Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Can I make meatloaf out of ground lamb?
1  2  Next

jewishmom6

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:43 am
I need a recipe for meatloaf using ground lamb or anything other ideas to serve on yt.

Thank you!

avrahamama

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:52 am
You can make kabab or meatballs or shawarma ... I think a meat loaf would be too much lamb

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:05 am
Of course you can. Lamb has a gamier strong taste than beef or chicken so traditionally seasoned flavors might not work as well.

However Mediterranean and North African cuisines use ground lamb a lot.

Here is a meatloaf which is spiced liked the traditional Merguez sausage - notice that you mix the meat with spices ahead of time to let them marry.

Mike Solomonov’s Spicy Merguez Loaf

Excerpt From: Frank Bruni. “A Meatloaf in Every Oven

Serves 4

But in truth, in the time-to-benefit ratio, this dish is the greatest boon to your meatloaf-ing life. You can mix up the loaf in about five minutes, as there is minimal

FOR THE MERGUEZ

1 pound ground lamb
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground caraway
1 tablespoon ground cardamom
2 tablespoons ground fennel
2 tablespoons Aleppo pepper or hot or smoked paprika (not sweet)
1 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoons kosher salt
½ cup chopped fresh parsley
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons tahini sauce or paste (different brands label it differently)
1 cup harissa (store-bought or see recipe below)
1 cup torn challah bread
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, ends trimmed off
12 pitted black olives, cut in half

HARISSA KETCHUP (optional alternative to store-bought harissa)

1 cup Aleppo peppers (or easier-to-find serranos), seeded
6 tablespoons white vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon ground cumin

SUPER FANCY

1 jar grape leaves, rinsed

1. In a large bowl, combine the lamb with the spices, sugar, salt, parsley, cilantro, garlic and tahini. Mix thoroughly with your clean hands, cover and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.

2. If you are making your own harissa ketchup, combine all of its ingredients with 1 cup of water in a small pot and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until quite thick, roughly 30 minutes. Once it has thickened, puree it in a food processor or blender until creamy but not watery.

3. Put half of the homemade harissa ketchup or of the store-bought harissa into a medium-sized bowl and stir in the challah pieces with a spoon. Knead this into the meatloaf mixture and put it all back in the fridge for 10 more minutes.
4. Now would be a good time to turn on your oven, to 350 degrees F.

5. If you are using the grape leaves, line a terrine or loaf pan with those grape leaves. Otherwise skip this step.

6. Place half of the meatloaf mixture in the loaf pan, and arrange the hard-boiled eggs lengthwise in a line down the center. Scatter the olives between and around the eggs. Place the rest of the meatloaf mixture over the eggs, pressing it down lightly to cover them.

7. Slather the top of the loaf with the rest of the harissa.

8. Bake for about 45 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.

9. Allow the loaf to rest for 10 minutes in the pan; then remove from the pan, slice and serve.”

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:06 am
Here's a meat loaf made with ground lamb using traditional Moroccan spices

Meatloaf with Moroccan Flair

Excerpt From: Frank Bruni - A Meatloaf in Every Oven

Serves 6 generously

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
12 garlic cloves, minced
3 stalks celery, diced (about ½ cup)
1 large carrot, peeled and diced (about ½ cup)
3 inches fresh ginger, minced (about ⅓ cup)
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt”
7 tablespoons tomato paste
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
½ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
½ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup whole-wheat unseasoned bread crumbs
2 pounds ground lamb

SIDE SAUCE (OPTIONAL)

1 cup plain full-fat Greek-style yogurt - sub non-dairy yogurt if using
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
½ cup pine nuts, toasted in a 375 degree F oven until fragrant and golden brown (about 7 minutes)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Heat the olive oil in a large pan, and once it’s hot, toss in the onions. Stir for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for another minute or two. Then add the celery, carrots and ginger and cook for about 5 minutes, adding more olive oil as needed to make sure the ingredients are well coated and softening.

3. Next, add the spices: cinnamon, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika and salt. Stir them into the mixture well. Lastly, add the tomato paste. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring well. (You can alter the spices here to your liking, adding more or less of those recommended or adding curry powder, nutmeg, allspice, black pepper or cayenne.)

4. Once the mixture is cooked, remove the pan from the heat and let it cool for about 15 minutes.

5. While it cools, combine the fresh herbs—cilantro, mint and parsley—with the eggs and bread crumbs in a large bowl. Then add the ground lamb and the cooled mixture of onion, garlic, spices and tomato paste. Mix well with your clean hands until all ingredients are blended.

6. Place the meat mixture into a loaf pan and cover with aluminum foil. Then create a water bath by placing the loaf pan into a larger baking pan and filling the larger pan halfway with water. (This bath helps keep the meatloaf from drying out by keeping the temperature more even during baking.)

7. Put the meatloaf, in the bath, into the oven and cook for approximately 1 hour 30 minutes. After an hour, check the meatloaf, and remove the foil cover if you would like a firmer top to the loaf. Bake until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F.

8. Remove the pan from the oven, lift the loaf pan out of the water bath and let the meatloaf rest, uncovered, for at least 5 minutes. If there is excessive grease, which will depend on how fatty the meat was, you can carefully pour that out.

9. Serve warm, at room temperature, or cooled, depending on your taste.

10. For the sauce, mix the yogurt, lemon juice and pine nuts together, and serve in a small dish on the side.”

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:07 am
And here's one inspired by the flavors of Jerusalem using Israeli couscous as the binding :-)

Jerusalem Loaf with Sumac and Couscous

Serves 5

This recipe is inspired by the divine lamb meatballs with barberries from Jerusalem: A Cookbook, by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi, which is now pretty much a cult classic for home cooks interested in Middle Eastern food. The key is lamb with fruit, though we have substituted their barberries (would we do that to you?) with dried cranberries, and we’ve carefully chosen spices and herbs that capture the sensibility of the sauce that they use to steep the meatballs. These accents bring the earthiness of the lamb into relief and take you on a fragrant mental (and gustatory) journey across the ocean. Our binder here is in clever keeping with the ethnic spirit: Israeli couscous, also known as pearl couscous, which can be found in most grocery stores. We suggest a dollop of yogurt on top.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
⅓ cup chopped shallots
1⅔ pounds ground lamb
1 cup cooked Israeli couscous, prepared according to the package directions
2 large eggs
2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
⅓ cup mixed chopped fresh mint, tarragon, dill and cilantro
¾ teaspoon ground allspice
¾ teaspoon ground cumin
Scant ¼ teaspoon ground sumac
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
⅔ cup dried cranberries
Plain full-fat non-Greek yogurt, for serving (optional) - sub with non-dairy yogurt if using

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.

2. Heat the oil in a medium-sized skillet, add the onions and shallots and sauté until fragrant and soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.

3. In the meantime, combine all the remaining ingredients, except the yogurt, in a large bowl. When the onions are slightly cool, add them to the meat mix. With your clean hands, form a loaf on the prepared baking sheet, even in shape but narrowed at each end.

4. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until the interior is pink and the internal temperature reaches 155 degrees F. Remove the baking “sheet from the oven and let the loaf rest, uncovered, for 10 minutes before slicing.

Serve with dollops of yogurt, if desired. - Can use non-dairy yogurt if want to serve with yogurt

avrahamama

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:10 am
Amarante I still owe you and email. Sorry I got distracted and need to find the cookbook. You've tried these recipes? That spicy merguez sounds delish. I'd love for someone to cook it for me 😅

I guess meatloaf is such an American thing to me that it's hard to picture it with stronger flavor profiles...

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:12 am
Make kefta kebabs with it. Yum.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:16 am
Protip for meatloaf, do not be tempted to mix it with a spoon.

You HAVE to use your hands, in order to blend the flavors and have the texture turn out right. I hate touching ground meat, so I put on a pair of latex gloves.

Try to "fluff" up the meat, so it doesn't come out like a solid brick when you bake it. You want it to be meltingly tender, like a well made meatball.

Adding one egg to each pound of meat really improves the texture as well. Lamb is expensive, and can be mixed half and half with ground chicken to stretch it, and to give the loaf a lighter taste.

If you want to be extra fancy, hard boil some eggs and then peel them. Put half the meat in the pan, lay down the peeled eggs, and then gently pack the rest of the meat around the eggs. When you slice it it will be really pretty!

Meatloaf baked in papered muffin tins are great protein for packed lunches. Easy to eat, and no mess.

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 10:19 am
avrahamama wrote:
Amarante I still owe you and email. Sorry I got distracted and need to find the cookbook. You've tried these recipes? That spicy merguez sounds delish. I'd love for someone to cook it for me 😅

I guess meatloaf is such an American thing to me that it's hard to picture it with stronger flavor profiles...

No worries about the book or recipe - I was cooking other stuff for the past few weeks.

I haven't made these recipes but I have made other meatloaf recipes from this book. I made the recipe using Ground Duck and also one called Jewish Xmas Loaf which is Chinese flavors - named because it is a joke about the tradition of Jews eating Chinese food on Xmas. Those were both very good.

I think if someone likes the flavor profiles the recipes would be excellent since they are just using ground lamb in the form of a loaf instead of a meatball or small pieces like a stew. Sausage is just a form of meat loaf using ground meats with spices.

As I wrote, lamb has a much stronger flavor than beef or chicken but meatloaves made with chicken or beef generally use a lot of strong flavors to make the meatloaf interesting.

Here's one more which I haven't made which is inspired by Kibbeh

Kibbeh Loaf with Pine Nuts”

Excerpt From: Frank Bruni. “A Meatloaf in Every Oven

1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup diced onion
1 large onion, sliced thin
1 pound ground lamb
1 cup coarse-ground bulgur, rinsed and soaked in cold water for 20 minutes, then drained
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon ground allspice
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon hot paprika or Aleppo pepper
1 tablespoon salt
½ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
½ cup pine nuts, toasted in a 375 degree F oven until fragrant and golden brown (about 7 minutes)
Plain full-fat Greek-style yogurt, for serving (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.

2. Heat the oil in a medium-sized pan over medium heat. Add the diced onions and sauté until soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.

3. Turn the heat to low, add the onion slices to the pan and sauté until soft, 10 minutes or so. (If you keep the heat low enough, you can sauté them as long as you’d like.)

4. In the meantime, combine the lamb, bulgur, spices, salt and herbs in a large bowl. Add the cooled diced onions and combine gently with your clean hands until just mixed. Form the mixture into a loaf on the prepared baking sheet. Cover it with the softened onion slices and toasted pine nuts.

5. Bake for 40 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees F for medium-rare or 160 degrees F for medium. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the meatloaf rest, uncovered, for 10 minutes before slicing and serving, with with a dollop of yogurt on the side if you like”

jewishmom6

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:08 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Make kefta kebabs with it. Yum.

how do you make this?

jewishmom6

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:09 pm
I would love to try your recipes Amarante but they are too many steps just to try out.

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:10 pm
jewishmom6 wrote:
I would love to try your recipes Amarante but they are too many steps just to try out.

They are just what any meatloaf recipe is - you mix the meat with the spices and binders and egg and then bake.

How do you ordinarily make a meatloaf?

jewishmom6

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:11 pm
Amarante wrote:
They are just what any meatloaf recipe is - you mix the meat with the spices and binders and egg and then bake.

How do you ordinarily make a meatloaf?

not with sautéing vegetables.

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:20 pm
jewishmom6 wrote:
not with sautéing vegetables.

You can always sauté onions ahead of time at your leisure and add the sautéed onions when you put together the meatloaf. You could even make up a batch of sautéed onions and freeze them for use later.

There is a difference in results between using a sauted onion and a raw onion in a meatloaf or a stuffing. Sauteing the onion makes it sweeter so the end result tastes better as you get the taste of caramelized onion.

But there is nothing to stop you from NOT sautéing the onions if you like results of your meatloaves with raw onions added. The nice thing about recipes is that they can be modified and just used as inspiration.

However, knowing why something is done helps in terms of knowing how it will work in terms of modifying it.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:25 pm
jewishmom6 wrote:
how do you make this?

Mix up the meat with onion, parsley, mint, cilantro (I skip), cumin, coriander, cinnamon, salt. Form into logs and thread each on a skewer. Grill or broil.

HakarasHatov

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:33 pm
I use lamb all the time much tastier

jewishmom6

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 12:43 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Mix up the meat with onion, parsley, mint, cilantro (I skip), cumin, coriander, cinnamon, salt. Form into logs and thread each on a skewer. Grill or broil.

do you think I can make your BBQ meat loaf with Lamb or will it be too strong?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 1:33 pm
jewishmom6 wrote:
do you think I can make your BBQ meat loaf with Lamb or will it be too strong?

The lamb needs a savory seasoning.
How about lamb meatballs in pita with avocado salsa and tehina?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 1:59 pm
How about a savory spinach meatloaf?

https://jamiegeller.com/recipes/turkey-loaf/
You can skip the comsomme and just use the water (or chicken stock).

avrahamama

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 2:17 pm
My most popular dish is ground lamb sauteed with onion, salt, tumeric, cumin, chilli powder and cinnamon.

Then slather the inside of a pita with chummus add ground lamb. Brush both sides with oil and press in a panini till crisp.

You can also put in puff pastry shells instead of pita. You can add schug if you like (we like)

I also make lamb dumplings. Ground lamb, ground ginger, garlic, scallions, drop of sesame oil, soy sauce. And fill wonton wrappers with that. Serve with sweet and spicy soy sauce.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics