Home

How to keep soup hot

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


cbg




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 5:58 pm
Chicken soup
For the day
But I don’t want it to taste over cooked
Back to top

andrea levy




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 6:10 pm
Do you have an instant pot? I like their slow cook mode.
Back to top

cbg




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 6:48 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Do you have an instant pot? I like their slow cook mode.


No but I have a crock pot and a warming drawer

The broth is made
I just put raw zucchini and celery
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 6:52 pm
cbg wrote:
No but I have a crock pot and a warming drawer

The broth is made
I just put raw zucchini and celery

Bring it to a boil so that it's hot. They put it on keep warm in the crockpot.
Back to top

cbg




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 6:57 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Bring it to a boil so that it's hot. They put it on keep warm in the crockpot.


Should I cook the zucchini and celery
Or leave it raw
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 24 2020, 6:58 pm
cbg wrote:
Should I cook the zucchini and celery
Or leave it raw

How long will it sit on keep warm? I thought you meant the soup was ready and you wanted it to stay hot for the day. Do you mean overnight on shabbos? I wouldn't keep it on keep warm for so long.
Back to top

cbg




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Sep 25 2020, 3:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
How long will it sit on keep warm? I thought you meant the soup was ready and you wanted it to stay hot for the day. Do you mean overnight on shabbos? I wouldn't keep it on keep warm for so long.


Broth is made
I added cooked shredded chicken
And fresh celery and zucchini raw
I want it to be good to eat Shabbos day
Back to top

NotInNJMommy




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Sep 25 2020, 3:36 pm
If you want to leave it, already hot, in a slow cooker on low (not warm), you may be able to add hot water directly from a hot water urn if you haven in order to keep it from getting thick etc. One has to apply the halachahs about removing/returning the crock pot to the warming element, etc. when they do that too.

I'm not sure "warm" settings on slow cookers are consistently warm enough for long term use on Shabbos re: food safety.
Back to top

cbg




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Sep 25 2020, 3:42 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
If you want to leave it, already hot, in a slow cooker on low (not warm), you may be able to add hot water directly from a hot water urn if you haven in order to keep it from getting thick etc. One has to apply the halachahs about removing/returning the crock pot to the warming element, etc. when they do that too.

I'm not sure "warm" settings on slow cookers are consistently warm enough for long term use on Shabbos re: food safety.


Sorry we don’t hold that we can add hot water
Should I add extra water before Shabbat and hope for the best
Back to top

NotInNJMommy




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Sep 25 2020, 3:45 pm
cbg wrote:
Sorry we don’t hold that we can add hot water
Should I add extra water before Shabbat and hope for the best


Oh wow. I didn't think adding from a kli rishon was a not generally universal thing, good to know.

If I weren't going to add water during shabbos for whatever reason, I'd just add more water before shabbos, but make sure everything is cooked and yad soledes bo by shkiah.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus

Related Topics Replies Last Post
How to lose weight and keep it off. 138 Yesterday at 1:57 pm View last post
Post your favorite soup recipes!
by HH613
32 Wed, Oct 21 2020, 1:03 pm View last post
Keep an eye on your toddler!
by amother
29 Wed, Oct 21 2020, 12:19 am View last post
Need help please with barley soup?
by amother
4 Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:37 pm View last post
No FODMAP soup recipes
by STMommy
3 Tue, Oct 20 2020, 1:29 pm View last post