Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Child hits you
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 3:28 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I agree with this. Sometimes saying "Ow, that hurt mommy" isn't enough. The child might laugh and say "Good!" "Making mommy sad" is a whole different level of communication.

It takes a long time for some kids to develop theory of mind. By naming emotions, you help your child realize that you also have feelings. Little kids really can't conceptualize what happens outside of their own reality. It has to be taught and modeled.

By "little kids" do you mean kids who don't yet have theory of mind?

Because some kids have theory of mind by 2.5yo.

behappy2

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 4:16 pm
I just had this yesterday and put child in time out. The only thing I generally use time out for.

pizza4

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 4:38 pm
I love these parenting threads. It's great and refreshing when people ask for advice on this, irl I don't find people to be receptive to these conversations.
To op: yeah sometimes kids will hit when they're upset. I learned to simply (stay calm!) And say- hey that hurt me, I'm going to move away because I don't want to get hurt (or something like that) and I'll be right here in the same room. Validating their feelings- I can tell you're so upset, you really wanted this thing and mommy said no, that's so disappointing! I always stay nearby even when the kid is thrashing and kicking and as soon as they're calmer they get a big hug and I tell them the story of what happened, like you got so angry before it was so hard for you etc.
Honestly most of the time the kid is upset because of something other than the cookie. Either she's hungry or feeling upset at a friend...
Would that work for you?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers