Home

Can we stop with the word "uptick" already?
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 9:57 am
This is no uptick anymore- this is an outbreak Sad
Back to top

Genius




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 9:59 am
The outbreak happened in March. The summer was quieter, now there is an uptick.
How do I write a line over the word to “erase” it?
Back to top

amother




Lavender
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:01 am
It should be called a spike.
Back to top

amother




Red
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:04 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
It should be called a spike.


Or a surge
Back to top

amother




Lemon
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is no uptick anymore- this is an outbreak Sad

Frum Jews should start saying that they went to protests, this way the "outbreak" will magically disappear and we can continue living in peace especially now during the holidays.
Back to top

Genius




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:28 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Frum Jews should start saying that they went to protests, this way the "outbreak" will magically disappear and we can continue living in peace especially now during the holidays.

There were way fewer cases during the protests than there are now. At that point the virus was mostly gone. It’s back now.
(I am NOT promoting another lockdown just setting things straight)
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:35 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Frum Jews should start saying that they went to protests, this way the "outbreak" will magically disappear and we can continue living in peace especially now during the holidays.


There is a marked increase in cases in certain NYC neighborhoods. If it continues, schools in those areas will be closed. If it spreads, NYC will experience additional restrictions, including school closures.

Whatever you think of the protests, there was no resultant increase in covid cases. Maybe because it was summer. Maybe because it was outdoors. Maybe because so many people were young, or because there was some mask wearing. Maybe plain dumb luck. But there was no action to take.

Maybe you don't care if people -- particularly frum people -- get sick or die, but I do.

BTW, OP, it is still an "uptick." If people button down and take it seriously, I am hopeful that it can be contained and controlled.

Shana tova.
Back to top

Mommyg8




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:43 am
SixOfWands wrote:
There is a marked increase in cases in certain NYC neighborhoods. If it continues, schools in those areas will be closed. If it spreads, NYC will experience additional restrictions, including school closures.

Whatever you think of the protests, there was no resultant increase in covid cases. Maybe because it was summer. Maybe because it was outdoors. Maybe because so many people were young, or because there was some mask wearing. Maybe plain dumb luck. But there was no action to take.

Maybe you don't care if people -- particularly frum people -- get sick or die, but I do.

BTW, OP, it is still an "uptick." If people button down and take it seriously, I am hopeful that it can be contained and controlled.

Shana tova.


Not anymore.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:45 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Not anymore.

No... an uptick is when there are 10, 20 even 30 cases in a community and we are more vigilant to make sure it doesn't spread. Not when 25% of my husband's kollel tested positive and whole schools have already shut down.
Back to top

ChanieMommy




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:47 am
I suppose it was endemic, undetected in summer, we don't know how much the protests did or did not contribute... or the camps or the weddings, or plain and simple tourism...

The surge can be felt everywhere, Israel locked down, Spain too, France should...
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:52 am
It's really semantics.

At this point statistically the percentage of cases in certain zip codes has risen above the level it was for a few months when it was decreasing and then stable. It is increasing in those zip codes more than it is in other zip codes - significantly higher numbers than in other zip codes.

What New York City is doing is what should be done all OVER the US and what is being practiced in those countries which have a handle on the pandemic. They are testing - they are isolating and attempting to nip it in the bud while the cases are lower and it can be contained.
Back to top

amother




Lemon
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:53 am
SixOfWands wrote:
There is a marked increase in cases in certain NYC neighborhoods. If it continues, schools in those areas will be closed. If it spreads, NYC will experience additional restrictions, including school closures.

Whatever you think of the protests, there was no resultant increase in covid cases. Maybe because it was summer. Maybe because it was outdoors. Maybe because so many people were young, or because there was some mask wearing. Maybe plain dumb luck. But there was no action to take.

Maybe you don't care if people -- particularly frum people -- get sick or die, but I do.

BTW, OP, it is still an "uptick." If people button down and take it seriously, I am hopeful that it can be contained and controlled.

Shana tova.

The numbers were higher during the riots and protests, the numbers continue to fluctuate and are no different than previous months. It is still less than 1% so the hysteria is uncalled for. Furthermore, to focus solely on the Jewish area is an outrage but then again, it is a holiday and we already know that the NY govt is anti-semitic and have previously singled out frum Jews so there is no reason to think that they wouldnt single us out again.

But my point about the protests was that the govt cannot ask anyone if they went to a protests as that would be against the first amendment but religious freedom is also under the first amendment therefore the govt cannot ask anyone about religion either. But if push comes to shove then religious Jews should say they went to protests so that will silence the govt and not allow them to persecute Jews further.

Here are the day to day statistics showing that there is indeed no uptick or increase but is relatively the same as previous months (keeping in mind that more people traveled during the summer months than they do now)-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....cases
Back to top

amother




Azure
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:03 am
SixOfWands wrote:


Whatever you think of the protests, there was no resultant increase in covid cases. Maybe because it was summer. Maybe because it was outdoors. Maybe because so many people were young, or because there was some mask wearing. Maybe plain dumb luck. But there was no action to take.



And maybe it simply wasn't reported becuase it didn't suit their purposes.
Back to top

amother




Linen
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No... an uptick is when there are 10, 20 even 30 cases in a community and we are more vigilant to make sure it doesn't spread. Not when 25% of my husband's kollel tested positive and whole schools have already shut down.


Wondering what area you live in?
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:05 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
The numbers were higher during the riots and protests, the numbers continue to fluctuate and are no different than previous months. It is still less than 1% so the hysteria is uncalled for. Furthermore, to focus solely on the Jewish area is an outrage but then again, it is a holiday and we already know that the NY govt is anti-semitic and have previously singled out frum Jews so there is no reason to think that they wouldnt single us out again.

But my point about the protests was that the govt cannot ask anyone if they went to a protests as that would be against the first amendment but religious freedom is also under the first amendment therefore the govt cannot ask anyone about religion either. But if push comes to shove then religious Jews should say they went to protests so that will silence the govt and not allow them to persecute Jews further.

Here are the day to day statistics showing that there is indeed no uptick or increase but is relatively the same as previous months (keeping in mind that more people traveled during the summer months than they do now)-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....cases


So you want to think that for some reason there is a vendetta against neighborhoods - for what purpose? They are sending out messages; conferring with community leaders and distributing supplies like masks and sanitizers?

They aren't dragging people away or locking them up or taking punitive measures.

I read the statistics and there is an increase in cases in certain zip codes and no increase in other zip codes. A few neighborhoods accounted for 20% of new cases in the past few weeks. That should be cause for alarm by people in those neighborhoods. They should be thankful to be alerted that COVID is spreading around them and they should be extra careful to avoid infecting themselves and those around them.

I really don't understand why there is so much controversy and people assume that public health officials have some kind of secret agenda with an intent to harm people. Banging head Banging head
Back to top

amother




Lemon
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:08 am
Amarante wrote:
So you want to think that for some reason there is a vendetta against neighborhoods - for what purpose? They are sending out messages; conferring with community leaders and distributing supplies like masks and sanitizers?

They aren't dragging people away or locking them up or taking punitive measures.

I read the statistics and there is an increase in cases in certain zip codes and no increase in other zip codes. A few neighborhoods accounted for 20% of new cases in the past few weeks. That should be cause for alarm by people in those neighborhoods. They should be thankful to be alerted that COVID is spreading around them and they should be extra careful to avoid infecting themselves and those around them.

I really don't understand why there is so much controversy and people assume that public health officials have some kind of secret agenda with an intent to harm people. Banging head Banging head

Follow some of the instagram accounts that are reporting what is happening, frum Jews are being harassed by contract tracers who are calling them multiple times a day, coming to visit, offering to take kids to quarantine hotels by themselves, etc. It is pretty scary and the harassment needs to stop already and if the only way to stop it is to say they went to a protest then so be it. But I guess you wont understand that until they come for you.
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:09 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
And maybe it simply wasn't reported becuase it didn't suit their purposes.


Reported by whom? Are you suggesting that the Trump Administration (which has directly received all test results, bypassing the CDC, since mid-July) has engaged in a national conspiracy to suppress positive test results by anyone who might possibly have attended a rally? That sounds ... unlikely.
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:12 am
This site -- kindly provided by someone in another thread (I forget who you are, but thanks again) shows recent case rate by zip code, and does show higher levels of infection in several heavily Jewish areas.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/......page
Back to top

Mommyg8




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:15 am
SixOfWands wrote:
This site -- kindly provided by someone in another thread (I forget who you are, but thanks again) shows recent case rate by zip code, and does show higher levels of infection in several heavily Jewish areas.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/......page


This site was last updated Sept. 12. Just keep that in mind. A lot of water under the bridge since then.

And it was Mama Bear - thanks Mama Bear!
Back to top

amother




Honeydew
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:16 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
This site was last updated Sept. 12. Just keep that in mind. A lot of water under the bridge since then.

And it was Mama Bear - thanks Mama Bear!


As in, the uptick is even worse in those zip codes since then?
Back to top
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Koby with "C" or "K"
by amother
13 Yesterday at 3:47 am View last post
S/O of "horrified" thread - sending kids away pp
by Rappel
283 Thu, Oct 22 2020, 5:42 pm View last post
"Job crafting"
by amother
0 Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:55 pm View last post
Can’t stop crying
by amother
7 Sun, Oct 18 2020, 8:05 pm View last post
How to get dd to stop sucking her thumb
by muss
2 Sat, Oct 17 2020, 11:06 pm View last post