Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bathroom storage ideas...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 1:52 am
So I needed space to put things like the extra toilet paper/tissues/towels etc. so this isn't for daily storage needs and I don't mind using a stool to reach it. And not super heavy stuff. It would be in the master bathroom likely.
How crazy is it to put a cabinet over the toilet? We have huge empty space there and I want to utilize it well.
I was thinking a full on square box- like under the sink cabinets even but without the cutout for the sink/faucet. With doors so poop particles don't get on everything.
I would get a handyman to do it so its in the studs, bolted and secure.

Please don't tell me not to buy such huge quantities of stuff. I work full full time so I can't go running out for stuff. I like having backups especially when you never know when a sudden cold hits your kids and bye bye 3 boxes of tissues in a day. Or toddler sticks a roll of toilet paper (yes, this was right when it was hard to find!) in the toilet so it was ruined. So I want to keep the extras up and away.

Any other ideas? I don't like the do it yourself over the toilet standing shelving units. They are pretty flimsy. But I am trying to look for vertical storage spaces and this is what I came up with.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 7:14 am
Sounds good to me! Just make sure it shallow.
Too deep and it would overtake the look. And also people would bump into it when they sit on the toilet.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 7:20 am
As @ra_mom said just make sure you don’t bump your head when sitting on toilet.
Will it be hard to match your vanity?

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 7:43 am
I didn't want to do that, it made me nervous about bumping heads, things potentially falling into the toilet...
We bought a white wood standing cabinet about 2 ft tall that we keep between the sink and the toilet.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 4:14 pm
There are commercially available shelving units designed specifically to fit over a toilet. But I don't like to clutter up my small bathroom with fixtures and whatnot that it didn't come with, and, given the risk of leaks from above and spritzes from below, I prefer not to keep my full stock of TP and tissues in the bathroom, anyway. I store my main stock in a hall closet and bring down a couple of rolls to stash on a small wall-mounted shelf in the bathroom itself.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 4:26 pm
A few other ideas...

Between the studs storage like this:

Or build a shelf 7' off the ground (that's above the door casing).

Last edited by Rubber Ducky on Thu, Sep 24 2020, 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 4:26 pm
You can see some ideas here: https://images.search.yahoo.co.....cafee

We have open shelves over the toilet, but if I were designing it anew, I'd use a cabinet.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 9:01 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
A few other ideas...

Between the studs storage like this:

Or build a shelf 7' off the ground (that's above the door casing).

How much does something like that cost? Is it only for interior walls or can I do it for a wall that is on the exterior? I like the look...

But yeah, I might just do something like a shelf that high off the ground...
Hmm.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 9:26 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
You can see some ideas here: https://images.search.yahoo.co.....cafee

We have open shelves over the toilet, but if I were designing it anew, I'd use a cabinet.

https://images.search.yahoo.co.....v-web
This works since it's very shallow.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 9:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How much does something like that cost? Is it only for interior walls or can I do it for a wall that is on the exterior? I like the look...

This is for interior walls only. Between the studs storage like this is something you can build into an interior wall if it's not full of pipes. It can be built by a handyman or even by a very handy husband (or a very handy you). If you remove a stud when doing this, make sure the wall is not structural or add an appropriate ledger for support. The cost is whatever your handyman charges. Material costs are minimal.

SingALong

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:04 pm
I can’t post the image but I got an over the toilet storage unit from Amazon that I love. They run about 50-100, depending on the type you choose. I got one with doors on the shelves so it looks really neat. I can keep about 6 boxes of tissues, 3 rolls of toilet paper and a couple of packs of fresh wipes. The rest of the bulk goes on top shelf of my laundry room, or bottom of linen closet. But the bathroom stock lasts about a week, maybe more, easily. I found that the cheapest easiest option. The handyman who put it together screwed it into the wall behind with L brackets so it’s secure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics