Home

Week old bakery challah - any way to freshen it?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


bargainlover




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:48 am
My bakery gave away today all the challah from rosh hashana. I took 4 but wondering if they’ll even be good? Will reheating it help?
Back to top

ChanieMommy




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:53 am
Put it briefly under water, let rest briefly, put it in the oven at 180° for a few minutes, just before you want to eat it..

It will be fresh and good again as long as it's warm.

Otherwise:
Make toast or French toast or rusks or croutons or garlick bread or grate it for bread crumbs
Back to top

bargainlover




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 2:17 pm
180 degrees Fahrenheit?

Thwnks
Back to top

bargainlover




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:04 pm
Bump
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:21 pm
It's never going to be good to eat as soft bread like one would eat fresh bread.

Stale bread can be toasted as toast is essentially stale bread. Smile

Stale bread makes great croutons. It makes great breadcrumbs - bread crumbs made from real bread are better than commercial bread crumbs unless you are comparing to panko LOL

A bit more ambitious is making a bread pudding. Bread pudding made from challah is delicious and freezes well so you have it on hand when you want to serve it.
Back to top

Ellie7




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:47 pm
You van make stuffing.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 10:48 pm
Stale bread makes delicious French toast. It's better than fresh bread for French toast.
Back to top

simcha2




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:05 pm
I have a delicious chocolate bread pudding recipe if you want. A perfect warm dessert for succot.
Back to top

grateful2bmom




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:33 pm
simcha2 wrote:
I have a delicious chocolate bread pudding recipe if you want. A perfect warm dessert for succot.


Recipe please
Back to top

simcha2




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:38 pm
grateful2bmom wrote:
Recipe please


Bli neder, I'll post in the morning.

Mine is similar to Amarante's, but written parev.

3c creamer
1t vanilla
8oz chocolate chips
4 eggs
1/2c sugar
Bread

Break the bread into small chunks and spread in the bottom of a 9x13 pan (1 to 1.5 layers thick, shouldn't be nearly laid).

Bring creamer and vanilla to a boil. Add chocolate chips to melt.
Whisk eggs and add sugar.
Combine mixtures. Pour over bread and mix to cover.
Leave 1 hour.
Bake at 325 for 40 minutes.

Serve warm or room temperature.


Last edited by simcha2 on Fri, Sep 25 2020, 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

grateful2bmom




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:44 pm
Thank you!
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:50 pm
Chocolate Challah Bread Pudding

Ingredients

For pudding

5 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups whole milk
2½ cups heavy cream
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla extract
6 oz semi sweet chocolate, chunks
12 cups challah bread, 1 inch cubes

For topping

2 tbsp unsalted butter
½ ground cinnamon
3 tbsp sugar

Instructions

Prepare the pudding: In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Add the milk, cream, melted butter, salt, vanilla and chocolate chunks.

Toss 8 cups of the challah cubes with the custard, making sure all of the cubes are well coated. Transfer the cubes to a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, cover it lightly with plastic wrap, and allow to sit for 20 minutes

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325

Make the topping: Combine the melted butter, cinnamon and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Mix in the remaining 4 cups of challah. Place these challah cubes on top of the pudding and press down on them to partially submerge the bread (this will become the crispy topping).

Bake for 50 minutes or until set. Serve warm, straight from the skillet

Notes

Top with whipped cream and caramel sauce for an extra decadent treat
Back to top

grateful2bmom




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:25 pm
Amarante wrote:
Chocolate Challah Bread Pudding

Ingredients

For pudding

5 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups whole milk
2½ cups heavy cream
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla extract
6 oz semi sweet chocolate, chunks
12 cups challah bread, 1 inch cubes

For topping

2 tbsp unsalted butter
½ ground cinnamon
3 tbsp sugar

Instructions

Prepare the pudding: In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Add the milk, cream, melted butter, salt, vanilla and chocolate chunks.

Toss 8 cups of the challah cubes with the custard, making sure all of the cubes are well coated. Transfer the cubes to a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, cover it lightly with plastic wrap, and allow to sit for 20 minutes

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325

Make the topping: Combine the melted butter, cinnamon and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Mix in the remaining 4 cups of challah. Place these challah cubes on top of the pudding and press down on them to partially submerge the bread (this will become the crispy topping).

Bake for 50 minutes or until set. Serve warm, straight from the skillet

Notes

Top with whipped cream and caramel sauce for an extra decadent treat


Looks super decadent! Have you ever made this pareve?
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Sep 25 2020, 1:45 pm
grateful2bmom wrote:
Looks super decadent! Have you ever made this pareve?


No. It depends on high quality dairy products so I would make a dessert that didn’t depend so heavily on butter, cream and milk.
Back to top

grateful2bmom




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Sep 25 2020, 3:09 pm
Amarante wrote:
No. It depends on high quality dairy products so I would make a dessert that didn’t depend so heavily on butter, cream and milk.


That’s what I thought. I’ll try simcha2’s recipe.
Have a good Shabbos!
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Sep 25 2020, 3:16 pm
grateful2bmom wrote:
That’s what I thought. I’ll try simcha2’s recipe.
Have a good Shabbos!


I’ve made my version for a dairy brunch. It’s easy to pop in the evening because you can prep everything earlier or even the night before.

The savory version is usually called a strata and is made with cheese and is super delicious as well as being easy. I make mine with 🍄 mushrooms.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads

Related Topics Replies Last Post
ISO oatmeal challah
by amother
3 Yesterday at 9:28 am View last post
Can I serve chicken soup from week to week? Advice asap plz
by artsy
16 Fri, Oct 16 2020, 4:09 pm View last post
Two week old with multiple infections
by amother
91 Thu, Oct 15 2020, 9:28 pm View last post
Ronit's Awesome 100% Whole Wheat Challah Recipe
by ra_mom
22 Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:18 am View last post
Whole wheat challah 6 Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:12 am View last post