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 5:27 pm
I don't know how much money you're looking to spend but since purim is friday what about baking (or even buying) challah and putting it on a tray (it doesn't have to be the real expensive, fancy ones, just a nice tray, like you can buy in amazing savings.) and spend the money on a pretty embroidered maybe even personalized challah cover and if you want to spend more money even a silver challah knife?

morkush

Post Tue, Feb 26 2008, 10:52 am
Not sure if you thought of anything else yet, but how about oneof those tzedaka cards- that a donation has been made in your honour to etc etc.
Lots of organisations sell them before purim.
It is a great thing for someone who has eveything!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics