Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
S/O if for no other reason
1  2  3  Next

naomi2

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:36 pm
For Brooklyn residents: I noticed that in this thread and in almost all other covid threads people are really stressed about people not keeping to the rules because it's a chillul hashem and they don't want schools to close.
People have lost sight of the fact on the ground. That while people are still getting sick, it is not dangerous anymore for all but the tiniest percentage of people.
We have become so used to blindly following rules and being controlled. You realize noone cares about catching it only about what the government will do I they find out we have it!
Everytime someone has a cold or mild virus they need to run and test lest it be the " dreaded coronavirus" we can't even differentiate it from a sniffle!

It's so twisted.

There are more cases now than in the summer because there is more testing. Again, it's mandated by the government for people to test, sometimes multiple times in order to work or go to school so of course there will look like there is an "uptick" they have everyone shaking in their boots and wrapped around their finger. Talk to Drs that work in hospitals, do some research, and Change my mind.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:41 pm
naomi2 wrote:
For Brooklyn residents: I noticed that in this thread and in almost all other covid threads people are really stressed about people not keeping to the rules because it's a chillul hashem and they don't want schools to close.
People have lost sight of the fact on the ground. That while people are still getting sick, it is not dangerous anymore for all but the tiniest percentage of people.
We have become so used to blindly following rules and being controlled. You realize noone cares about catching it only about what the government will do I they find out we have it!
Everytime someone has a cold or mild virus they need to run and test lest it be the " dreaded coronavirus" we can't even differentiate it from a sniffle!

It's so twisted.

There are more cases now than in the summer because there is more testing. Again, it's mandated by the government for people to test, sometimes multiple times in order to work or go to school so of course there will look like there is an "uptick" they have everyone shaking in their boots and wrapped around their finger. Talk to Drs that work in hospitals, do some research, and Change my mind.

I dont agree. Respectfully, I am in monsey. I know a lot more people who are SICK with covid now than in the summer. Not just positive result, but sick.
Over the summer it was quiet (and there was already mandated testing in place, its not just now. My workplace requires regular testing and by june for sure it was easily accessible and required by many).
Now, it is not quiet.
Stats aside, I personally know of people who were recently hospitalized/are sick now. So I do believe theres an increase

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:44 pm
Forget chilul Hashem it's assur to violate the laws of your country. I mean there are exceptions but feeling like a mask is too hot is not one of them.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:44 pm
...Mom...?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:56 pm
People probably have developed some resistance to the virus but at this time last year, it didn't exist so I would not want to be unpleasantly surprised.

naomi2

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:57 pm
Little neshamala I specified Brooklyn or the greater nyc
Loves hashem your post was besides the point. Of course been should follow the laws of the land, my concern was that the laws are too controlling if all we are worried about is how will get punished for breaking them and not the natural consequence of catching the disease.

And haha I am not your mom but I had a good laugh:)

naomi2

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:59 pm
southernbubby wrote:
People probably have developed some resistance to the virus but at this time last year, it didn't exist so I would not want to be unpleasantly surprised.

Again, no facts here. We don't shut down a country and take away people freedoms because we might catch an illness. It's just not how the country was founded. This is not smallpox people

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:10 pm
naomi2 wrote:
(...) That while people are still getting sick, it is not dangerous anymore for all but the tiniest percentage of people. (...)

The death rate is still 2-3%... 30 times the death rate of flu.

Vulnerable people are not a "tiniest percentage of people", they are, depending how you count and who you include, 20-60% of the population.

The increase in registred cases signals a real increase in cases.

In summer, when many posters here argued that "Covid19 was over", the disease was endemic, circulating in schools, summer camps, at weddings, within families.

Probably, testing has been neglected during this period. Maybe even on purpose, so as not to disrupt the beautiful fairy tale that it was all over...

The characteristic of exponatial spread is that things can stay under the radar for quite a long time...

If it takes 5 days to double the number of cases, it will take 50 days to get from 2 to 1000, but in the next 50 days it will go from 1000 to 1'000'000...and somewhere in between, even those who believed in the fairy tale might become aware that the disease is still there.

Therefore, it is better not to believe in the fairy tale. It is better to see the 2-1000 first cases and to nip it in the bud... That's why testing and tracing is so important.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:11 pm
naomi2 wrote:
Again, no facts here. We don't shut down a country and take away people freedoms because we might catch an illness. It's just not how the country was founded. This is not smallpox people

200,000 people have died so far. 813 today alone. 1900 over the past week in Texas, California and Florida.

This is, and remains, a dangerous disease. In large part because of people who refuse to treat it as a dangerous disease.

naomi2

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:15 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

Vulnerable people are not a "tiniest percentage of people", they are, depending how you count and who you include, 20-60% of the population.

The increase in registred cases signals a real increase in cases.

In summer, when many posters here argued that "Covid19 was over", the disease was endemic, circulating in schools, summer camps, at weddings, within families.

Probably, testing has been neglected during this period. Maybe even on purpose, so as not to disrupt the beautiful fairy tale that it was all over...

The characteristic of exponatial spread is that things can stay under the radar for quite a long time...

If it takes 5 days to double the number of cases, it will take 50 days to get from 2 to 1000, but in the next 50 days it will go from 1000 to 1'000'000...and somewhere in between, even those who believed in the fairy tale might become aware that the disease is still there.

Therefore, it is better not to believe in the fairy tale. It is better to see the 2-1000 first cases and to nip it in the bud... That's why testing and tracing is so important.

The death rate in nyc is not 2-3 percent. That is outright misinformation. You can easily google.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:16 pm
Just curious. Who among your family and friends are you willing to sacrifice so that someone can have a big indoor wedding? Who are you willing to sacrifice so that you don't have to wear a mask at the supermarket?

nchr

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:19 pm
I've been appalled at how people feel like following the rules is a bad thing. I guess it's a personality thing. Breaking rules, pushing limits, arguing with authority, etc. is not something I can relate to as an adult. I know immature children or acting out teens do who then regret it as they are older, but the mentality in adults is foreign and bizarre to me.

Also, everyone I know IRL tries to avoid getting sick with anything - no one wants to be sick. I think the rational on that thread was, even if you are one of the people claiming that COVID19 does not exist, just comply due to Chillul Hashem and the law.

Last edited by nchr on Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

youngishbear

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:20 pm
Please stop lying that the government is controlling anyone in any way.

Schools have been operating openly and secretly since May, with no precautions or even mandatory testing. Ditto for most camps in certain circles.

Chasunos have been proceeding similarly, perhaps a side entrance being the sole concession to the new reality.

Shuls have not been graced by more than a by-now tattered sign or two about precautions, long since trampled underfoot.

No one is being controlled. We are not even controlling ourselves.

naomi2

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:26 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Just curious. Who among your family and friends are you willing to sacrifice so that someone can have a big indoor wedding? Who are you willing to sacrifice so that you don't have to wear a mask at the supermarket?

People die all the time. People get sick and they even catch if from people unknowingly. Why now, have the rules changed? The death rate is minuscule. We have never operated the rules of society based on your comments and we shouldn't now.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:34 pm
naomi2 wrote:

It's apparently enough of a concern to shut down the UK and Israel. LA county tried to make it against the law to visit bubby for the holidays but the Jews fought back and won.
It's hard to police what people do in their own homes but it can spread out of hand and if there is inadequate enforcement of large gatherings, how can bubby be kept in her place? Apparently these other countries are quarantining bubby so they must have adequate law enforcement.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:36 pm
Agree with much you are saying Naomi while at the same time I would not go to a big indoor wedding or do many of the other things I consider too risky for me.

Laiya

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:36 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

Is it? That's what it was back in the early days of March and April, when sick people were told to stay home till they couldn't breathe, then go to the hospital to be vented.

There's no comparison to our current understanding and treatment protocol, so the fatality rate should be significantly lower.

I would love to see a source for the current fatality rate.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:37 pm
naomi2 wrote:
People die all the time. People get sick and they even catch if from people unknowingly. Why now, have the rules changed? The death rate is minuscule. We have never operated the rules of society based on your comments and we shouldn't now.

I think that there have been times when rights were taken away such as when polio was going around. My mother used to talk about it.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:42 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Agree with much you are saying Naomi while at the same time I would not go to a big indoor wedding or do many of the other things I consider too risky for me.

I also sent regrets. I don't go to shul either. I know someone who recently went to a simcha and infected the family and because of the amount of kids involved, will result in a number of classes who can't come to school.
Now if it was viewed as no biggie, the other kids in the class and their families would simply be sick for awhile and then life would return to normal but apparently many people have a healthy respect for this virus.

naomi2

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:49 pm
You are all welcome to go to the recently updated cdc website and scroll down until you see the charts. Just take a look at what the infection mortality rate is for coronavirus, and then come tell me we are not being controlled inproportionately.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics